Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/24/2010, 06:08 PM   #51
ihavtats29
Registered Member

the controler makes it quit cooling you have to set it to your desired temp if the controler is not shutting it off it may be bad

Current Tank Info: 29 biocube HQI
ihavtats29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 06:45 PM   #52
ihavtats29
Registered Member

it could be a bad controler that is what shuts off the chiller, you can contact pacific coast and see what a new one is prob in the $150 range since they are shipped from china. another alternitive would be to use a Johnson controls model 419-A refridgeration controler it is more adjustable than the factory units and runs around $50 , you will have to water proof the thermistor it comes with , it can be done with heat shrink tubing.
first contact pacific coast they have a support line and a tech support line that can help you figure out if the controler is bad or not, and recheck your set point

Unread 05/24/2010, 08:39 PM   #53
autodave
Registered Member

I have a JBJ Artica 1/3 HP ..Do you know if the temp gauge ever needs to be calibrated?

autodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 08:52 PM   #54
Xgame2k
Registered Member

What to do when your chiller stops chilling? I just bought a chiller, but it's not chilling.

Xgame2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2010, 11:42 PM   #55
BFG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgame2k View Post
What to do when your chiller stops chilling? I just bought a chiller, but it's not chilling.
Hey, sounds like it rhyme. How did you connect the chiller to the tank?

Unread 05/25/2010, 02:01 AM   #56
Xgame2k
Registered Member

The way the directions show. It's an in-line aqualogic and it might have been sitting for 4 months.

Unread 05/25/2010, 04:10 AM   #57
BFG
Registered Member

http://www.aqualogicinc.com/water-chillers.htm

Which model? Did you inform the manufacturer of this condition? Kinda weird that it would stop working.

Unread 05/25/2010, 11:21 AM   #58
Xgame2k
Registered Member

Delta Star 1hp. It runs, just not cooling.

Unread 05/25/2010, 05:12 PM   #59
ihavtats29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodave View Post
I have a JBJ Artica 1/3 HP ..Do you know if the temp gauge ever needs to be calibrated?
it should not need to be if its giving a false reading. but it it were you would need to replace the thermistor i dont believe the factory controlers commonly used can be adjusted

Unread 05/25/2010, 05:14 PM   #60
ihavtats29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xgame2k View Post
if connected correctly and not too much flow thru the chiller there may be a refridgerant issue, since it is new i would contact the manufacture and go thru thier check list and sequence of tests to see what the issue is being that its under warranty

Unread 05/25/2010, 05:31 PM   #61
Xgame2k
Registered Member

It has about 8 months on it. Should the refridgerant be replaced or what?

Unread 05/25/2010, 06:31 PM   #62
ihavtats29
Registered Member

ok its not under warranty, first make sure the condenser fan motor comes on with the compressor ,it is most likely dirty too clean the condenser coil , brush off any caked up dust then blow out with compressed air, also clean the air filter it should be removable with a few screws and wash out under the sink let dry then reinstall. most of the time a dirty coil and filter will be the main reason a chiller will quit cooling

Unread 05/28/2010, 09:14 AM   #63
bumpbailey
Registered Member

I have a JBJ 1/3hp CHiller on my 180. It has completely shut down and will not restart. My ATO Shut down on me a week ago and my water level got low. THis is when the chiller shut down. Water was still being pumped through the chiller but I am not sure how much and for how long....not more than 4 or 5 hours. Could this have cased the fuse to blow? Or am I possibly looking at some other kind of damage?

bumpbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/28/2010, 10:48 AM   #64
tegee
Premium Member

I believe there is a fuse located directly above the power cord in the rear of the chiller. Give that a look....HTH

Unread 05/28/2010, 02:56 PM   #65
ihavtats29
Registered Member

check the fuse , if its blown there could be a few things that caused it, a lock up / grounded fan motor or compressor , or a dead short/ground , overheating compressor will blow the fuse , over amping from a dirty condencer coil can do the same, your ato will not cause your fuse to blow. before you change the fuse make sure the condencer fan spins freely , and check for and shorts /discolored or burnt wiring, and check for any grounds. to check compressor for grounds remove electrical cover from compressor, remove all wires from compressor terminals and from each of the terminals with a multi meter set on continuity or ohms to any of the copper tubing on the compressor , a reading of OL or 0.00 is what you want , do the same with the fan motor , be sure to make a diagram of what wire went where,if no grounds are found , replace the fuse and start the unit , check for the fan operation, and compressor comming on , with a amp meter you can check the total drawn amps of the compressor off all 3 wires that connect to the compressor terminals add together and divide by 3 it should not be higher than the listed rla # on the compressor tag the fan should only pull about .3 amps , if the compressor is hummin for a few seconds and then stops you may have a bad capasitor or locked up compressor replace the capasitor and start relay the start relay is on the compressor terminals a plastic piece with a coil in it , if that does not get the compressor to run it is locked up and you mite as well get a new chiller it will cost less than replacing the compressor, if the fan hums and will not turn or has a hard time turning it will be bad and need to be replaced

Unread 05/30/2010, 11:22 AM   #66
hardiel
Registered Member

OK. Since you offered here I go with my question:

I have a AQUA LOGIC 1/4 HP In-Line Aquarium Chiller with RANCO Digital Temperature Controller and a MAG 5 pump (500 gph). The tank is a 100G with a sump ( IDK, maybe 20?).

