Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Non-Photosynthetic Corals
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/14/2013, 11:33 AM   #276
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Here...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Liquid Feeder1.jpg (44.9 KB, 222 views)
File Type: jpg Liquid Feeder2.jpg (51.8 KB, 205 views)
Unread 01/14/2013, 02:02 PM   #277
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Thank you!

"...for it is not necessary that these hypotheses should be true, or even probably; but it is enough if they provide a calculus which fits the observations..."--Introduction (attributed to Andrew Osiander) to On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Sphere by Nicolaus Copernicus.

Current Tank Info: 600g DT, 140g sump, 200g Cryptic, 90g Refugium, 3-400w MH, 2 Reeflo Barracudas, and 3 MP60s
Lavoisier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2013, 10:25 PM   #278
SantaMonica
Registered Member

I'll be transferring that feeder to the new home for the inhabitants... a 16" tall poly trough with circular gyre flow.

Unread 02/20/2013, 05:10 PM   #279
ari5736
Registered Member

How long have you guys been able to keep dendronephthyas alive? Just curious what advances have been made since I last tried keeping these corals a couple of years ago.

ari5736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2013, 08:08 AM   #280
ZephNYC
Registered Member

Have had these dendroneptheas for 13 months now without a continuous feeder. I SOMETIMES set up a drip if I am going to be out all day/night, but other than that I just target feed.

http://imageshack.us/a/img203/4152/dsc1104e.jpg

Current Tank Info: 210 sps/125 nps/40B maxima growout
ZephNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2013, 09:02 PM   #281
SantaMonica
Registered Member

Ah, targetting. Very nice looking.

I however made a vow to never have to target.

Unread 03/13/2013, 07:45 AM   #282
Nick S
Registered Member

Came across this thread looking for auto feeder designs. I don't keep NPS, but I'd like an auto feeder to feed frozen food to my fish three times a day (I have a lot of anthias). I like the continuous loop idea to avoid any food staying in the line too long. But will a dosing pump work for me or will it clog? I feed frozen mysis, cyclop eeze, prawn roe, and a mix of shrimp, scallop, squid, etc that I mince up in a blender. I think the roe and cyclop eeze would do fine through the dosing pump's airline tubing, but the mysis and mixed food will probably clog the line. Any suggestions?

Also, how long will frozen food last unfrozen in the fridge? And should there be a micro power head in with the food to keep it suspended and avoid it all sinking to the bottom? Maybe on the same timer as the doser? Will running these foods through a power head destroy the food (specifically the roe)?

Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2013, 06:30 PM   #283
SantaMonica
Registered Member

You are going to have to blend that stuff up real good to get it through peristaltic lines.

SantaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2013, 01:35 AM   #284
xristo
Registered Member

ZephNYC

Can you give me some more information about yours method?

xristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2013, 11:46 PM   #285
LittleBurger
Registered Member

I've diy a ssyringe pump which is cheap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjOF...e_gdata_player

Using Air pump to push the plunger of the syringe to discharge the food.

LittleBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2013, 09:16 AM   #286
MeanGreenEyes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabacs View Post
2.0 version of the refridgerated autofeeder

Mike
I revamped my continuous feeder to utilize a full sized mini-fridge so that I can put a profilux doser inside with a 3/4" kent venturi. It's T'd off of my return and ran through the fridge and directly into the NPS/display fuge in my system.

Went to do a water change this morning and found out the hard way that turning off my return/not enough water pumping through causes water to shoot out the venturi.

Any suggestions to stop this from happening?

I ran it vertically...the input from the return comes through the bottom and pushes the water upward...

Here it is...

Unread 05/19/2013, 09:36 AM   #287
slapshot
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanGreenEyes View Post
I revamped my continuous feeder to utilize a full sized mini-fridge so that I can put a profilux doser inside with a 3/4" kent venturi. It's T'd off of my return and ran through the fridge and directly into the NPS/display fuge in my system.

Went to do a water change this morning and found out the hard way that turning off my return/not enough water pumping through causes water to shoot out the venturi.

Any suggestions to stop this from happening?

I ran it vertically...the input from the return comes through the bottom and pushes the water upward...

Here it is...

Ahh yeas, a lesson we all learned, me the hard way also!! You need to put a one way valve on the output of your feeder line. That or you can plumb one in between the display and the Venturi. So that water does not feed backwards.

slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2013, 07:06 PM   #288
Steveb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBurger View Post
I've diy a ssyringe pump which is cheap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjOF...e_gdata_player

Using Air pump to push the plunger of the syringe to discharge the food.
What did you use to cap off the end of the syringe to attach the airline to?

