Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Creature ID
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/28/2000, 03:36 PM   #1
rshimek
Moved On

Hi Folks,

Thanks to Morgan Lidster from Inland Aquatics, I got a “bumble bee” snail to examine. They are species of Engina, probably closely related to Engina mendicaria from the Indo-Pacific. This is a large group, with many similar species, and my references were not sufficient to determine the precise species identity, but there is no doubt that they are in the genus Engina. There is remarkably little known of their natural history, however as members of the Family Buccinidae, they are predatory. I would not consider them “reef safe” in the broadest sense, but they probably may be largely scavengers in reef tanks. However, as many buccinids are predatory on worms and other infauna, I would suspect they will also attack the sand fauna in our systems.

Cheers, Ron

Unread 04/28/2000, 05:39 PM   #2
hesaias
Premium Member

Thanks Doc,
I was holding out on buying any till someone ID'd those guys positivly. Im glad I did.
Thanks again

------------------
hesaias

My Homepage

Unread 04/28/2000, 09:38 PM   #3
Larry M
Moved On

Thanks very much for the information, Ron. You're a great resource to have around!

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef

Unread 04/28/2000, 09:59 PM   #4
greasefire
Registered Member

Thanks Ron,. I have maybe about 10 of them a wholesaler gave me in my seagrass tank. I have watched them seen them grazing micro algea and searching the substrate. I have only had them for 5 or 6 weeks. I also have worked on this tank 100 gal, 6" sand bed loaded with life, feeding heavy and no skimmer. Would it be advantagous to pluck them BB snails outta there? I have a really neat tank going and would hate to have introduced a predator. Worm population is really crankin, ya think they eat them?
Jus ramblin, Thanks
JK http://www.blueoceandesigns.com

------------------
http://www.blueoceandesigns.com

Unread 04/29/2000, 12:35 PM   #5
rshimek
Moved On

Hi,

Well no Buccinid snail can or will graze algae, so if yours are doing this, then it indicates that at least two species of snails are being sold with the same name.

If any of yours die and you are willing to send me the shell, I would be glad to try to identify the animal.

Cheers, Ron

Unread 04/29/2000, 08:57 PM   #6
greasefire
Registered Member

I will look around and see if I can get you one. J