I have the controller to kick in when the tank reaches 78. I have it at +-2 degrees and it takes a couple of hours to go down these 2 degrees. I have the probe in the display tank and the in/out in the sump. Then I have a MAG 9 as a return pump. The chiller gets awful hot so I put a fan on the front to try to help.

Here comes the stupid calculaltion of the week: the water output reads 79. The input reads 80. So if the tank has 100G and the MAG 5 pumps 500 g/h it should take like 15 minutes to go down 1 degree right? Anyway,...

Questions:

1. Is it normal that takes that long?.
2. Is normal that gets that hot?
3. Is the fan helping?
4. Can this chiller be recharged with new gas? It's the old model.

EDIT: Forgot the bad news. I live in S Florida and I have MH (500W)

Here is the pic

Last edited by hardiel; 05/30/2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: forgot a lot of things
hardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2010, 05:05 PM   #67
ihavtats29
Registered Member

first blow out the condenser coil with compressed air or nitrogen, that will make a big diferance. expecialy since you are only getting a 1 degree drop from the chiller, you can also throtle back the amount of flow thru the chiller, the slower the flow the more drop you will get, and your calculation sounds good but it dont work that way, it all depends on the amount of flow heat load and tank size and room temp, a fan is a great improvement preventing the chillerfrom stacking the heat it puts off also check the condencer fan blade for buildup of dust it will lower the amount of cfm's the fan would normaly put out, and yes the chiller can be recharged but it should not need to be refridgerand does not go bad or get old . the only reason to recharge it woiuld be if there was a leak in the system. it most likely uses r-22

Unread 05/30/2010, 05:28 PM   #68
hardiel
Registered Member

thanks. You are a great asset in this forum. Great info. I finally opened it up and the coil nor the fan don't look too dusty. I found out that what gets boiling hot is the compressor. What doesn't look that good is this coil thing in the picture (IDK what that is).

I don't have a compressor at home. I found a place in craiglist in Ft Lauderdale (FL) that services them. I'll talk to them Tuesday an see how much they charge for blowing it and, if necessary charging gas.

hardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/30/2010, 08:57 PM   #69
ihavtats29
Registered Member

if the compressor is getting realy hot it needs to be cleaned. that coil is your liquid line is just thin copper tubing that has oxidation nothing to worry about, you should blow out your chiller coil 2 times a year maybe more depending how dusty you house is and how much the chiller runs, all it takes is a thin layer of dust to change the heat displacemeny of the coil , also you can clean your heat exchanger with a 50/50 mix of r/o and viniger fill a 5 gal bucket and pump the mix thru the chiller back to the bucket over night , calcium buildup will keep the chiller from chilling ,

Unread 06/06/2010, 08:40 PM   #70
autodave
Registered Member

Jim -I have a JBJ Artica 1/3 hp,For some reason the temp controller started to fluctuate up and down (non-stop)and wont hold a consistent temp.Any ideas what could be wrong?I have not used it in a few years but was working great after a few weeks when I got it set back up

Unread 06/07/2010, 05:36 AM   #71
ihavtats29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by autodave View Post
Jim -I have a JBJ Artica 1/3 hp,For some reason the temp controller started to fluctuate up and down (non-stop)and wont hold a consistent temp.Any ideas what could be wrong?I have not used it in a few years but was working great after a few weeks when I got it set back up
check the temp probe take it out of the heatexchanger and clean it by soaking it in vinager and cleaning with a firm toothbrush get it clean and it should start reading corrrectly agian , if problem continues you may need a new probe

Unread 06/07/2010, 07:35 AM   #72
dahenley
Registered Member

what switch makes the compressor turn on and off? say the chiller comes on and keeps cooling the water, past the set point. (the digital thermomitor reads correctly, but the chiller never shuts off.)

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2010, 07:47 AM   #73
autodave
Registered Member

Thanks -Yea-I was on thier website and they recommended to back flush with vinegar every 6 months -I've never done it since I got it

Unread 06/07/2010, 11:02 AM   #74
tegee
Premium Member

Backflushing the heat exchanger as well as keeping the condenser free of link and dust is critical to proper operation of a chiller. Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way. Now I am on a regular cleaning schedule.

Unread 06/07/2010, 06:02 PM   #75
ihavtats29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahenley View Post
what switch makes the compressor turn on and off? say the chiller comes on and keeps cooling the water, past the set point. (the digital thermomitor reads correctly, but the chiller never shuts off.)
there is a micro switch in the controler that calls for the compressor to come on , you can either replace the controler or use a reef controler with a hd-4 power module to control the chiller , you can get the factory controler by calling the manufacture