Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/10/2011, 08:35 PM   #1
daveonbass
Registered Member

rapid moonlights installed on ATI PM!

I just wanted to give a sneak preview of my new moonlights from rapid led. They look amazing. I installed them on an ATI powermodule, and I did it in a way that was clean, cheap, and didn't have to change the PM at all. (read: no drilling or ruining the original fixture)

I took this with my phone. I'll post better pics from my dslr tomorrow after I get the night shots done right.

Current Tank Info: 58g reef, 60 total gallons including rocks and sand, 36" 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, DAS skimmer, Bio pellets, 2 MP10 vortechs
daveonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2011, 11:08 AM   #2
NewBostonConst
Premium Member

Looks good....I would love to see pics of the install.

NewBostonConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2011, 01:57 PM   #3
Denverreefer
Registered Member

that looks awesome!

Denverreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2011, 04:38 PM   #4
BANANAHANDS
Registered Member

More pics! I'd like to see the actual LEDs on the fixture.
Thanks!

Looks good btw.

BANANAHANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/11/2011, 06:34 PM   #5
daveonbass
Registered Member

Quick explanation. I have a 6x39w ATI PM. So its actual dimension length wise is like 34.25" and not 36. So the aluminum L bar that I got as a heat sink is slightly oversized, but this worked out just fine. I wanted to mount it on the front, but not have LED glare web vied from my bed. (gotta sleep)

So I have the heat sink blocking the leds from the front. The leds are up underneath. I simply bought the 15 dollar kit, 20 with shipping, from rapid leds. And then 14 bucks worth of supplies (I had the rest) and my set up is ready to build.

Soldered the wires to the leds, pre-tining worked wonders here. Used the included thermal sticky pads to mount the leds to the inside of the L rail. Then screwed the L brackets into the holes I drilled (even after measuring 3 times it was a tight fit). Then the best part...I used the screws that are already on the ATI PM to mount the light rail to the fixture. Thus way I don't damage anything on the existing light...I can always take it off and still have a perfectly normal ATI.

Finally some pics...again it'll be a day or two before I can upload the pics from my dslr, but here are some from my phone.

Right side attachment

Left side attachment, also where the wires come out.

Leds off, notice how they are underneath, inside the L bar.

Cord side underneath showing the mounting of the L bracket to the L bar.

Front left showing the overhang of the L bar.

Leds on.

Full left side shot showing the L bar hanging down to block the glare from the front, and to show how little of the front bulb is lost by adding the lights to this spot on the fixture.

Hope you like, feel free to ask any questions. I'm actually now thinking can add more POP in the same way by putting more leds on the same bar with optics to add more royal blue POP to the overall daylight look of the tank.

Current Tank Info: 58g reef, 60 total gallons including rocks and sand, 36" 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, DAS skimmer, Bio pellets, 2 MP10 vortechs
Unread 08/12/2011, 02:12 AM   #6
daveonbass
Registered Member

here are the pics from the DSLR.

right

left

Unread 08/12/2011, 02:20 AM   #7
daveonbass
Registered Member

now the pics of the tank, bare in mind all the florescence is hard to capture on camera.

FTS

caps under exposed (not showing the pop)

a little more pop (this is close)

closer

sunset monti

blood red chalice, orange rics, and birds nest

closer

greens pop. Spongodes and an unknown acro

GSP