Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Tampa Bay Saltwater
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/24/2015, 11:33 AM   #1
riverviewmike
Registered Member

Picking Up Part 2 of The Package Sunday

Picked up part 1 of the package last Sunday. Followed Richard's instructions and got everything in my tank. Have not seen an ammonia spike of over .25. Was down to zero this morning. Can't wait to see what is in Part 2 on Sunday!!!

Will post pics.

riverviewmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/30/2015, 12:23 PM   #2
riverviewmike
Registered Member

So I received Part 2 of the Package from Richard on Sunday. Went to his home and picked it up and was in my tank later that day. In the process of cycling. Again have not had ammonia go over .25. This is just awesome LIVE rock. Don't think twice order from TBS. Incredible product and customer service.

photo image 1_zpsvfsovx6p.jpg

photo IMG_20150429_214102095_HDR_zpsjbytl15d.jpg

photo image_zpsjkyqth0e.jpg

Unread 05/03/2015, 06:32 PM   #3
cbm369
Registered Member

Is all of that in your tank what came from "the package", or did you add some of the other things? (corals, sponges, nems, etc...)

Unread 05/03/2015, 07:58 PM   #4
riverviewmike
Registered Member

Everything in my tank is from The Package. I have not added anything to it.

Unread 05/03/2015, 08:59 PM   #5
rmcaum
Registered Member

Somebody should appreciate what was just said above. That is what Richard sends you in a box of water. Pretty amazing. I am 2.5 years in from my first tbs order. Literally more happy now than I was then. I have several of those tree sponges still living not to mention the gorgs that got too big and I gave away. The barnacles and cup corals alone are worth it. 2.5 years in, still find something new every single time I look at the tank after lights out.

Current Tank Info: standard 29 gallon, 65 gallon
rmcaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2015, 10:29 AM   #6
cbm369
Registered Member

In process of starting a 300g build. This will be a "clean slate" build, meaning none of my rock, sand or inverts from my current 125g will be transferred over to the 300g. (fish maybe, haven't decided yet on the stocking of the 300g)

I like what I see so far from TBS, but "the package" for a 300 gallon tank is quite a bit of money and understandably, I want to be sure this is the way to go. Just trying to get as much input/reviews as possible, before I drop $4k....

Unread 05/06/2015, 04:39 AM   #7
chris.scang
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm369 View Post
In process of starting a 300g build. This will be a "clean slate" build, meaning none of my rock, sand or inverts from my current 125g will be transferred over to the 300g. (fish maybe, haven't decided yet on the stocking of the 300g)

I like what I see so far from TBS, but "the package" for a 300 gallon tank is quite a bit of money and understandably, I want to be sure this is the way to go. Just trying to get as much input/reviews as possible, before I drop $4k....
You will not be disappointed going with TBS! Richard's customer service is legendary as is his rock, sand and "extras".

chris.scang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2015, 07:55 AM   #8
JoeTSI
Registered Member

I'm also going to go on record to state this is the best live rock I have ever ordered. Richard goes out of his way for customer service and accomodated my shipping schedule as I travel a lot for work. The extras he supplies are outstanding and I even ended up with a rock blenny in my shipment who is getting fatter all the time. You absolutely cannot go wrong and it is worth the extra money.

Unread 05/06/2015, 08:08 AM   #9
fishpureluck
Registered Member

Are you afraid to get any unwanted critters in this rock/sand? I was scared to use this in my 300 gallon build, but I'm curious about it, so I may setup a 24 Aquapod an use only the stuff from the package and see what I get. Maybe do an atlantic/gulf only tank. Do mantis shrimp only hit the bottom of the tank or do they hit the sides too? I'd maybe like to use TBS "the package" to do a mantis tank, but I'd have to add starboard to the bottom of the Aquapod for safety. Any ideas or thoughts?

