Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/21/2012, 02:04 AM   #1
Pico1
Registered Member

NEW Tunze 9004 Skimmer- Unboxing and Initial Review

It's here! It's finally here!

After a long wait, my new Tunze 9004 skimmer arrived in the mail today. I remember being just as excited in November 2006 when I was among the first to recieve the Tunze Nanostream pumps. For some of us this hobby is about the fish and corals, and for others we know it's really about the TOYS!

Initial Thoughts: I'm really glad Tunze finally made a skimmer to fit between the tiny 9002 and beefy 9006. The Comline DOC skimmers have a great design that is tried and true, but it will be interesting to see how the modifications made to the 9004 improve performance. The price is fantastic considering the competition and the steep price jump between the 9002 and 9006. Then there's the fact that you're getting a Tunze product with excellent quality, resale value, and customer service provided by Roger.

The Good: Simple, well designed, and quality construction. QUIET (Can't even hear this bad boy when my VorTech MP10 is anywhere above 50% power). The included cleaning brush is a nice touch. Easy to install and dial in immediately...setup took about 10 minutes. I like that the collection cup is easy to remove but still feels secure, no twisting and yanking like on some other skimmers.

The Bad: Somehow my box didn't include the foam for the bottom of the skimmer. I do have some microbubbles getting into the display but I'm hoping these will die down as the skimmer breaks in. Of course this accessory is not necessary for function and I could easily cut my own foam to size, but I want my custom foam. Also, my glass is the maximum thickness for the skimmer's magnet holders (3/8) so it's not as glued to the wall as I would like, but it gets the job done. Neither of these things will apply to most users.

I will update as the skimmer breaks in and I get some skimmate. Enjoy the pictures!

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 170
Pico1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 02:04 AM   #2
Pico1
Registered Member

Unread 11/21/2012, 07:07 AM   #3
gorally
Registered Member

Hi Jordan, does the skimmate cup has any external drinkage? How easy to take out the cut for disposal?

gorally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 08:03 AM   #4
blackstrat
Registered Member

Woke up this morning to skimmate.
So far so good.
I'll add more thoughts on this skimmer as I gather them.
One thing of note on the clear rubberized dimple appliqués.
They go on the 2 outside magnets 4 corner brackets.
I suppose they protect the glass.
Directions could have been clearer though, imho.

blackstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 09:14 AM   #5
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The foam is not included, it is an optional accessory and we don't yet have them stateside. We had a Beta test model in use since June and it included the foam, while I can say it does eliminate the microbubbles during break in, that is really it's only use and long term it would be cumbersome. After a few days most of the bubbles were gone and the foam tends to clog and become a real chore, surface skimming stops and the skimmer slows production until the foam is cleaned which we found was necessary every 2-3 days. It is not something I would consider unless it was a critical situation, we did not include it as standard for this reason, it adds its own headaches.

I agree we could possibly make the bumpon installation more clear, since all of our products have these and have used them for so many years it becomes an assumption that everyone understands it and we forget in writing the manuals that this won't be so clear to a new user. All four corners of each magnet get the bumpons, contrary to popular belief though, they do not protect the glass or acrylic, that maybe an aside but is not the intended function, they reduce noise transfer a little and primarily they increase the holding power much like the feet of a gecko.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon planted tank with Altum Angelfish
rvitko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 11:23 AM   #6
blackstrat
Registered Member

Hey Gorally.
To add my perspective, the cup lifts out with ease.
I don't understand when you say.."does the skimmate cup has any external drinkage?"
So, can't help you there.

Unread 11/21/2012, 11:38 AM   #7
atreis
Registered Member

I suspect he meant drain - so that you can use an external collection cup...

Current Tank Info: custom 100g reef, custom sump
atreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 12:32 PM   #8
Pico1
Registered Member

Gorally- There are no modifications for external drainage out of the box. Due to the raised lip design providing clearance in the back, it would be easy to modify and add your own external drain from the cup (see pictures 7 & 8 from the top). The cup is easy to take out for disposal.

Blackstrat- Thanks for adding your user experience as well. Like Roger, most of us familiar with Tunze products forget that some things may appear more complicated than they really are to new users.

Roger- Thanks for clearing up the issue with the foam. The only reason I had assumed it was included was because in the manual (yes I read it cover to cover lol) it lists both the foam and the magnet spacers as an accessory, while the magnet spacers are included initially. My thought is why not include it as it must cost a whole 2 cents to make, but I also understand how it could quickly lower performance of the skimmer and you can't expect everyone to understand that it's only for the break in period, leading to frustrated users. Seriously- very minor things compared to to all the great things I have to say about this skimmer. 5 stars for sure!

Unread 11/21/2012, 12:40 PM   #9
Pico1
Registered Member

Alright guys- this is the skim produced after the first 12 hours. Pretty impressive considering most skimmers take at least several days to start making gunk on the neck and tea like skim.

Unread 11/21/2012, 12:56 PM   #10
Flatlander
Premium Member

Thanks for the review and pics. I guess my Reepack 250 should be in soon I assume.

Current Tank Info: 50g sumpless sps tank..Evergrow 2081 led..Apex control..Tunze 9012 skimmer..Tunze calcium reactor..Tunze kalk reactor..2 rw8,s..1 MP40..1 Hydor Korillia 1200gph..Tunze ATO..all propagated sps frags
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 09:32 PM   #11
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Thanks for the review and the pictures, I saw that skimmer at a show in the OC very nice. Looks like Tunze as adopted the mod's air line tweak, turning the blue screw could be difficult depending on how the skimmer was facing.

