Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Agu Lukk
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/29/2006, 01:19 PM   #1
hal9000
Registered Member

Last month's Frag of the month

I was in a similar situation that you were last month so I too began to cut my frogswan. Your article was incredibly helpful. Even though I cut it last month it still is too large for my tank I was wondering how small you can cut the branches. Do they all attach somewhere? Could I severly damage the coral? I would like something to use for trading and selling I'm just kinda leerly on cutting it down to a singular head. Also I thought I read something about not cutting the white sections of the coral. If so I'm in trouble the entire bottom of my frog is white and slightly fleshy. aaaany help or experience you have would be greatly appreciated.

hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/29/2006, 09:33 PM   #2
Agu
Registered Member

Frogspawn is a hardy coral but it's not wise to cut into fleshy tissue. Although the coral can handle it that cut becomes a site for potential infection. Often in the situation you describe there's a spot where you can split the coral and allow it to grow until enough skeleton is exposed for further fragging.

A single head can be mounted using super glue jell and carving an indentation in a piece of rock. Super glue will hold a single head but isn't reliable for larger colonies.

If the heads are healthy and the skeleton isn't growing you might also want to check your calcium levels.

hth,

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Agu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/30/2006, 12:52 PM   #3
hal9000
Registered Member

Thank you very much. How can you tell if they are inffected I had an accident with my heater after the cut. It did lose about a head and a half, but after clean up and the shrimp attending to it they seem fine. There are no frawns in the burnt areas, but the rest of the coral as a whole seems fine. Thank you again you have been very helpful.

hal9000 is offline   Reply With Quote