Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/16/2014, 01:19 PM   #1
bulabr
Registered Member

Exclamation Advice for opened tanks - Danger unexpected

Hi guys

I would like to share my bad experience last night with my tank.

I was sleeping with my wife in my bedroom last night when she woke up with some strange noise in the living room (place where is tank). She woke me up and said, I hear some strange noise in the living room. As my house is extremely silent and I did everything in my tank system to avoid noises with the pumps, sump and waterfall (I got around 40 dB at 1 meter of the tank) I went there to look into. First everything seems ok, but I heard some strange noise each 30 seconds and I could not identify. After, I realized some water in the floor and I thought strange as well. My tank is on the corner of two walls. I took the flashlight to see the back, between the wall and the tank.

VERY BAD SURPRISE.

My beautiful and big Yellow Tang was on the floor, agonizing. TOTAL PANIC, because the access is very restrict(he was one the corner opposite my easy access. He was immovable. I took one broom to push him to my side, as it is impossible to move away the tank from the wall. I took him and put right away back in the tank. He was very very dizzy, but alive. He started to swim inclined and without direction. After 2 minutes he was much better. I dont know how many minutes he was on the floor, but I believe more than 5 minutes. He jumped above my waterfall coast-to-coast. I imagine one jump of minimum 30 centimeters, and there was water splashed 2 meter from the tank. This morning he was better, but not 100%. Seems that the right flipper is not OK, maybe because the high fall. I have my tank for more than one year, and never faced this kind of problem. There is no apparent reason to him to jumped that way. Maybe because he was sleeping and he became afraid of something in the dark, he jumped.

Well, now as I've heard that glass panel block the light, increase the water temperature and doesn't promote the evaporation, I'm thinking in to put on the tank(cover) some plastic fence or maybe a egg crate silver lighting panel to avoid the accident again. Silver to reflect the light and avoid maximum the losses. Well, despite my preference for the opened tank conception, this way could put in risk the life of our little friends. Maybe one canopy should be better in the future. Some opinions are very welcome.

MY MESSAGE: DON’T WAIT FOR SOME ACTION ABOUT OPENED TANK, COULD BE TOO LATE.

Bulabr

PS: Thanks for my wife and her light sleep. She saved one life.

bulabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2014, 01:22 PM   #2
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

This thread has been moved to the current forum.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2014, 01:42 PM   #3
sully6956
Registered Member

I started out with glass lids but they trapped too much heat. I ended up making my own screens from Home Depot using the window screen frame kits and some pond netting. No more heat issues and they don't block the light.

sully6956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2014, 02:48 PM   #4
davocean
Registered Member

You should look into the screen net tops, many of us have gone that route.
BRS sells kits

Current Tank Info: SCA 120g RR Starfire, Tunze silence 1073.02 return, 40g sump w/ fuge, SWC Extreme 160 cone skimmer,Geismann reflexx 4xT5, 2x Panorama Pro LED strips, Vortech MP40QD
davocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2014, 02:58 PM   #5
TreyK
Registered Member

Just order the clear netting from BRS and make a cover..

Unread 10/16/2014, 03:08 PM   #6
thegrun
Registered Member

+1, the clear 1/4" netting in a window screen frame is the best. Any fish is a potential jumper. Many fish are known to be frwequent jumpers like wrasses and firefish, but I've seen nearly every type of fish go carpet surfing.

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
opened tank canopy cover