Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 08/31/2010, 08:17 PM   #2501
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Agreed with DJ, you don't have to fall into the equipment trap. I use an old GAC container and a MJ1200, and it works perfectly. The pellets are not fluidized but have adequate flow. IMHO too much flow can be detrimental, you are trying to grow bacteria and the friction may very well slow that process. I do know that mine work, I haven't dosed VSV since I started and still everything is undetectable with Salifert and all traces of algae have vanished. Chaeto has been reduced to a small ball and is not growing, I moved it to DT under the halide and it is still dimishing.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
Unread 09/01/2010, 05:10 AM   #2502
rutz81
Registered Member

If anyone is looking for a complete setup, check out my thread in the Used Equip Forum.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1899844

Unread 09/01/2010, 07:36 AM   #2503
lunar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSKL View Post
I don't know if anyone has noticed the volume of NPX BPs used in Kryzysztof Tryc's reef tank which was selected as Aug TOTM.
I've never used NPX BPs but original product from Reef Interests, called NP reducing BioPellets (without X). Ref Interests is the first company that came polymers onto the market and from the same beginning I've been using their product only. A lot of other companies were soon interested in the polymers and started to release their pellets, beads, etc. I'm not sure whether their stuffs are the same or just similar to NP reducing BioPellets. These are likely to be similar only, because it would be strange that somebody created exactly identical formula for his product. I doubt that the inventor shares the results of research with his competitors. And even the slightest difference may cause different final effects, we don't know that. I think that everybody who describes his own experience with the pellets should stress clearly every time what brand of pellets he uses, otherwise this interesting and informative thread becomes misleading. That's only my thought.
BTW, my tank was selected as June , not August TOTM . Sanjay Joshi and his beautiful reef tank is a winner of Aug TOTM.

Quote:
His tank is about 200g and the volume of BPs that he used seemed to be less than 1000ml from the picture.
I put 1,5 l of biopellets into the reactor. It seems to be less of pellets because it isn't a typical reactor for the pellets but a zeo reactor that is a bit wider in its diameter, the diameter is about 16-17 cm.

Quote:
It is hard to see how the BPs tumble but it does not look to be vigorous.
Yes, the pellets don't move vigorously, rather slightly but every pellet tumbles, none of them is stagnant.

Quote:
In his write-up he said the flow thru the BP reactor is about 1200l/h (~300gph).
The pump feeding the reactor with the pellets is a bit stronger, it isn't maxi jet 1200 but a New-Jet 2300 pump with flow rate regulation. I measured the flow at the reactor outlet and it is about 1200 l/h. But the real flow may be a bit less because of a loose basket inside the reactor. It causes that not total water goes directly through the pellets, some water goes between the the basket and the walls of the reactor passing over the pellets.

Quote:
One thing I noticed is that his effluent hose from the BP reactor is much larger than his inlet diameter. I think this would improve the flow with less restriction. Most reactors that we use have same diameter for inlet and outlet.
The diameter for inlet and outlet are different in fact, but I'm not sure whether it makes that much difference. I've set a typical fluidized reactor with BP recently at my friend, connected it to a main pump by bypass and the pellets are tumbling nicely.

Krzysztof

Unread 09/01/2010, 08:11 AM   #2504
jlinzmaier
Premium Member

Thank you Krzysztof for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar View Post

I think that everybody who describes his own experience with the pellets should stress clearly every time what brand of pellets he uses, otherwise this interesting and informative thread becomes misleading.
I agree very much. This thread was started as a general "biopellet" thread but there may be a very significant difference in the quality and effects (and/or unwanted side effects) generated by the various brands.

Jeremy

** EDIT ADDITION***

Krzysztof.
In your experience, do you think the pellets added much bacterioplankton to the tank? Could you ever see any mulm entering the tank or mulm in the reactor?? Was your primary interest in using the pellets for N and P filtration, for a bacterioplankton food source for such a densly stocked SPS tank, or both??