My Tanks
50x30 ABS Tub & a 48x24 frag tank at the moment
Steve's Reef 265 Build In Progress
Steveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2013, 09:10 PM   #289
SantaMonica
Registered Member

How can it shoot out if it's connected to the bottles/pumps?

SantaMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/19/2013, 11:05 PM   #290
MeanGreenEyes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
How can it shoot out if it's connected to the bottles/pumps?
It's back siphoning from the tank return line and shoots out of the venturi if my return pump is shut off.

Ordering this in the morning to put on the return line between the fridge and tank to stop it from occuring...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerks...6#.UZma-6LF1P0

Unread 05/20/2013, 12:16 PM   #291
Jndragon79
Registered Member

I love this thread. Reading the entire thing gave a ton of ideas on how to setup my own. I currently use an Enteral pump with a wine cooler to keep the solution cold. My question is, how do you keep the particles suspended or dose in a uniform way rather than have some chunks go out one day and then the next only liquid solution comes out?

Jndragon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2013, 04:00 PM   #292
MeanGreenEyes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jndragon79 View Post
I love this thread. Reading the entire thing gave a ton of ideas on how to setup my own. I currently use an Enteral pump with a wine cooler to keep the solution cold. My question is, how do you keep the particles suspended or dose in a uniform way rather than have some chunks go out one day and then the next only liquid solution comes out?
Magnetic stirrers...

like this:

http://www.heavydutysupplies.com/ser...Fcue4AodgDwAYA

Unread 05/20/2013, 04:07 PM   #293
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
What a great set up you're putting together. Are you using three stirrers for your dosing pumps?

"...for it is not necessary that these hypotheses should be true, or even probably; but it is enough if they provide a calculus which fits the observations..."--Introduction (attributed to Andrew Osiander) to On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Sphere by Nicolaus Copernicus.

Current Tank Info: 600g DT, 140g sump, 200g Cryptic, 90g Refugium, 3-400w MH, 2 Reeflo Barracudas, and 3 MP60s
Lavoisier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/20/2013, 04:47 PM   #294
MeanGreenEyes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavoisier View Post
What a great set up you're putting together. Are you using three stirrers for your dosing pumps?
I'm actually still in the process of putting my new feeder setup together. I still have to order my dosing pump.

GHL standalone 4 pump doser:

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2009/10/ghl...g-systems.html

As well as 4 of the magnetic stirrers that I linked above.

I ordered two of the check valves that I linked above as well...supposed to receive them Thursday. I want to put one between the "T" off of the return pump and the other on the output of the fridge before the tank...just to be safe. I can NOT have a flood/leak and check valves are known to fail...so I'm putting two just in case.

Unread 05/20/2013, 06:22 PM   #295
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm actually still in the process of putting my new feeder setup together. I still have to order my dosing pump.

GHL standalone 4 pump doser:

http://blog.aquanerd.com/2009/10/ghl...g-systems.html

As well as 4 of the magnetic stirrers that I linked above.

I ordered two of the check valves that I linked above as well...supposed to receive them Thursday. I want to put one between the "T" off of the return pump and the other on the output of the fridge before the tank...just to be safe. I can NOT have a flood/leak and check valves are known to fail...so I'm putting two just in case.

Quote:
It's back siphoning from the tank return line and shoots out of the venturi if my return pump is shut off.

Ordering this in the morning to put on the return line between the fridge and tank to stop it from occuring...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerks...6#.UZma-6LF1P0
problem with flapper valves like that is, particles can and do keep them open, and you typically need to swap out the spring used.

What are you dosing that needs magnetic stirrers?

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2013, 08:35 PM   #296
Reef Noob
Registered Member

The magnets in those stirrers aren't ballsy enough unless the food is very watery. If diluting the food is not going to pose a problem, then they will be ok.

When using an enteral feeding pump, you can thicken the food with sodium alginate to keep it from separating (no stirrer needed).

Reef Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2013, 04:45 PM   #297
GreshamH
Registered Member

failed post... sorry for the distraction

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2013, 11:40 PM   #298
IUfan
Registered Member

What does everyone think will be largest food that can pass through the Profilux doser? Looking at the Reef Nutrition line of products? Is Mysis an option? Or will it get stuck in the doser line?

IUfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/23/2013, 08:08 AM   #299
mattgreene22
work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by baringcs View Post
What did you use to cap off the end of the syringe to attach the airline to?
Yes, any more design details on this little solution? How has it worked out if you've been using this for a while?

mattgreene22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2013, 05:09 PM   #300
SantaMonica
Registered Member

I may have missed it, but has anyone tried connecting a live pod cultivation system to a continuous doser?