Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/28/2009, 10:20 AM   #76
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crvz
Wow, well done. Thanks for sharing all the details. I assume there's about zero worry in the texture of the laminate regarding tank support?
Thanks crvz. Yeah, I thought about that before I bought it, but the 'dots' are so small it's probably irrelevant. That first shot is a 'macro' shot of the laminate so they look huge. In reality the dots are about a the size of a pin hole and very shallow. I know the rim on my tank is about 7/8" wide where it will be sitting on. Just got to do three last pieces of trim in the rough opening and I can get the tank on there. I'll mess with the bottom shelf as I go, since I don't know the final dimension of the sump yet.

page 4 is mine.

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
drummereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2009, 01:27 PM   #77
drummereef
Team RC Member

Here's an updated sump design. It has a smaller skimmer section and much larger return section. Approx volume of the drain/skimmer section is 15 gallons. Approx volume of the return section is 21 gallons at normal operating water level. Total volume of the sump is about 70 gallons. I will still add a bubble chamber for the return from the remote refugium. Still debating on how to do that.

What do you think about the 4" baffle at the bottom of the drain section? Do you think it would trap detritus before the skimmer? The sump will be constructed out of 3/8" acrylite acrylic. Do you think it needs a rim around the top?

Last edited by Misled; 04/02/2018 at 05:09 PM.
Unread 03/28/2009, 02:54 PM   #78
Eel-byte
Premium Member

Cant wait to see this ting up and running!

Eel-byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2009, 03:02 PM   #79
gradth
Registered Member

Looking great drummer. Your making mine look like a redneck fish tank.

BTW, we talked about the Marcorocks. I got half my order today and the stuff is awesome. Not to mention 1/4 the price of live rock.

Click on the redhouse for my 180 build.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon pennisula reef

gradth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2009, 03:04 PM   #80
drummereef
Team RC Member

Very nice indeed. I just saw it over in your thread. The rock looks amazing. Definitely what I will be putting in my reef.

Unread 03/28/2009, 04:01 PM   #81
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eel-byte
Cant wait to see this ting up and running!

Thanks Eel-byte. Me too!

Unread 03/28/2009, 04:15 PM   #82
Hop
Carpe Noctem!!!

I would soak that baserock in vinegar and water and then cook it for a while(4-8 weeks), while seeding it with live rock... I couldn't believe the amount of po4 that mine leached. Of course it masked itself for the first few years with just prolonged algae stages typical of new tanks and then exploded...

Current Tank Info: 300-gallon in-wall system (mixed reef)
Hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2009, 04:39 PM   #83
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hop
I would soak that baserock in vinegar and water and then cook it for a while(4-8 weeks), while seeding it with live rock... I couldn't believe the amount of po4 that mine leached. Of course it masked itself for the first few years with just prolonged algae stages typical of new tanks and then exploded...

Ewww. That's not good. Thanks for the heads up, Hop. I might get started on that sooner than later then. Do you really think the 'explosion' of phosphate was only from the rock? Were there any changes to your system that might have caused this buildup?

Unread 03/28/2009, 11:05 PM   #84
Bill14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by drummereef
What do you think about the 4" baffle at the bottom of the drain section? Do you think it would trap detritus before the skimmer?
I'm not sure that 4" baffle is going to catch much since you'll have another 5" of water over it. I'd guess the detritus will float enough to populate both sections equally. But I've never tried it. Maybe somebody who has will chime in.

Great detail on putting down the laminate. Looks great!

Bill14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2009, 11:40 PM   #85
Hop
Carpe Noctem!!!

Quote:
Ewww. That's not good. Thanks for the heads up, Hop. I might get started on that sooner than later then. Do you really think the 'explosion' of phosphate was only from the rock? Were there any changes to your system that might have caused this buildup?
Yeah, unfortunately I do. I had my own issues, but my neighbor had an instant explosion and we set his tank up with a far better nutrient export system than on mine. And from cruising the boards I've seen a bit of a pattern. Many have success without doing anything to the rock, but many have HA, dino and cyano issues within the first few months. I figure what the hey, if your taking your time, do the vinegar and water or muriatic acid bath over night and start cooking them while seeding it all with some live rock now. it would give you the best environment right off the bat.

I bet you would see po4 readings as high as .05 at the end of the first week of cooking.

Unread 03/29/2009, 11:07 AM   #86
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill14
I'm not sure that 4" baffle is going to catch much since you'll have another 5" of water over it. I'd guess the detritus will float enough to populate both sections equally. But I've never tried it. Maybe somebody who has will chime in.

Great detail on putting down the laminate. Looks great!
Thanks for the kind words, Bill14. Slowly but surely it's coming together. Melev said the same thing you did about the half baffle in the sump. I might end up taking it out if people feel it's a bad thing.

Unread 03/29/2009, 11:14 AM   #87
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hop
Yeah, unfortunately I do. I had my own issues, but my neighbor had an instant explosion and we set his tank up with a far better nutrient export system than on mine. And from cruising the boards I've seen a bit of a pattern. Many have success without doing anything to the rock, but many have HA, dino and cyano issues within the first few months. I figure what the hey, if your taking your time, do the vinegar and water or muriatic acid bath over night and start cooking them while seeding it all with some live rock now. it would give you the best environment right off the bat.

I bet you would see po4 readings as high as .05 at the end of the first week of cooking.

Wow, thanks for the heads up on that one. You know, now that you say it I have noticed an influx of dinos with people using these rocks. I'll definitely soak and cook them before they go in the display. I got all kinds of time before this thing get up and running.

Hey Hop, what do you think of the sump design?

Unread 03/29/2009, 04:14 PM   #88
crvz
Team RC Member

Sump design looks good, but I don't know how much that 4" baffle is really going to do. It would definitely depend on the amount of water flow you've got going through the sump, but in any case I'd think it needs to be taller to be effective. How do you plan on cleaning out that area if it does work well?

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2009, 05:02 PM   #89
Hop
Carpe Noctem!!!

It looks good. I would probably make the skimmer section bigger just in case next year skimmer company X comes out with the best of the best skimmer, but you need a 20x20 space for it...

Unread 03/29/2009, 06:38 PM   #90
dean1977
Registered Member

Hop, when you got the marcorocks was it prior to the time that they started "pre-cycling" the rock?

dean1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2009, 07:33 PM   #91
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Sump design looks good, but I don't know how much that 4" baffle is really going to do. It would definitely depend on the amount of water flow you've got going through the sump, but in any case I'd think it needs to be taller to be effective. How do you plan on cleaning out that area if it does work well?
Ok, good points again crvz. I plan on roughly 900gph at most through the sump. That's about 5x the display volume. I think I could get in there with some tubing to clean it out if it gets dirty. But, if everyone thinks it's unnecessary, or could cause problems later, I'll take it out.

Is there anything else you would add? I might want to do a rack for probes, but I can design that after I get the sump built. I'll run carbon in a reactor so I probably won't do a section for bags. All will be plumbed off the main return pump from the manifold.

Unread 03/29/2009, 07:34 PM   #92
Hop
Carpe Noctem!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by dean1977
Hop, when you got the marcorocks was it prior to the time that they started "pre-cycling" the rock?
My neighbors was after... I used reeferrocks which has sadly gone out of business. CAP'n Jer was awesome

But I'm not sure how much pre-cycling is really going on. From what I see and read, he is so busy and short on rock alot (which is a good thing)... But I would still take that extra step, to avoid problems down the road...

Unread 03/29/2009, 07:36 PM   #93
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hop
It looks good. I would probably make the skimmer section bigger just in case next year skimmer company X comes out with the best of the best skimmer, but you need a 20x20 space for it...

Ok, got it Hop. I was trying to figure the "actual" footprint for the 250 the last couple days and the smallest I could make it was 13.5 x 16.5. This was wall to wall with no extra space, and I had to turn the output in a bit. I'll go ahead and make the skimmer section 20" square.

Unread 03/29/2009, 07:52 PM   #94
crvz
Team RC Member

Quote:
Is there anything else you would add? I might want to do a rack for probes, but I can design that after I get the sump built. I'll run carbon in a reactor so I probably won't do a section for bags. All will be plumbed off the main return pump from the manifold.
Nah, not right now. Making it somewhat generic does add to 1) it's ease of implementation for any hardware you may chose or upgrade to later on, and 2) the ability to sell it for the next move/tank upgrade. Like you said, little probe holders or brackets can come and go as needed.

You don't win friends with salad.

"Look! They're trying to learn for free!" ... "Use your phony guns as clubs!"

Current Tank Info: rectangluar? wet?
crvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/29/2009, 07:55 PM   #95
Hop
Carpe Noctem!!!

Quote:
Ok, got it Hop. I was trying to figure the "actual" footprint for the 250 the last couple days and the smallest I could make it was 13.5 x 16.5. This was wall to wall with no extra space, and I had to turn the output in a bit. I'll go ahead and make the skimmer section 20" square.
yeah, but then you may want the extended neck and an askoll pump I'm debating about picking one up after Tuesday myself

Unread 03/29/2009, 07:57 PM   #96
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Nah, not right now. Making it somewhat generic does add to 1) it's ease of implementation for any hardware you may chose or upgrade to later on, and 2) the ability to sell it for the next move/tank upgrade. Like you said, little probe holders or brackets can come and go as needed.
Totally. I figured once I move my Aquacontroller Jr from the 40g I'll get a better idea how to personalize it. I might make some removable probe brackets and something for the top off control as well. I like the 'bare bones' idea on this so far too.

Unread 03/30/2009, 10:43 AM   #97
drummereef
Team RC Member

Here's another design for the sump, per Melev's request. He wanted to see a top rim with radius corners and a center brace for maximum support. I also re-measured the space under the stand and can squeeze a couple more inches in this thing. This will give me approx 75 gallons at only 14" high.

Thoughts?

Unread 03/30/2009, 10:45 AM   #98
spleify
Registered Member

Looks good Brett!!

Gonna be a sweet setup!!

Current Tank Info: 60 gal SPS cube, with 25 gal refugium, 400W MH, DIY Lumenarc III, DIY skimmer, DIY stand and canopy. 40 breeder LPS with 40 gallon sump, DIY stand, 250W MH
spleify is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2009, 11:25 AM   #99
Bill14
Registered Member

Very nice! You are going to love all that space.

Bill14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/30/2009, 12:34 PM   #100
Anemonebuff
Registered Member

Quote:
I have also heard that the Marco Rock is high in PO4, probably silicates as well. I would run it in a tub of water with GFO for a week or two.

Anemonebuff is offline   Reply With Quote