Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 08/13/2008, 11:57 PM   #976
maroun.c
Registered Member

Tank looks a lot better Schwe.
Hopefully you won't have to deal with the alga issue again.
Did you identify a change you made that caused this improvement or was it just taking out as much alga as yo ucan and trying to decrease nutrients that finally worked things out?
any plans for new additions now that yo ugot rid of the alga and anemone stress?

Current Tank Info: 390G mixed reef
Unread 08/14/2008, 12:35 AM   #977
Taqpol
Registered Member

Wow, the tank looks so much better without all the fuzzies on the back glass. Do you know what cause the algae to grow in the sump in the first place?

Completely off topic, I finally decided on what I'm doing for graduate schooling and have found a very nice apartment in which I hope to be able to stay for at least six years and while I'm there I plan on upgrading my tank. I was just curious as to your opinion on the differences between a 75 gallon and a 90 gallon tank. They're the same dimensions, but the 75 is shallower and as such it seems like it would be easier to light. To space loving fishes (tangs, angels) also need the depth or would a 75 be as good as a 90 for a bristletooth or yellow tang? Basically, what made you go with a 90?

-Alex
Unread 08/14/2008, 04:21 AM   #978
Schwe
Registered Member

I got the 90 because it is what I found on craigslist for a great price. The 90 and 75 are the same, as you said. I think that it would be easier to provide high intensity lighting with a shallower tank-- and you won't get your boobs wet reaching into the back of the tank for those cold water snails.

I honestly don't know how the depth affects a Tang... As tank length seems to be the paramount with them. Also, in my opinion, the more water volume, the better. It makes for a more forgiving tank, and as a grad student you wont exactly find yourself with oodles of spare time to dote on your tank.

[i]Because the archenemy of "Good Enough" is "Better."
Patrick12 of Okinawa, Japan[/i]

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon- 20G Sump, DSB, 50x turnover, Icecap T5 Retrofit
Unread 08/14/2008, 07:42 AM   #979
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Schwe
I got the 90 because it is what I found on craigslist for a great price. The 90 and 75 are the same, as you said. I think that it would be easier to provide high intensity lighting with a shallower tank-- and you won't get your boobs wet reaching into the back of the tank for those cold water snails.

I honestly don't know how the depth affects a Tang... As tank length seems to be the paramount with them. Also, in my opinion, the more water volume, the better. It makes for a more forgiving tank, and as a grad student you wont exactly find yourself with oodles of spare time to dote on your tank.
tangs need the length more than the width because they are open swimmers in nature and like to make a decent dash across the tank once and awhile
they also like their piece of the rock

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 08/14/2008, 07:57 PM   #980
Schwe
Registered Member

I thought so. Thanks for the conformation, Scott.

I had a terrible back day today. I'm usually the person who is cold in the room, I like my environment a few degrees warmer than most people. And, working in a doctor's office I am ALWAYS cold, and always wear my lab coat to keep me warm. Today I felt like I was having hot flashes (and I'm way too young to be having those!) I was in so much pain. I don't know how I made it through the day.

I had an MRI and x-rays taken Tuesday, but won't get results/meet with the doctor until this upcoming Tuesday. I called the office while I was still at work (they are on the first floor of the building, we are on the third) to see if they could possibly squeeze me in to see the doctor after I get out, but they were apparently way too busy today. I asked for at least some kind of pain killer... The doctor reviewed my MRI and gave me a Rx for Ultram (Tramadol). I don't know how I survived the commute home through stop & go rush hour traffic on the highway. I drive 5MT, so I can't just sit back and tap a pedal to slowly roll forward. I have to constantly shift between 1st and 2nd and use both legs. NOT a fun way to make the crawl back home. I think that if I am diagnosed with anything serious (bulging/herniated disc) I'm going to have to seriously consider hanging up my 5MT reigns and getting an automatic. I just can't handle the driving-- how freaking pathetic is that?

Anyway, I picked up the Rx ASAP on the way home and took it as soon as I walked through our threshold. I lay down on the couch with a pillow under my back and surfed the net on my laptop, researching about this med I was given. (Yes, I'm OCD ) I was starting to get a bit disappointed, thinking this was going to be yet another medicine that doesn't do jack squat for pain relief for me. I then started to notice that I was zoning out a bit while reading, and when Pete asked me a question it took me a few seconds to register what he was saying. Our couch is right next to the fish tank, and the fish were dancing around and begging me for food. I got up to feed them and realized that I was feeling pretty loopy. I fed them and lay back down, put the laptop away and konked out for a few hours. It felt SO good to finally get some rest and relief from my pain. I woke up at about 8:45pm and couldn't believe that I was out for that long! I am just now starting to get a bit of a twinge of pain back, but it is so so much better than pre-Tramadol.