Unread 05/06/2015, 10:51 AM   #10
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpureluck View Post
Are you afraid to get any unwanted critters in this rock/sand? I was scared to use this in my 300 gallon build, but I'm curious about it, so I may setup a 24 Aquapod an use only the stuff from the package and see what I get. Maybe do an atlantic/gulf only tank. Do mantis shrimp only hit the bottom of the tank or do they hit the sides too? I'd maybe like to use TBS "the package" to do a mantis tank, but I'd have to add starboard to the bottom of the Aquapod for safety. Any ideas or thoughts?
The mantis shrimp that occur in the Gulf where I harvest the live rock are called wennerae, and one of the most interesting and docile mantis of the specie.

The internet myth of mantis breaking tanks, especially the wennerae is just that...a myth.

I have been doing this over forty ears, and never have I heard of them causing an issue with a tank. Other larger species/types could possibly be an issue, but one in a million from what I have read and Dr. Roy Caldwells experiences, and he is the ultimate guru of these critters. So there are no worries with wennerae.

They are one of most interesting creatures in our oceans, and the demand for them is great in the hobby. Keep them fed, and you have a really good sand stirrer and most interesting creature.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2496710

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/06/2015, 11:06 AM   #11
fishpureluck
Registered Member

Is there a difference between the mantis that you get over there and the ones we get here? I am directly across the state from you and I've caught a few large "almost a foot long" mantis at the sand bar, and they really beat the crap out of a 5 gallon bucket. That's why I asked about them breaking the glass. If I did set up a 24 Aquapod, how many can I safely "for their health" put in?

Unread 05/06/2015, 11:09 AM   #12
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Is there a difference between the mantis that you get over there and the ones we get here? I am directly across the state from you and I've caught a few large "almost a foot long" mantis at the sand bar, and they really beat the crap out of a 5 gallon bucket. That's why I asked about them breaking the glass. If I did set up a 24 Aquapod, how many can I safely "for their health" put in?
Yes big difference...I have seen the one you are talking about...caught on once fishing...scared me! LOL

Wennerae only get max 3-4 inches....

lots of info in the mantis forum, and folks that know a lot about them...

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 05/06/2015, 11:25 AM   #13
fishpureluck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
Yes big difference...I have seen the one you are talking about...caught on once fishing...scared me! LOL

Wennerae only get max 3-4 inches....

lots of info in the mantis forum, and folks that know a lot about them...

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com
I did a little research and found out the Mantis we have here are Lysiosquilla scabricauda. They get huge. I'm going to do some more research on yours before I decide to set up an aquarium for them. It's for my 5 year old daughter, so I want something she can interact with. Like feeding them with a stick and watching them walk around the tank. I'll definitely use TBS when I'm ready, thanks for the reply. Your site says 50lbs of rock for 25 gallons, that sounds like a lot. I have 400lbs of Fiji rock in my 300 and it's pretty full, I couldn't imagine almost double that. Are yours dense boulders? Maybe that's the difference, mine is light branches.

Unread 05/06/2015, 11:28 AM   #14
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I did a little research and found out the Mantis we have here are Lysiosquilla scabricauda. They get huge. I'm going to do some more research on yours before I decide to set up an aquarium for them. It's for my 5 year old daughter, so I want something she can interact with. Like feeding them with a stick and watching them walk around the tank. I'll definitely use TBS when I'm ready, thanks for the reply. Your site says 50lbs of rock for 25 gallons, that sounds like a lot. I have 400lbs of Fiji rock in my 300 and it's pretty full, I couldn't imagine almost double that. Are yours dense boulders? Maybe that's the difference, mine is light branches.
And that guy eats well also...tail is like a very large pink shrimp....

This is the rock I use for culture
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1632368

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 05/06/2015, 11:58 AM   #15
fishpureluck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
And that guy eats well also...tail is like a very large pink shrimp....

This is the rock I use for culture
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1632368

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com
That's why we caught them, threw them on the BBQ with the lobster and fish we caught that day.

Unread 05/07/2015, 07:42 AM   #16
riverviewmike
Registered Member

I had a tank prior to the current one with TBS Rock. I had a mantis shrimp and like Richard said, I kept him well fed and he never bothered anything in my tank.

Was interesting to watch him scurry around in and out of the holes in the rock.