Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Northern Ohio Reef Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2008, 08:33 AM   #1
CleveYank
20 Years and Over

Lightbulb Solution to carbon bags that tear (cheap and tough)

When I installed the couple hundred linear feet of garden raised bed. I stumbled upon product to prevent my drainage runs from clogging. I then decided I should try these in reef tank.
Darn it if they do not work perfectly.
And at 10 feet for $5 or $6 and cut to your size and reusable and VERY durable. You cannot beat this stuff.

I cannot stand paying good money for chemical/carbon filtration bags that have cheap draw strings. Tear if you don't handle them with kid gloves. And worst of all tear while taking them out of sump, wetdry, or overflow. I had a carbon bag break one time and shoot into the flow and through the wetdry, the sump and even out into the tank. Not nice.

I've reused this bag many times so far and it seems to work great. It even does a little particulate polishing. Again...for the money and durablity these are great find. Undo the gently pulle d (not to tight) and I can rinse and refill, rinse and reuse as needed.

Thought I'd share.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...arbon_Bag2.jpg

They appear to be available at BOTH Home Depot and Lowes.

CleveYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Myrddraal
Registered Member

Nice find!

Unread 01/11/2008, 11:45 AM   #3
lakee911
Registered Member

That's a good idea. What is it made out of?

lakee911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2008, 01:37 PM   #4
CleveYank
20 Years and Over

Well, the back of the label says "do not leave the trench open, exposed to rain and sunlight."

Now, it can't be a mineralization issue with the rain destroying the fabric. It's in the ground covered with gravel and then dirt and water seaps through it to get into the drain to be carried off to storm leach bed or storm drain depending upon application.

So the 2 possiblities that I can concieve are that the rain if downpour could tear it? Or maybe wet with the sunlight on it the UV damages it worse than UV alone? I don't know what it is made of. It is definately some kind of polyester or nylon weave of some sort.

http://www.carriff.com/Products/aquasleeve.htm

I know it's almost snag proof and it allows great flowthrough. And my tanks are NOT showing any ills. I will keep using it. Until I build a separate chemical reactor system or add some inlines this is going to be part of my setups. It's easy and a big step up from using the orange and peach nylons I bought (for my tanks) on clearance.

CleveYank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2008, 09:02 PM   #5
Reefrookey
Registered Member

I found the MSDS on the web site you listed. Here is what it says

Health Hazard and First Aid Data
Note: The polyester fabric of the sock is
non-toxic.

Hope this helps

Adam

Reefrookey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2008, 09:15 PM   #6
oldreefer76
Registered Member

I have used the cheap mesh laundry bags from the $ stores in the past, cut out the size I need put the media in and close with a rubber band and when the media needs changed I just toss the old in the trash and make a new 1 last about a year

Current Tank Info: 15G and building
oldreefer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2008, 07:01 PM   #7
Fonchy
Registered Member

I went to walmart and got nylon socks, they come in a little plastic ball and is 2 for 0.33 cents. they work like a charm and never had a problem with them

Everyone is my friend but there are 2 people in this world that I despice the most: Murphy and Bill

Current Tank Info: Starting again with a 180 galReef
Fonchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2008, 07:16 PM   #8
oldreefer76
Registered Member

I have used those also, but was weary if the flow was enough through them, the laundry bags though hold the media well and get plenty of flow through them

Current Tank Info: 15G and building
oldreefer76 is offline   Reply With Quote