Thanks.

Last edited by jlinzmaier; 09/01/2010 at 08:21 AM.
Unread 09/01/2010, 11:26 AM   #2505
lunar
Registered Member

Jeremy, I think that it depends on your skimmer, how strong it is, wet or dry skimmate and what a distance is between the outlet of pellets reactor and inlet of your skimmer. You can regulate it to some degree. In my opinion my pellets provide enough bacteria to feed the corals and not to cause a mess in the tank.
I have seen any mulm neither in the tank nor in the reactor.My reactor is open. When the water level was about 2 cm higher than the outlet of the reactor I could see not a mulm but a delicate foam on the top of the water. Now I have lowered the water level so I can't see even the foam, the water flows out from the reactor immediately. Hope you understand, I can't explain it better in English.
First of all, simplicity of such filtration and time and money saving - these are main reasons for using biopellets. Both keeping PO4 and NO3 levels low and additional food source for corals were also important reasons, although not the most important for me.

Krzysztof

Unread 09/01/2010, 12:06 PM   #2506
daveonbass
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar View Post
I'm not sure whether their stuffs are the same or just similar to NP reducing BioPellets. These are likely to be similar only, because it would be strange that somebody created exactly identical formula for his product.
from what I've been told many of them are the same. Also most of the sellers don't actually "make" the pellets, they simply order them from a manufacturer. Then when they get them, they repackage them to sell to us. So if there are only 3 or 4 manufactureres in the world...then yes many of the pellets are the exact same formula. :/

Current Tank Info: 58g reef, 60 total gallons including rocks and sand, 36" 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, DAS skimmer, Bio pellets, 2 MP10 vortechs
Unread 09/01/2010, 01:05 PM   #2507
trunks1622
Registered Member

Just a quick question about the biopellets: are we suppose to have slow flow or high flow through the reactor? The reason I am asking is because when i had mine connected to a maxijet 900, I had a slow flow going through the reactor and the beads were coupling together. I changed the pump to a more powerful one and now my beads are aggresively tumbling.

Unread 09/01/2010, 02:06 PM   #2508
mano84
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveonbass View Post
So if there are only 3 or 4 manufactureres in the world...then yes many of the pellets are the exact same formula. :/
I do believe that they all have more than one biodegradable polymer so I would rather say that there is a possibility that more than one of the "pellets" are the exact same formula.

Unread 09/01/2010, 06:59 PM   #2509
ari5736
Registered Member

Update, nitrate are staying at around 5ppm. Now that I had bacterial bloom pellets are completely stuck together. Removed some pellets, stirred them varied flow and can't seem to break up pellets. Bacteria is making everything stick together.

Unread 09/02/2010, 12:45 AM   #2510
lunar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveonbass View Post
from what I've been told many of them are the same. Also most of the sellers don't actually "make" the pellets, they simply order them from a manufacturer. Then when they get them, they repackage them to sell to us. So if there are only 3 or 4 manufactureres in the world...then yes many of the pellets are the exact same formula. :/
You're right, but how to know which biopellets are from the same manufacturer as original ones? I prefer not to take that risk.
Read this:
"Our succes with ReefInterests revolutionairy finding of the NP Reducing BioPellets hasn't gone unnoticed by others. We gained some competitors which confirms all the positive aspects of our novel product. However, most of these competitors claim that they sell the same pellets as the NP Reducing BioPellets, or that they come from the same manufacturer. Some even copied our text from the website one on one. The NP Reducing BioPellets are exclusively distributed worldwide by D. van Houten (Import) based in Groningen, The Netherlands. We ship the NP Reducing BioPellets to local distributors who are taking care of the local markets.

Recently, we obtained samples from different competitors and had them analyzed. In addition, we collected data sheets from some manufacturers. The outcome was surprising, some pellets appeared to contain toxic fillers like anti-oxidants which, at high enough dose, could be toxic to aquatic life such as fish, corals and even algae. These toxins will not be released in the water instantly when you introduce these pellets to your system, but will slowly accumulate as a result of pellet degradation by bacteria and toxin stability in water.