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2012, 10:40 AM   #12
blackstrat
Registered Member

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Roger
Is the magnetic extension 6025.512 available for sale?
You mentioned, I believe, that the woven filter medium is not yet available, hence the inquiry.
If available, just order it from Eric at my lfs? What is the price please?

My 9004 is not flush at the top of my corner tank with its rim/edge and not as secure as it would be if it were it on the glass.
So then, is this magnetic extension what will do the trick for me?

Thanks

Unread 11/22/2012, 10:50 AM   #13
blackstrat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico1 View Post
Alright guys- this is the skim produced after the first 12 hours. Pretty impressive considering most skimmers take at least several days to start making gunk on the neck and tea like skim.

Hi Pico

Why is it, as you say..." most skimmers take at least several days to start making gunk on the neck and tea like skim.".....

What is the reason for this?

Thanks

Unread 11/26/2012, 09:10 AM   #14
rvitko
RC Sponsor

6025.501 is what you would need, it is a new outside magnet that boosts the holding power.

The foam pads will arrive this week, they are $5.61.

"He's for every one of us, stands for every one of us, he'll save every man, woman and child in a mighty Flash!"

Unread 11/27/2012, 06:09 AM   #15
reefsurfing
Registered Member

hows the skimmer holding up?

reefsurfing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2012, 06:50 AM   #16
blackstrat
Registered Member

Mine is working perfectly.
This is my first protein skimmer so my opinion is to be judged with that in mind but....
In addition to being very quiet, I am getting amazingly stinky skimmate which I clean out every day.
And isn't that what a PS should do?
I hope it lasts a long time.

Unread 12/10/2012, 02:03 PM   #17
chlwodud85
Registered Member

Wanted to give my comment about the skimmer.
As everyone is saying this is a super quiet skimmer, like anything I this hobby silence is unlikely to happen but I have my tank in my room and I can barely hear it.

The items that came with it looked high in quality and very sturdy and its been skimming great for the last few days.

One question I have for the other users would be are you guys getting pretty wet skims or thick skims. I tried to adjust the placement of the skimmer to produce drier skim but have not been successful. It could be because I had it on for about a week only but just wanted to throw out there.

This is a great skimmer and I have had my fair share of skimmers, and I have to say the tunze 9004 is the best skimmer for my 20g long.

chlwodud85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2012, 02:04 PM   #18
chlwodud85
Registered Member

As everyone is saying this is a super quiet skimmer, like anything in this hobby silence is unlikely to happen but I have my tank in my room and I can barely hear it.

The items that came with it looked high in quality and very sturdy and its been skimming great for the last few days.

One question I have for the other users would be are you guys getting pretty wet skims or thick skims. I tried to adjust the placement of the skimmer to produce drier skim but have not been successful. It could be because I had it on for about a week only but just wanted to throw out there.

This is a great skimmer and I have had my fair share of skimmers, and I have to say the tunze 9004 is the best skimmer for my 20g long.

chlwodud85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2012, 05:10 PM   #19
ksed
Registered Member

I have one to. I also find it skims on the wet side but this is typically usual with small skimmer like this one. I also find it is very quiet.
the only thing I have a beef about is that it has to many snap on parts to get the pump out. I already broke a tab where the magnet mounts on to the skimmer. I am afraid to service the pump to break the side tabs on the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlwodud85 View Post
As everyone is saying this is a super quiet skimmer, like anything in this hobby silence is unlikely to happen but I have my tank in my room and I can barely hear it.

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2012, 05:19 PM   #20
rvitko
RC Sponsor

The magnet tabs are essentially meant to be clicked in once and never removed, they don't unclip easily. The rest of the housing clips though are thicker and should withstand this use. We have been testing this skimmer since mid 2011 so it has over a year of testing and refinement before it ever went to market.

Unread 12/11/2012, 04:34 AM   #21
ksed
Registered Member

Thanks Roger that's more comforting to know.
I had to remove the magnets to install the extender, so that it doesn't hit the frame of the tank.

ksed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2012, 10:15 PM   #22
ecureefer
Registered Member

Any new pics or vids of this skimmer in action? Seems to only be one or two on YouTube. Thanks

ecureefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2012, 10:11 PM   #23
Flatlander
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecureefer View Post
Any new pics or vids of this skimmer in action? Seems to only be one or two on YouTube. Thanks
Sorry. Photobucket just wont let me move it for some reason. No tags. Ok kool. Loaded it below. Guess they changed stuff around.

Current Tank Info: 50g sumpless sps tank..Evergrow 2081 led..Apex control..Tunze 9012 skimmer..Tunze calcium reactor..Tunze kalk reactor..2 rw8,s..1 MP40..1 Hydor Korillia 1200gph..Tunze ATO..all propagated sps frags

Last edited by Flatlander; 12/13/2012 at 10:27 PM.
Unread 12/13/2012, 10:23 PM   #24
Flatlander
Premium Member

Unread 01/30/2013, 07:40 PM   #25
arc eye
Registered Member

Any updates on performance? I am planning on using one for an ADA 90p build.

Since it appears to skim on the wet side, how long does it take to fill the collection cup?

Current Tank Info: Out of hobby
arc eye is offline   Reply With Quote