Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/18/2006, 10:21 AM   #1
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

Nocturnal reef

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but.....

Has anyone ever kept a "nocturnal reef"? I thought of this because I have always been interested in nocturnal behavior and I am suffering from insomnia right row so many thoughts pass through my head. Also because moon lights are so popular it would be a simple thing to do.
If I attempted this design what species of fish and inverts are more nocturnal? I know squirrelfish are but any others? This would be in a 50 gal tank btw.
Any suggestions would be great.

KafudaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2006, 10:27 AM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

Lps stonies are the corals for you: many change shape at night and send out sweeper tentacles (bubble, galaxia), open into anemones (candy cane) and generally feed at night, excepting the euphyllia, which close up. Snails are active at night and trochus put out additional feelers. A ghost eel is a night hunter (but fragile, and eats other fish).

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2006, 10:32 AM   #3
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

That does sound interesting. I probably do not have the proper lighting on my 50 (pc) but I could do it on my 95 with T5's. Any fish suggestions?

Unread 05/18/2006, 10:34 AM   #4
Travis L. Stevens
Registered Member

This would be very hard to do. Almost everything in the ocean that is active at night are predators. They hunt the peaceful fish while they sleep. And most othese guys get BIG. Requim Sharks for example are active at night. But also grow far too large for your average aquarium.

In short, is it possible to do it? Yes. Would it be ideal or look the way you wanted? Probably not. Would it be worth while? No, not really.

Current Tank Info: Restarting 28g Bowfront
Travis L. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2006, 11:34 AM   #5
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

There would have to be different species of fish, corals and other inverts that are active during the night. If you look at any night pictures on reefs there is activity. If I did a FOWLR then I would do predators.
I do not know what it would look like so I do not have a standard to compare it to therefore I probably would not be disappointed. This would be as much an experiment as anything else.
Why would it not be worth while? People keep all types of reef life that are extremely cryptic and inactive. I think seahorses are interesting due to their breeding behavior but really am not interested in keeping them.
So if it was worth while, what suggestions please?

Unread 05/18/2006, 11:43 AM   #6
Travis L. Stevens
Registered Member

Not worth it because you will go through a lot of stress of researching and attempting to find animals in the aquarium trade that are nocturnal. Then, you have to stay up late enough to see it all I guess I should rephrase it as moderately worth it.

Unread 05/18/2006, 12:08 PM   #7
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

No problem and did not take it in any negative way. This "idea" started because I am going through a round of insomnia and thought it might be relaxing to watch a reef at night rather than TV or looking here on RC until 6 am.
Travis are you the guy who made DIY rock with cement and rock salt?

Unread 05/18/2006, 12:14 PM   #8
Travis L. Stevens
Registered Member

Yes sir! *stands tall and proud*

Just curious, but where did you hear about it? Find the thread yourself or refered to it?

Unread 05/18/2006, 01:03 PM   #9
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

I read the thread myself a couple of weeks ago. I am interested in doing it on my 50 and my pico tank that I will set up. This way I can control the shapes rather than relying on the LFS.
It was 4 parts RS and 1 part cement right? Have you tried 3:1 for more strength. I would like to do a rock wall using this technique rather than piecing together a bunch of LR frags or buying cermic reef walls for $100+.
How much water, 1 part? Did you add the salt after you mixed the cement and water or all together at once.
Funny how you get off track on your own thread.

Unread 05/18/2006, 01:53 PM   #10
Travis L. Stevens
Registered Member

It's really eyeballed, I'll be honest. It's between 3:1 and 4:1. The RS and Cement are put in together, crudely mixed up, then water is added. I just add a little water. If it's too watery, I add cement. If it's too dry, I add water.

Unread 05/18/2006, 01:58 PM   #11
reefnewbie54321
Moved On

Tube anemones would be awesome! They light up the tank at night

reefnewbie54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2006, 04:20 PM   #12
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

So they are bioluminescent? What requirements?

