Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Creature ID
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/13/2000, 07:29 PM   #1
bmw
Registered Member

This ID has nothing to do with anything that will ever go into a reef tank--but it is a reef critter, and there are so many knowlegable people here I thought I would give it a shot. If nothing else maybe someone could point me in a direction on the internet--I come up blank.

The creature in question we used to call a shovel nose lobster. It looked like a fat tail of the Florida spiney lobster--just no head. It was strictly noctournal, found on the sand flats around the reef areas on top of the sand at night. If given a chance, and we didn't give them that offen, they would bury themselves in the sand when approached.
They were pretty rare to find even when looking for them, and the best thing I ever tasted from the ocean.
I am not sure if it even was any kind of lobster--we never talked about it much to anyone--we were jealous of the short supply we had.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
b.

Unread 01/13/2000, 11:41 PM   #2
Kirbster
Registered Member

Are those what they call Slipper Lobsters?

Unread 01/18/2000, 08:46 PM   #3
bmw
Registered Member

Thank you for a response, and sorry for the long reply time.
No, it is not a slipper lobster.
B.

Unread 01/19/2000, 05:31 AM   #4
rshimek
Moved On

Hi B,

Yes it is. They are Scyllarids, common names include: Spanish lobster, shovel nose lobster, and slipper lobster.

Basically they are like normal clawless lobsters except the long antenna have become modified as the flattened plates.

Cheers, Ron

Unread 01/19/2000, 07:43 PM   #5
bmw
Registered Member

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the reply.
Knowing you have nothing better to do than reply to a trivial question by someone who cannot see a slipper lobster is the same thing as a shovel nose lobster (see folks--I am self-flamming, no need for help here )
I still have a question, or two.
I did do some research on the "slipper" lobster"(gasp) and found that not only Scyllaides are attributed to that name, but also Evibacus and Scyllarus.
My question is, sure that I am that what I have seen as a "slipper" lobster is not the same animal as what I have seen as a "shovel nose" lobster :
Are these same species very similar in apperance? (heck, I don't know if they even all occur in the S. Florida region)
2) Do they younger look differnt from the older? Might explain my remembrance of two different critters, yes?
And I guess this is just another of the arguments against the common names vs the scientific names.
I really did not want to learn more latin.
B.

Unread 01/19/2000, 09:03 PM   #6
rshimek
Moved On

Hi b,

Well, shucks, what can I say...

I guess the names can change to protect the innocent crustacean .

Shovel noses and slippers look the pretty similar in the pictures that I have seen them in- different species, same family, vary about as much as two species of sea gulls. And there really is no difference in juveniles and adults except size.

So... common names have bit us (me) on the butt.

Unless I can see a picture of what you have seen, I will refrain from applying a name to it...

Cheers, Ron