Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/07/2015, 08:25 AM   #1
1st29bio
Registered Member

PH levels

So my tank is about a month old 29 gal corallife biocube. I have around 40 lbs of live rock. My Ph is 7.8. Ammonia is .25 nitrites .25 nitrates threw the roof. This I kinda expected. My question is how should I raise my ph levels. Should I try an air stone first, or just go straight to raising it using a chemical or baking soda. I'm open to any ideas.

1st29bio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 08:47 AM   #2
Stackemdeep
Registered Member

With a new small biocube I suggest being patient with PH. Make sure you have good water movement on the top and the tank is open for gas exchange with plenty of flow in the tank. A couple of gallons water change every few days will keep your chemistry balanced. Allow the cycle to complete and eventually the ph will balance to where it wants to be. 7.8 while on the low side is not a crisis. Fresh air and a skimmer may also help. Many new reefers create a larger problem chasing ph early in this process and my suggestion would be to keep the big 3 balanced with frequent water changes first and not worry about the actual ph number. Good Luck!

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS tank
Stackemdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 08:48 AM   #3
downbeach
Registered Member

Here is a good article:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-05/rhf/index.php#3

This is one of four that I'd suggest are good articles to keep for reading, both now and in the future. You'll see reference to these when you open this one.

downbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 09:32 AM   #4
\Clownfish/
Saltwater Beginner

I was also wondering about this when when I set my tank up on day two. My tank is still cycling but we'll see what happens when the cycle is complete.

Unread 02/07/2015, 11:15 AM   #5
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

As noted in the article 7.8 to 8.4 is acdeptable. FWIW,mine runs 8.15 to 8.35 daily swing. Over 8.4 chances are higher for unwannted abiotic preciptation of calcium carbonate . Under 7.7 live rock,coral sand and the skeletal mass orf calcifying organisms can begin to dissolve.

Raisng pH is mostly about controlling CO2 levels in the tank and the air surrounding it ; not about using alkalinity as"buffers" which often results in high alkainity and low pH despite manufacturer's claims .

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 11:47 AM   #6
disc1
-RT * ln(k)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st29bio View Post
So my tank is about a month old 29 gal corallife biocube. I have around 40 lbs of live rock. My Ph is 7.8. Ammonia is .25 nitrites .25 nitrates threw the roof. This I kinda expected. My question is how should I raise my ph levels. Should I try an air stone first, or just go straight to raising it using a chemical or baking soda. I'm open to any ideas.
While you're still cycling don't worry with it. The process of cycling in a tank tends to depress alkalinity and pH. Wait until you're through cycling to see where you really are before you start chasing pH around.

Current Tank: Undergoing reconstruction...
disc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 11:56 AM   #7
1st29bio
Registered Member

Thanks for all the info I will be patient for now. How big of water changes should I be doing.

Unread 02/07/2015, 01:19 PM   #8
1st29bio
Registered Member

I'm installing a power head today also. I do weekly 5 gal water changes RO water. Is that too much ?

Unread 02/07/2015, 01:27 PM   #9
tmz
ReefKeeping Mag staff

17% per week water changes seems high to me. I wouldn't do any during cycling unless ammonia was very high . FWIW, on an established system I do 1% per day.

Current Tank Info: Tank of the Month , November 2011 : 600gal integrated system: 3 display tanks (120 g, 90g, 89g),several frag/grow out tanks, macroalgae refugia, cryptic zones. 40+ fish, seahorses, sps,lps,leathers, zoanthidae and non photosynthetic corals.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 02:07 PM   #10
itche_scratche
Registered Member

Open your windows will increase your ph. Run your skimmer intake to outside also increase your ph. Co2 scrubber also increase it. I ran my skimmer intake outside. It increased about .2 ph

Unread 02/07/2015, 02:58 PM   #11
Stackemdeep
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st29bio View Post
Thanks for all the info I will be patient for now. How big of water changes should I be doing.
With 40# of live rock in a 29 tank use 20 gallons as your water column for a starting point later on when you start dosing etc. You did not mention a sand bottom? A couple of gallons is fine to begin with for wc. I help a friend with a 30g and we have found his column to be 22 gallons. Good advice listed above.

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS tank
Stackemdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 03:14 PM   #12
1st29bio
Registered Member

Yea I believe I have about 20 gal I do have about 1 1/2 to 2 in sand bottom

Unread 02/07/2015, 03:17 PM   #13
1st29bio
Registered Member

Also just add aquatop power head 264 gal/hr not the best but better than nothing.

Unread 02/07/2015, 04:33 PM   #14
Kalen
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackemdeep View Post
With 40# of live rock in a 29 tank use 20 gallons as your water column for a starting point later on when you start dosing etc. You did not mention a sand bottom? A couple of gallons is fine to begin with for wc. I help a friend with a 30g and we have found his column to be 22 gallons. Good advice listed above.
1st2bio

I have been working with stackemdeep since the beginning of the year. Stackem is full of good info. With time and patients I have learned how to keep my tank stable with doing the proper maintenance on the tank, but at the same time doing things the smart and easy way with out taking any sort cuts.

I wish you the best.
Good luck.

Kalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 04:43 PM   #15
Sk8r
RC Mod

Once your tank cycles, start tracking alkalinity: this is a far more important guide to your tank's actual condition than PH.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2015, 05:05 PM   #16
Kalen
Registered Member

Your tank is still cycling for being up for a month or so.

During the cycling process I would recommend that you do small wc. 2 gallons every couple of days. Measure your salt in accordance to what your salt mix parameters recommend. During the cycle process keep an eye on your no3 and nhm3. The cycling process can take a few months or longer to fully cycle. After that process start keeping an eye on your big three. Mainly your kh. Ph is not really a concern. Over time your ph will stabilize and set itself on its own.

You'll want to start out with a good clean up crew. A few weeks later coral or a couple of fish, which ever you decide and then a couple weeks after that what ever is left coral or fish.

Remember don't rush things. Slow and steady well get you good results. However if you do lose a any live stock is not the end of the world. Don't give up hope and don't let it discourage you.

Kalen is offline   Reply With Quote