Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Creature ID
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/05/2000, 04:22 PM   #1
Green Lantern
Registered Member

I purchased a Stichodactyla mertensi approx. 7 months ago. I have been feeding it whole shelled frozen shrimp soaked in zoe. Over the past few months I've found that based solely on written physical description that my Stichodactyla sp. sounds like S. haddoni.

However after recently reading an article by Dr. Shimek I was confused even more,(this is not to say the article was confusing , just that I am), because my anemone has the living habits of S. mertensi and the appearance of S. haddoni. The anemone has done well burried in a rock cave with his oral disc spread out over the surrounding rock.

My anemone is lime green with faint white radiating lines. They are not obvious but there is at the least a mottled white in the green. The anemone is very sticky to the touch. It lives, apparently, happily in the rock and excepts food instantly. Anyone with any ideas on the species?

My concerns are that if it is a S. haddoni how am I to make it happy? They need a ten inch sand bed according to Ron. I can not accomadate this species. The best I can try is too duplicate the dietary needs of the animal to the best of my ability. Ron mentioned a mixed fish meal for his S. haddoni and I'm wondering which fish?

Troy

Unread 02/06/2000, 10:53 AM   #2
Green Lantern
Registered Member

Anyone?

Unread 02/06/2000, 07:01 PM   #3
horge
Reefer

The variegation is diagnostic for S. haddoni, superhero

While not all S. haddoni are variegated, the banded coloring when present corresponds to the alernating radii of endocoelic and exocoelic tentacles. This bast can thrive either in sand or between rocks.

Ron is probably speaking of shallow-water/lagoon specimens, which can and do need a substantial amount of sand to withdraw into.

It likes good current, extremely good lighting, and as little poking as possible. Hmmmm --sounds like generic advice, yes? hehehe

[This message has been edited by horge (edited 02-06-2000).]

Unread 02/06/2000, 08:17 PM   #4
Green Lantern
Registered Member

Hi Horge, thanks for the response. I had to go to the dictionary on that one. You've basically told me the same thing before on another thread. I became confused when I read about the substrate preference so you solved that.

Do you happen to know which kinds of fish or other foods besides the unshelled whole shrimp?

How was the weekend? Did you have another tough time snorkeling the island reefs?

Troy Green(with envy)Lantern

Unread 02/06/2000, 08:24 PM   #5
horge
Reefer

My legs are full of little cuts: The water was agitated, and at one point I was getting pushed into the formations, so I bailed after two hours. Nice time, though, hehehe.

I found fresh clam to be less acceptable than shrimp, so I don't know how to top your present menu. Except maybe to get small live shrimp, shell them alive (Muhahahahaha!), then feed.

horge the flayer (of shrimp)

Unread 02/07/2000, 03:17 PM   #6
Green Lantern
Registered Member

thank you both

Horge it is a tough life but someone has to do it. I just wish it were me!

Dr. Ron, in your article you mentioned that you fed a variety of fresh fish and that you should feed them whole with guts and all. Do you have any suggestions?

Troy

Unread 02/07/2000, 03:20 PM   #7
rshimek
Moved On

Hi Troy,

I feed Gamma Food "Lancefish."

My large haddoni female gets about 10 to 12 fish every two days.

Cheers, Ron

Unread 02/07/2000, 05:52 PM   #8
Green Lantern
Registered Member

Thank you

Troy

Unread 02/07/2000, 11:52 PM   #9
rshimek
Moved On

Hi

It is most likely a haddoni. They will occur in sand beds and in rocks with the disk spread over the surface. The latter situation appears to be signficantly less common in nature, and was ignored or not seen by the references that I examined for that article.

Since then, some of my own (in-tank) research indicates that smaller haddoni,(less than 1 foot (30 cm) across) may need to have a rock or hard substrate.

Bottom line for identification, go with an identification based on disk and tentacle characteristics. Most of these hosts like to have their columns out of sight (the exception seems to be Heteractis), but the small haddoni appear to like rocky areas better than sandy ones.

Cheers, Ron