Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/03/2016, 07:37 PM   #1
dmopar74
Registered Member

FO tank ich treatment

i have a FO tank that houses a 2ft snowflake eel, and just brought home dogface puffer and picasso trigger. i see ich on the puffer, and I'm betting its on the trigger as well.

being as the tank is FO at the moment, and my additions are new, what can i use to treat the whole tank? does rid-ich work?

dmopar74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2016, 10:59 AM   #2
Mishri
Registered Member

Rid ich doesn't work. if you have rocks in the tank you'll want to avoid copper (rocks absorb it so it's impossible to keep at necessary levels) my recommendation for treating a fish only tank is chloroquine phosphate... but some fish aren't compatible.. wrasses and sea horse. you'll need to turn off your skimmer and lights during treatment. takes a few weeks. I'd recommend using new life spectrum ich shield (The powder, not the food). Or you could try hyposalinity.

Unread 06/04/2016, 11:48 AM   #3
eshtog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishri View Post
Rid ich doesn't work. if you have rocks in the tank you'll want to avoid copper (rocks absorb it so it's impossible to keep at necessary levels) my recommendation for treating a fish only tank is chloroquine phosphate... but some fish aren't compatible.. wrasses and sea horse. you'll need to turn off your skimmer and lights during treatment. takes a few weeks. I'd recommend using new life spectrum ich shield (The powder, not the food). Or you could try hyposalinity.
This is the route I am taking. Using the Ich shield powder, just started last night. Remove all snails. My understanding is that lights off is no longer required based on recent research unless the lights are very bright.

eshtog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/04/2016, 01:34 PM   #4
dmopar74
Registered Member

I've read that puffers don't react well to this med?

dmopar74 is offline   Reply With Quote