NP-REDUCING BIOPELLETS ARE CERTIFIED FREE OF ANY TOXINS FOR MARINE WATERSYSTEMS BY 2 INDEPENDENT LABORATORIES.

Moreover, most look-a-like NP Reducing BioPellets consist of a much lower molecular mass then our NP Reducing BioPellets which results in a lower retention time and thus requires more frequent refilling of the BioPellets.
Please be aware what you put in to your valuable aquarium system. Even if the product looks the same as the NP Reducing BioPellets, it doesn't mean it is the same. If you want to be sure you have the NP Reducing BioPellets, please check in the left bottom corner where you can find this information:

D. van Houten (Import)
Postbus 5081
9700 GB Groningen, The Netherlands

Or the barcode number:

094922675002 for the 500ml bag
094922671004 for the 1000ml bag"

Unread 09/02/2010, 05:57 AM   #2511
trunks1622
Registered Member

So I came home thinking that when i changed the pump to a higher one, the flow will be better and all the beads will be moving. To my surprise, half of my beads are tumbling quite nicely but the other half are either hardly moving or stagnant. Is anyone else having this type of issue? I had to shake the reactor in order to get all the beads to move again but after an hour or so its the same thing again. I'm thinking that the screen mesh i had put on is probably clogged and needs to be cleaned. now, I don't see myself having to clean the mesh all the time. There must be a better way to keep the beads tumbling. Any alternatives?

Unread 09/02/2010, 06:08 AM   #2512
bluereefs
Registered Member

Here is the link to original text : http://npbiopellets.dvh-import.com/i...ifference.html

Hope is OK to post the link, just find him using google and text from Lunar post.

IMO, if is true of course, toxic bio pellets should be named public. I read somewhere in this thread about issue with soft corals, IIRC those poster do not use NP bio pellets but is hard to find who of them use NP and who other bio pellets and have soft corals issue.

Unread 09/02/2010, 09:43 AM   #2513
pecan2phat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunks1622 View Post
So I came home thinking that when i changed the pump to a higher one, the flow will be better and all the beads will be moving. To my surprise, half of my beads are tumbling quite nicely but the other half are either hardly moving or stagnant. Is anyone else having this type of issue? I had to shake the reactor in order to get all the beads to move again but after an hour or so its the same thing again. I'm thinking that the screen mesh i had put on is probably clogged and needs to be cleaned. now, I don't see myself having to clean the mesh all the time. There must be a better way to keep the beads tumbling. Any alternatives?
I am running a Mag 7 for 2200 ml of beads and can only get the surface to maybe a "soft boil" scenerio. I use to shake the reactor everyday to get it all tumbling again but after 2 weeks I gave up and it seems to be fine. No hydrogen sulfide detected and I have opened up the reactor about 6 times to check.

Unread 09/02/2010, 09:57 AM   #2514
trunks1622
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecan2phat View Post
I am running a Mag 7 for 2200 ml of beads and can only get the surface to maybe a "soft boil" scenerio. I use to shake the reactor everyday to get it all tumbling again but after 2 weeks I gave up and it seems to be fine. No hydrogen sulfide detected and I have opened up the reactor about 6 times to check.
Good to know. The "soft boil" is probably where mine is currently at now. I will try to clean the mesh again today and see if I can improve on the design.

Unread 09/02/2010, 10:25 AM   #2515
bagz727
Registered Member

hi guys, just would like to know if 1000 liters of pellets is enough for a 150g water volume? thanks

Unread 09/02/2010, 10:33 AM   #2516
TheFishMan65
Registered Member

It should be most of these pellets are 500ml/100 gallons IIRC. But it depends on your load. Start slow and build up to prevent an algae bloom.

