Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarium Society of Los Angeles County
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2006, 02:49 PM   #26
Konadog
Master of the 16 hour day

Copy is one of the greatest forms of flattery!

I actually wanted a 60" tank, but this used one came up and I just couldn't pass up another great deal! I lucked out on starphire on the side panels. This tank, other than being a foot longer, was exactly what I was looking for. The only thing I would do differently is have the front euro brace drilled for 1" sea swirls. That way I would have the option of putting flow at the front of the tank pushing back. I may still have it done before I put it up. I like Tunze's but I don't like the look of any powerhead in the tank. I did that on my old 100 gallon, I just wanted a clean look in this tank.

I'll have to look at the glass thickness tonight, but I think it's 1/2 or 5/8's thick. I can tell you it's a four man operation to move this sucker!

Are you going to go with a metal stand or wood?

-Ken

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless, and loving it!
Konadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2006, 03:06 PM   #27
kokob007
Registered Member

Konadog how much did that tank cost you? and from where.

kokob007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2006, 03:30 PM   #28
Konadog

I purchased it from Scott Berman (sberman on RC) He purchased it from Lee Mar. The tank was only set up for about two years.

Let's just say I got a great deal that doesn't come around too often and leave it at that!

The stand was made by my welder where I work. The design was copied and discussed with Jason at So. Cal. Creations. He gave me a few pointers before I had it made. You gotta love help from a place that sells them themselves, but gives you info even if they know there not selling it to you. A first class bunch of guys they are over there.

-Ken

Unread 01/31/2006, 08:20 PM   #29
john37
Super Rad Member

i think i'm going w/a custom oak or cherry stand and canopy. i like the stand you have but i wanted something that looks real nice so that my parents wont mind when i've got this huge tank in the living room. about the holes for the sea swirl. i feel that w/the flow from the tunzes the 1100gal/hr from the sea swirls will just get lost. i'm thinking of placing the 6100's in the deco rocks positioned in the middle/front portion of my tank but maybe a foot off the bottom mixed in w/the liverock.

Current Tank Info: ange!
john37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2006, 09:53 PM   #30
Konadog

Sounds nice John. My steal stand will be covered with a wood cover of some sort. We haven't made up our mind as to what exactly. The nice part is I can change it when ever I want without draining the tank!

I've been looking at the new VorTech pumps and have some interesting ideas on how to use one.

-Ken

Unread 02/01/2006, 04:09 PM   #31
Konadog

To answer a question from another thread:

Quote:
Originally posted by ncsugrad04
Konadog, that is sweet, did you have that made locally, or did you make it yourself. How much weight do you think it will hold, was it very expensive? How well do you think that the truck liner will hold up? Is the tank a glass or acrylic tank?
I work for a Commercial Air Conditioning Service Company and have access to a few things the average person probably doesn't, like a few people that know how to weld and a constant flow of material. I think the cost of material (80' of 2" x 2" square tube) was around $220, and the guy welding took about 12 hours to complete it.

As to how much weight it will hold, I'm sure it will hold 3 times what my fully loaded tank will ever weigh!

I think that the truck bed liner will hold up much better than any paint or powder coat, but only time will tell. I have seen bracing that was powder coated rust within a year and don't want that to happen to me.

The tank has been mentioned in this thread, but is a glass tank. I'm to clumsy to own acrylic, and would probably scratch it in a day!

-Ken

Unread 02/01/2006, 04:25 PM   #32
moonpod
Premium Member

Hah, Ken, that "rusting powder coated" stuff....I think I know why those tanks (including my office tank) were so "reasonably priced". The powder coat on my new tank seems much, better, BUT that being said, that epoxy, truck liner stuff should definitely be much tougher and if I ever need to replace my steel frame (God forbid) I think I know who I'm gonna be bugging.....

Current Tank Info: 32" Leemar starfire cube now empty and not quite so stinky
moonpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2006, 07:07 PM   #33
Konadog

I'm glad to here that Chuck. I have seen a few of those tops rust, and that's what got me thinking about Linex.

Well, I just dropped the stand off at the Linex place, should have it finished for me tomorrow. I'll post some after pictures then.

One thing I didn't know is how tuff that stuff is. They asked me what type of floor it was going on because they sprayed some display stands for truck suspension company, and when the guy slid them into his shop, they scratched the heck out of his new fancy floor. He just thought it was nice soft rubber.