I asked the pharmacist when I picked up the Rx if he thought that it would interfere with work or if I could take it as needed, and he said I should be fine. I hope that my affects today were just because I took the max dose (Rx is for 1-2 pills q6hrs, I took 2) and was in so much pain / was tired from the day, and not a sign of things to come!

Anyway... sorry to ramble about my OT issues, but I just had to get it off my chest. I can't wait for a diagnosis so that I can have a freakin' plan of action, already!

Unread 08/14/2008, 09:19 PM   #981
otrlynn
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that you have been hurting that bad. Hopefully you will get pain relief with one pill, because it certainly sounds like you should not be driving after taking two. Make sure you're okay to drive before setting off to work tomorrow morning. Hang in there!

Unread 08/14/2008, 09:41 PM   #982
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
I thought so. Thanks for the conformation, Scott.

I had a terrible back day today. I'm usually the person who is cold in the room, I like my environment a few degrees warmer than most people. And, working in a doctor's office I am ALWAYS cold, and always wear my lab coat to keep me warm. Today I felt like I was having hot flashes (and I'm way too young to be having those!) I was in so much pain. I don't know how I made it through the day.

I had an MRI and x-rays taken Tuesday, but won't get results/meet with the doctor until this upcoming Tuesday. I called the office while I was still at work (they are on the first floor of the building, we are on the third) to see if they could possibly squeeze me in to see the doctor after I get out, but they were apparently way too busy today. I asked for at least some kind of pain killer... The doctor reviewed my MRI and gave me a Rx for Ultram (Tramadol). I don't know how I survived the commute home through stop & go rush hour traffic on the highway. I drive 5MT, so I can't just sit back and tap a pedal to slowly roll forward. I have to constantly shift between 1st and 2nd and use both legs. NOT a fun way to make the crawl back home. I think that if I am diagnosed with anything serious (bulging/herniated disc) I'm going to have to seriously consider hanging up my 5MT reigns and getting an automatic. I just can't handle the driving-- how freaking pathetic is that?

Anyway, I picked up the Rx ASAP on the way home and took it as soon as I walked through our threshold. I lay down on the couch with a pillow under my back and surfed the net on my laptop, researching about this med I was given. (Yes, I'm OCD ) I was starting to get a bit disappointed, thinking this was going to be yet another medicine that doesn't do jack squat for pain relief for me. I then started to notice that I was zoning out a bit while reading, and when Pete asked me a question it took me a few seconds to register what he was saying. Our couch is right next to the fish tank, and the fish were dancing around and begging me for food. I got up to feed them and realized that I was feeling pretty loopy. I fed them and lay back down, put the laptop away and konked out for a few hours. It felt SO good to finally get some rest and relief from my pain. I woke up at about 8:45pm and couldn't believe that I was out for that long! I am just now starting to get a bit of a twinge of pain back, but it is so so much better than pre-Tramadol.

I asked the pharmacist when I picked up the Rx if he thought that it would interfere with work or if I could take it as needed, and he said I should be fine. I hope that my affects today were just because I took the max dose (Rx is for 1-2 pills q6hrs, I took 2) and was in so much pain / was tired from the day, and not a sign of things to come!

Anyway... sorry to ramble about my OT issues, but I just had to get it off my chest. I can't wait for a diagnosis so that I can have a freakin' plan of action, already!
sorry to hear about your back--I can empathize with you having just gotten over a herniated disk---when I was your age I used to be able to stradle a six cylinder engine --undo the motor mounts and bell housing bolts and then lift it out of the car---the guys used to take bets on this---now 30 years later I am paying the price
anyways I am trying to occupy my mind by being on here--an hour ago I went into the fish room to discover that one of our dogs--Fred, a malteese had died in there--only six years old==right now I am trying to type after 3 healthy shots of rye--whisky to you guys---it may numb back pain but not the loss of Fred

Current Tank Info: 150gal long mixed reef, 90gal sump, 60 gal refugium with 200 lbs live rock
Unread 08/14/2008, 10:47 PM   #983
MPeer
Registered Member

Scott sorry to hear about the little dog. That really is not what you want to see going into the fish room. RIP little guy!

Unread 08/14/2008, 10:49 PM   #984
MPeer
Registered Member

Schwe - Hope you get better and don't push yourself too hard. I hope those water changes didn't cause you pain. Boy, there is just a run of bad luck on here lately.

Unread 08/15/2008, 04:21 AM   #985
Schwe
Registered Member

Scott, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Was he sick? Please accept my deepest condolences and pass them along to your wife. Unfortunately, I understand the sudden loss of one of your furry kids all too well. I don't find it coincidental that he made his transition to the rainbow bridge on a place that brings you great joy.

Lesya

Unread 08/15/2008, 05:25 AM   #986
otrlynn
Registered Member

Scott, my condolences to you and your wife also. Our pets really become part of the family and it hurts to lose them..

Unread 08/15/2008, 06:25 AM   #987
Aquarist007
Registered Member

thanks everyone--Fred was named after my wife's grandfather who had white hair just like him
His best buddy Sasha, his twin, is really out of sorts already.

Fred was only five---so this is a real shock

Its coincidental but I have been worried about my workout partner Kelsey, even to yesterday afternoon--she is almost 10 and walks are really becoming problematic for her(Kelsey is a yellow Lab)

Unread 08/16/2008, 06:07 AM   #988
maroun.c
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your dog Scott, It's always sad to lose our pets.
Schwe if indeed you are having back pains you should seriously consider all advice given to yuo earlier about water changes. Hope your MRI turns out OK

Current Tank Info: 390G mixed reef
Unread 08/16/2008, 06:36 AM   #989
otrlynn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by capn_hylinur
thanks everyone--Fred was named after my wife's grandfather who had white hair just like him
His best buddy Sasha, his twin, is really out of sorts already.

Fred was only five---so this is a real shock

Its coincidental but I have been worried about my workout partner Kelsey, even to yesterday afternoon--she is almost 10 and walks are really becoming problematic for her(Kelsey is a yellow Lab)
My walking partner was a black Lab named Jake. It was around the age of ten that he could not keep up the pace/distance. Glucosamine/Chondroitin seemed to help with joint pain for a little while. There are other meds for dogs who are developing arthritis, some quite effective. Unfortunately though, these wonderful guys age more quickly than we'd like. In the later years, I had to take him for a short walk, then drop him off at the house and continue on myself. Hang in there.

Unread 08/16/2008, 07:41 AM   #990
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by otrlynn
My walking partner was a black Lab named Jake. It was around the age of ten that he could not keep up the pace/distance. Glucosamine/Chondroitin seemed to help with joint pain for a little while. There are other meds for dogs who are developing arthritis, some quite effective. Unfortunately though, these wonderful guys age more quickly than we'd like. In the later years, I had to take him for a short walk, then drop him off at the house and continue on myself. Hang in there.
thanks very much---good advice and its what the vet has told me too
actually the vet added that to keep the weight down on Kelsey to give her two or three short walks a day--it beats her lol'ing around all day and letting her metabolism slip
as for me I will have to increase my work out times at the gym and decrease my time on RC

Unread 08/16/2008, 07:43 AM   #991
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maroun.c
Sorry to hear about your dog Scott, It's always sad to lose our pets.
Schwe if indeed you are having back pains you should seriously consider all advice given to yuo earlier about water changes. Hope your MRI turns out OK
thanks maroun.c I hesitated in posting her since it was not a reef related thing but everyone's thoughts have made this difficult time alot easier.

Last edited by Aquarist007; 08/16/2008 at 07:51 AM.
Unread 08/16/2008, 07:51 AM   #992
raen
Registered Member

I sure hope Schwe girl is ready for this split. I know I thought I was, thank goodness for a friend who helped a sister out.

She wasn't wicked, she only liked the shoes!!!

Current Tank Info: 60 Gall Hex, 3 #3's, no fuge..........YET!!!
Unread 08/16/2008, 07:52 AM   #993
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by otrlynn
Fred has the blue bows (one year ago)

(six months ago--the camera shy one)

Unread 08/16/2008, 08:13 AM   #994
Tswifty
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by raen
I sure hope Schwe girl is ready for this split. I know I thought I was, thank goodness for a friend who helped a sister out.
Wow... didn't realize how close... only 6 posts left

Unread 08/16/2008, 08:37 AM   #995
Aquarist007
Registered Member

nope 5 posts now

Unread 08/16/2008, 08:38 AM   #996
Aquarist007
Registered Member

Quote:
Scott, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Was he sick? Please accept my deepest condolences and pass them along to your wife. Unfortunately, I understand the sudden loss of one of your furry kids all too well. I don't find it coincidental that he made his transition to the rainbow bridge on a place that brings you great joy.

Lesya
"Rainbow bridge" that's the second time in a day I have come across that--where did that saying come from

Unread 08/16/2008, 08:41 AM   #997
kar93
Registered Member

Figured I should get in on this thread before the split. The tank is looking great, I really like the rockwork.

Unread 08/16/2008, 09:02 AM   #998
Tswifty
Registered Member

2 more... where's Schwe???

Unread 08/16/2008, 09:02 AM   #999
kar93
Registered Member

I think somebody might need to swoop in and split it for her.

Unread 08/16/2008, 09:02 AM   #1000
JohnL
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...readid=1452657

Closed Thread