Unread 09/02/2010, 12:13 PM   #2517
dfd189
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
Agreed with DJ, you don't have to fall into the equipment trap. I use an old GAC container and a MJ1200, and it works perfectly. The pellets are not fluidized but have adequate flow. IMHO too much flow can be detrimental, you are trying to grow bacteria and the friction may very well slow that process. I do know that mine work, I haven't dosed VSV since I started and still everything is undetectable with Salifert and all traces of algae have vanished. Chaeto has been reduced to a small ball and is not growing, I moved it to DT under the halide and it is still dimishing.
Agreed, I use a 2 stage BRS media reactor with a MJ1200. I put 1 cup in the first stage and 1/2 cup in the second stage. Both reactors tumble nicely.

I put these in the bottom of the cartridges.

Unread 09/03/2010, 07:48 AM   #2518
stevedola
Master of my domain

@dfd189- did you pull out the sponge insert in the bottom of the reactors ? it seemed glued in.

Current Tank Info: coming soon...
Unread 09/03/2010, 05:15 PM   #2519
larryfl1
Registered Member

hi all,

i am using np pellets about 4-5 weeks now...

i am battling cyano that seems to be getting worse...

my nitrates are 0 and phosphates were low but i added gfo to help on the phosphates...

what should i do?

wait longer?

use the slime algae treatments?

something else??

Unread 09/03/2010, 06:45 PM   #2520
tntneon
SPSahollic

-I would vacuum them away ,
but if they keep raising there ugly head you can temporary dose some vinegar too building it slowly up and when they start leaving you can decrease your temporary dosing back to zero.

greetingzz tntneon

Current Tank Info: 154 G SPS dominated + 25 G sump ; lighting : 210 W LED XPG/XRE (sunrise) + 150 W T5 (bl+ , 15°K , fiji , bl+) ; skimmer : Royal Exclusive supermarine 200 ; BM 3-Ch dosing pump (CA/ ALk and top-off) ; tunze 6085 circulation
Unread 09/03/2010, 06:53 PM   #2521
larryfl1
Registered Member

Anyone using prodibio with the pellets???

Thoughts??

Unread 09/03/2010, 07:14 PM   #2522
dfd189
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedola View Post
@dfd189- did you pull out the sponge insert in the bottom of the reactors ? it seemed glued in.
Yep, they are glued but come off easy. I cut the middle of the disks out to make it fit over the hump in the bottom of the cartridge. The top of the cartridge is wide open. I soaked my Vertex pellets overnight in RO water to prevent them from blowing out of the unit.

Unread 09/03/2010, 09:41 PM   #2523
SERVO
Registered Member

Sorry for my inability to read thru the thread but could some one tell me if they are using the BRS Jumbo Reactor? If so, how much volume can the canister hold and are you using a Mag 3 pump or some other method of flow.

I was using an old Ca reactor but ran into an equipment malfunction. I think that the BRS Jumbo will work for me, but I would like to confirm with someone who knows the exact volume.

Thank you.

Unread 09/03/2010, 09:52 PM   #2524
Sohal Tang Tim
Registered Member

NP Pellet reactor

Aquarium Specialty carries a reactor that is BLUE (helps prevent algae
as blocks light) and they have in XL size...but they are two weeks from having stock...

From what I have seen it is one of the most ideal reactors for NP pellets...it might
have even been designed specifically for that application.....

I believe it will hold up to 2 litres of NP pellets but unsure you would have to check

best of luck

Current Tank Info: 160 gallon reef
Unread 09/03/2010, 10:00 PM   #2525
drummereef
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohal Tang Tim View Post
Aquarium Specialty carries a reactor that is BLUE.....

Those would be the NextReef Reactors you speak of. I run the standard size SMR1 and it will easily accomodate 1.5 Liters of pellets. I run WM ecoBAK but would presume it would hold the same amount of other brand pellets as well. I believe it was originally designed for NP Pellets, as stated on NextReef's website.

Vimeo

180g Marineland Starfire In-Wall 278 gallon system
Closed Thread