Unread 05/18/2006, 04:26 PM   #13
Paul B
Premium Member

As for your question, pinecone fish from Japan are really nice and noctural also flashlight fish, I never saw those for sale but I have seen pinecones. They may have to be ordered.
Paul

Current Tank Info: 100 gal reef set up in 1971
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/18/2006, 04:55 PM   #14
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

I have seen pinecone fish at the Tennessee Aquarium and remember seeing a picture of them about 20 years ago. I have always thought they were interesting and I watched the pair for about 20 minutes. They are extremely passive and barely move. I doubt too many places would have flashflight fish available either. I can't see them as a high demand item.
Paul I have always enjoyed reading your posts and am glad to see you take the low tech. approach to the hobby such as your reverse UGF. I plan on doing that on my 50 when it is empty. I also like how you make PVC rocks.

Unread 05/18/2006, 05:01 PM   #15
Paul B
Premium Member

Quote:
I plan on doing that on my 50 when it is empty. I also like how you make PVC rocks.
Mike, it works better if you put water in the tank
Paul

Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2006, 07:08 AM   #16
Travis L. Stevens
Registered Member

If you really like the flashlight fish, www.liveaquaria.com used to sell them a few months ago. For all I know, they are still available

Unread 05/19/2006, 09:13 AM   #17
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

Paul, true but if I was the first to invent a waterless reef aquarium and then market it I would make millions.
I could charge 10x the price of a water filled one.
Travis, yeah those would be cool to own. The price tag is scary though. They do list a few other species along with the flashlights so I will do some more research about them. Perhaps if I do this, I will post a thread and others will think it is pretty cool too.

Unread 05/22/2006, 04:20 PM   #18
daytonians
Registered Member

Just run a red light. Most sea creatures can't see it and act like they are in total darkness. It's really cool the stuff you will see: worms sending out feelers, sweeper tenticles, swimming pods and worms. It's really cool!!!!!!!

I'ld rather be in Daytona!

Avatar: Photo taken with model Asia Williams posing on my car.

Current Tank Info: 45 Gallon, LR, power head, custom hood with 140 watts PC light & 175 MH, basement has 29 g. fuge with 6" sand & caluerpa, 20 g. cryptic fuge with 4 inch sand bed & LR, carbon & Phos remover, 55 gallon sump.
daytonians is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2006, 05:01 PM   #19
miracles38
Registered Member

Bangaii cardinalfish are active at night.

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
miracles38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2006, 09:08 AM   #20
geekreef_05
Registered Member

There are plenty of inverts I only see around my tank at night. Both my Linkia and serpant sea star are only active at night. Same goes for my tiger tail cucumber. These are slow moving creatures, so they're not so entertaining.

My suggestion would be to simply change the light cycle of your reef. Turn the lights off during the day, and run then at night. If you home and cant sleep, that might help.

G/L to you. I know insomnia can be hard to deal with.

Current Tank Info: 15H Mixed Reef, 150 HQI, 25lbs Vanuatu, SSB; 60 gal FOWLR 'Tap Water' Show Tank; 33L Skimmerless Softie Reef w/ BTA, 50/50 PC's, 70lbs Indo
geekreef_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/27/2006, 03:29 PM   #21
Dani Arnanz
Registered Member

I´ve had a "Dark Reef", only with non-photosynthetic corals, and its really gorgeus, furthermore, in US its easier, here is imposible to get a dendrophyllia, and near to impossible to get a tubastrea diapahana or micrantha...

But I'm not suer if that is what you're looking for...

Dani

Current Tank Info: 20 gal Nano-reef
Dani Arnanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2006, 10:28 AM   #22
nathan_unsane
Registered Member

here is a list of nocternal fish:

Cardinalfish
Big Eyes
Soldierfish
Squirrelfish
Pinecone fish
Scorpionfish
Snappers
Eels
Sea bass and groupers
Flashlight fish
Many invertebrates including lobsters, shrimp, crabs, and other crustaceans, mollusks, polychaete worms, and starfish
Polyps of many corals, such as Gorgonian, Torch coral, and Tubastrea

nathan_unsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2006, 06:47 PM   #23
KafudaFish
Cyprinius carpio

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I was on vacation since the 24 and was suprised that the thread was still going. I still have ideas in my head and will continue working on it. Please keep the ideas coming folks.

Unread 06/01/2006, 10:10 PM   #24
jiggy
Registered Member

u could put a bunch of shrimp in there too.. they r active at night

jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote