Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/10/2014, 07:38 AM   #51
moriarty
Registered Member

Wow! Your rainfordi is stunning! I love that you still have the first fish (Talbot's damsels) from when you first started with SW. Says a lot about you as a hobbyist/aquarist! Very cool!

moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2014, 08:21 AM   #52
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmorty217 View Post
What other butterfly's are you getting for the tank? I,myself have been waiting patiently for a Mitratus to come up for sale... Hopefully it happens this month (it's my birthday later this month and it's easier to justify to my wife why I'm spending so much on a fish!)
Mitratus, Declivis, Ocellatus, possibly Larvatus - need to set up a frozen auto feeder before that happens.

There are a few other odd balls I'm on the hunt for as well.

I'm considering a bandit around Christmas time, but it's another angel and I kind of doing want any more angels. I just need more space.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
caribfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2014, 08:24 AM   #53
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
Wow! Your rainfordi is stunning! I love that you still have the first fish (Talbot's damsels) from when you first started with SW. Says a lot about you as a hobbyist/aquarist! Very cool!
I'm not sure what it is about those little guys, I just really like them. I can still remember the day when I first bought them.

Not to be misunderstood though, the talbots I have now are not the same talbots I had when I first started.

Current Tank Info:
50 Breeder Quarantine Tank, 240 Miracles Finally up and running, 29 Biocube - AI Nano
Unread 10/10/2014, 09:48 AM   #54
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribfan View Post
Mitratus, Declivis, Ocellatus, possibly Larvatus - need to set up a frozen auto feeder before that happens.

There are a few other odd balls I'm on the hunt for as well.

I'm considering a bandit around Christmas time, but it's another angel and I kind of doing want any more angels. I just need more space.
The tinkeri that's on DD is awesome but too pricey for my liking and after the juv false personifer I just received from them on Wednesday... I won't be buying from DD again anytime soon... (Will start a thread about that soon) I love the bandits and if your looking for a small one from the source you should get in contact with Ted (Humaguy) he is able to get juvs every year around April to mayish. The other thing to consider is the deep water angels do much better and live longer in tanks below 75 degrees, closer to 71-72 is best. That isn't always easy to accomplish though

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2014, 10:14 AM   #55
caribfan
Registered Member

I've talked to Ted a bit about his source, not sure I'm up for the tiny bandits.

My tank is on the Cooler side anyway, I don't run a heater at the moment.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 10/10/2014, 11:57 AM   #56
caribfan
Registered Member

News guys are in and they are HUGE! Everything looks decent, doubt I'll get pictures till tomorrow night or Sunday, plan to let the hang out in the dark for a bit.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 10/11/2014, 12:11 AM   #57
HPark
Registered Member

Wow - those venusta are thick! What are you feeding them? have 2 coming from DD tomorrow - hopefully, I can get them as plump as your fish.

Unread 10/11/2014, 05:45 AM   #58
caribfan
Registered Member

Lots of LRS foods. Occasionally PE mysis. I got lucky, they started eating from the get go.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 10/11/2014, 07:04 AM   #59
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Matt where do you get your LRF locally?

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Unread 10/11/2014, 07:22 AM   #60
caribfan
Registered Member

I bought a bunch at the frag swap back in the spring. Marine solutions also sells it, they are out in waynesville. I'm working on getting my local guy to become a retailer for them too.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 10/11/2014, 07:27 AM   #61
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

I know marine slolutions sells it but they have weird hours and Cesar's creek area isn't exactly a 30 min trip for me... I will have to stock up at the spring swap I guess

Unread 10/11/2014, 07:32 AM   #62
caribfan
Registered Member

Well I think I'm going to move the rest of my fish into the DT today.... I had planned to do it in two more phases over the next month, but that new regal is huge and just isn't coexisting with the multi bars well and I need the tank space to separate them.

I'm a bit nervous about taxing my display tank with a big increase in bio load, but I think it's the only option I've got. Luckily I have a huge skimmer. I'm just going to stay on top of water changes, more so than normal.