-Ken

Unread 02/01/2006, 07:25 PM   #34
loserkidz
Registered Member

Ken,
The "Above mentioned" tanks that have been rusting clearly weren't powder coated. Even when we were setting up that tank in Encino I knew that it wasn't powder coated, but actually painted. I just got back from Socal Creations and they will be making my sump for my system over there in Texas. It is 60"X24"X24" and then your prop tank will be above the sump on the stand that I have to make my lazy but weld this weekend. I am going to try a product that we sell at work that is made for the aircraft and sand blasting machines. It is chip proof and is a two component system.
Hopefully we will be setting up your tank next week!!!!!
Brent Higa
PS
Just go out and buy a new freaking cell phone you cheap bastard!!!!!!

loserkidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2006, 08:12 PM   #35
Konadog

Quote:
Originally posted by loserkidz
PS
Just go out and buy a new freaking cell phone you cheap bastard!!!!!!
NO WAY HOSAY! You got the cheap part right! I should have my new one by Friday. They gave my my new charger and cover yesterday, but the phone comes later, go figure.

I'm trying to get it together as fast as I can, and you pushing your move date up two weeks didn't help. I only have two weekends this month to get it together so stop nagin!

So they weren't powder coated, they were crinkle coated, that makes more sense. We'll see how the Linex holds up, and I think it may also help quiet the stand some as there will be no metal against the floor.

-Ken

Unread 02/01/2006, 08:41 PM   #36
loserkidz
Registered Member

That's some terrible spanish!!!
Anyways, I never thought about the rubber coating silencing the vibrations to the floor. To me it just looked like what you said, just a coat of paint. All of the power coating that I have ever seen was baked on and had a even finsh with a higher mil too. I am not bashing the manufacturer, I will let the owners do that!!!!
I'll try to limit my nagging to one call a day and maybe only two pm's, but no less my friend!!!! At least now with me bugging it makes your wife actually think that you have a friend!!!!
Brent Higa
MASLAC Secretary of NOTHING!!

Unread 02/01/2006, 08:44 PM   #37
moonpod
Premium Member

Yeah my setup is a big 'ol echo chamber

Unread 02/01/2006, 08:51 PM   #38
Konadog

Chuck, wood floors don't help. I'm moving my tank from the wood floors, to the addition part of the house that has a slab floor covered in tile.

My wife wants this tank to be a quiet as possible.

-Ken

Unread 02/01/2006, 09:00 PM   #39
john37
Super Rad Member

ken how big are you going to drill the holes for the sea swirls on your eurobracing.

Unread 02/01/2006, 09:11 PM   #40
loserkidz
Registered Member

Ken,
how about you just give your wife some earplugs and call it a day!!
Brent

Unread 02/01/2006, 09:20 PM   #41
Konadog

John, there are already two drilled in the back corners that came on the tank for 1" SS, they are 2". I don't know if I'm going to have time to put any up front. I may have a new idea using a VorTech pump.

-Ken

Unread 02/01/2006, 09:20 PM   #42
Konadog

Quote:
Originally posted by loserkidz
Ken,
how about you just give your wife some earplugs and call it a day!!
Brent
WHAT!

-Ken

Unread 02/01/2006, 09:45 PM   #43
john37
Super Rad Member

when are those vortechs coming out?

Unread 02/01/2006, 09:48 PM   #44
Konadog

From what I hear, some time in March. We'll see what happens.

-Ken

Unread 02/01/2006, 09:53 PM   #45
moonpod
Premium Member

Dude the vortechs are 345 a pop MSRP.

Forget seaswirls (although if you want 'em I can bring 2 1" to the 2/11 MASLAC)--go WAVYSEA

Unread 02/01/2006, 10:09 PM   #46
john37
Super Rad Member

yeah i was thinking wavy sea too. but just wanted to see what size holes to drill first.

although i feel that the streams will overpower the seaswirl/wavysea so i dont know how well they'll do in changing the direction of the water flow

Unread 02/01/2006, 10:27 PM   #47
Konadog

I already have two brand new 1" SS in the box, and two used 1" SS so I'm going to use what I have for now.

Did you see that next months meeting, we are going to have the wavy sea company demo one of there units? Maybe I can trade him a two for one deal

-Ken

Unread 02/01/2006, 10:49 PM   #48
moonpod
Premium Member

Good luck Ken! If you can pull that off, I'm gonna bring my 2 1" SS for trade in too!

Unread 02/01/2006, 10:59 PM   #49
TheCoralNabber
Registered Member

Looking real good Ken, got my question answered as well. I have a cap that looks pretty darn close to the one you have in your icon. http://community.webshots.com/photo/...28616002mCVkwM

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...28616002GDGlrJ

Can't wait to see futher progress on your tank.

TheCoralNabber

Back at it...

Watch out or I'll Nab your Corals!

Current Tank Info: 12g nano been going since '04 has been mostly FO but not adding some more corals
TheCoralNabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2006, 11:21 PM   #50
Konadog

WOW, that's really nice! How big is that?
That cap was one of my favorite pieces in my old tank. I have a small piece for my new tank just as soon as it's ready.

So, are you going for the name change?

-Ken