On the plus side, I'll have all my fish in the display tank.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 10/11/2014, 08:20 AM   #63
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
I know marine slolutions sells it but they have weird hours and Cesar's creek area isn't exactly a 30 min trip for me... I will have to stock up at the spring swap I guess
There is another place I won't mention in Moraine, they may have a few packs of it. If you want to wait a month or so, I'll email Larry about doing a group buy between you and I, not sure what his minimums are though.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 10/11/2014, 08:36 AM   #64
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Well I think I'm going to move the rest of my fish into the DT today.... I had planned to do it in two more phases over the next month, but that new regal is huge and just isn't coexisting with the multi bars well and I need the tank space to separate them.

I'm a bit nervous about taxing my display tank with a big increase in bio load, but I think it's the only option I've got. Luckily I have a huge skimmer. I'm just going to stay on top of water changes, more so than normal.

On the plus side, I'll have all my fish in the display tank.
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. That skimmer looks like it can handle things in *cough* angeltown *cough, cough*

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Current Tank Info: 240g butterfly and angel FOWLR. 15g QT.
SDguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/11/2014, 08:39 AM   #65
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Quote:
There is another place I won't mention in Moraine, they may have a few packs of it. If you want to wait a month or so, I'll email Larry about doing a group buy between you and I, not sure what his minimums are though.
Haha yes I know that place... John is a ***** and they hardly carry the stuff as it is. I can't stand walking into that place with unhealthy fish and at least a 100% markup on livestock

Unread 10/11/2014, 09:18 AM   #66
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. That skimmer looks like it can handle things in *cough* angeltown *cough, cough*
Everybody is moved, I'll take some pictures today or tomorrow, maybe a video too. Much closer to butterfly town now, but my current quarantine inhabitants will quickly change that once they're added.

I'm hopeful the skimmer and water changes will mitigate any shock to the biological filter.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 10/11/2014, 09:19 AM   #67
caribfan
Registered Member

Quote:
Haha yes I know that place... John is a ***** and they hardly carry the stuff as it is. I can't stand walking into that place with unhealthy fish and at least a 100% markup on livestock
I don't buy fish there, but stop in from time to time. It's really gone down hill since he fired most of his employees a year and a half ago.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 10/11/2014, 09:29 AM   #68
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Everybody is moved, I'll take some pictures today or tomorrow, maybe a video too. Much closer to butterfly town now, but my current quarantine inhabitants will quickly change that once they're added.

I'm hopeful the skimmer and water changes will mitigate any shock to the biological filter.
Awesome! Looking forward to pics!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 10/11/2014, 10:38 AM   #69
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Let me know about the group by in a month or so, I will definetly do that with you. I use to work for john when he still had the freshwater whole sale and he was the same back then. Some things never change

Unread 10/11/2014, 10:46 AM   #70
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Will Larry do group buys directly if a LFS near by carries it?

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 10/11/2014, 11:40 AM   #71
caribfan
Registered Member

Don't truthfully know. I think he has a policy of not shipping directly to customers, but I think his website says that if there aren't any options locally that he'll work with you.

I know red has bought directly from him before and Larry is a great guy to work with. I would imagine that if the order was big enough, he'd do it.

Current Tank Info:
Unread 10/11/2014, 11:42 AM   #72
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Don't truthfully know. I think he has a policy of not shipping directly to customers, but I think his website says that if there aren't any options locally that he'll work with you.

I know red has bought directly from him before and Larry is a great guy to work with. I would imagine that if the order was big enough, he'd do it.
You can't imagine the amount of food I go through!

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 10/11/2014, 11:52 AM   #73
caribfan
Registered Member

Yes I can. You don't have a puffer or a trigger. At least butterflies take small bites.

I counted, 5 angels, 6 butterflies, quarantine tank not withstanding....

Current Tank Info:
Unread 10/11/2014, 11:55 AM   #74
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

Quote:
Yes I can. You don't have a puffer or a trigger. At least butterflies take small bites.
Ha! Get ready buddy.... I don't know what you are used to, but butterflies "taking small bites" is going to be a thing of the past with most. The amount of food they consume makes me wonder how they keep their girlish figure

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.

Unread 10/11/2014, 12:01 PM   #75
SDguy
Fish heads unite!

My other comment would be.... just because you have "delicate" eaters, doesn't mean the tank won't feel it. Add a puffer and trigger to the mix.... yikes, get that water change schedule updated. I'm telling you.... my butterflies and angels poop the water enough. I can't even imagine a "messy" eater like a puffer or trigger in the mix. Just saying.... be prepared.

SDMAS member

Marine tanks since 1989.