Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/31/2020, 08:27 AM   #1
TravelerBob
Registered Member

Questions About Tank Transfer Method (TTM)

Not sure which forum to post this question, but it is for my 310 gallon....

Hello. I am just starting my first reef tank, a 310 gallon Planet Aquarium. I am planning to use the TTM for the introduction of all fish into my new aquarium from the start. I figure an ounce of prevention is worth it in the end! Couple of questions:

1) I have a dedicated fish room that will be behind the main display tank (still a work in progress). The room has a double utility sink (see pics). Could this be used as the 2 tanks for the TTM method or do I actually need two 10 gal plastic containers that are spread far enough apart to minimize contamination from spray? Just thought this would be great to be able to use the double (divided) sink.

2) I know that TTM is only for fish. Can coral, snails, crabs, serpent stars, etc get or carry ick and how do you handle them prior to introduction into the main display tank so that you don't introduce ick into the tank. I will be running a large UV sterilizer on the tank, but would still like to prevent the introduction of ick into the tank, if at all possible.

Thanks!! Bob (St. Louis, MO)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fishroom4.jpg (45.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Fishroom3.jpg (37.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Fishroom1.jpg (35.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Fishroom2.jpg (39.2 KB, 19 views)
TravelerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2020, 07:40 AM   #2
TravelerBob
Registered Member

Lots of views so far, but no replies.... :-(

Does anyone actually use the TTM? I was speaking to my local fish store yesterday and they didn't have anything good to say about the TTM and basically said that it doesn't work, causes too much stress for the fish, and ich is just going to be there regardless but only really surfaces during times of stress. Any thoughts? I still really want to use the TTM method because my goal is to start with an ich-free display tank and keep it that way..... Thanks!

Unread 08/05/2020, 08:27 AM   #3
gablami
Registered Member

I do TTM. I think the divided sink will work. Obviously the side you’re not using will stay dry. So even if a droplet aerosoled, it would dry out and die. On the actual transfer a small amount of water transfers with the fish (it’s not like we shake them off or towel them off). You can also cover one side.

I wouldn’t fill the sides of the sink even close to the top. And obviously it would make it pretty easy to drain and clean the tanks after use.

I’ve done a lot of TTM, for all my fish. When I transfer, I setup the new tank next to the old (not 10ft away) a couple hours before and let the heater warm up the water, and then transfer and take down the old tank immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gablami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/05/2020, 08:53 AM   #4
TravelerBob
Registered Member

excellent! thank you. Have you lost many fish in the process due to stress from all of the transfers every 3 days? Do you also quarantine the fish after the TTM period for another extended period of time or just add them to your display tank following TTM?

Thanks!! Bob

Unread 08/05/2020, 12:59 PM   #5
gablami
Registered Member

I haven’t lost any fish recently. Back when I was first starting I had a school of Chromis that I was TTMing and I lost a couple. But I think that’s cause the Chromis killed was other as they are prone to do. Haven’t lost a fish during TTM that I attributed to TTM that I can recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gablami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/10/2020, 09:55 AM   #6
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

My first thought is find a new LFS. They don't know what they are talking about.
TTM is a proven method of ridding fish of Ich.

I always TTM. No exceptions. I also do a couple of treatments of PraziPro for internal parasites during TTM.
Not sure I'd use the sink. You'll loose the use of the sink all the time you are TTMing.
For me 5 gal. buckets work great. I like to start with smallest specimens available so the size is perfect. I have two heaters set to the same temperature, a bag of cheap air stones and some airline tubing. Easy peezy!
I transfer using a small colander. Seems much less stress than a net. It's really easy to clean the buckets and they are cheap.
If you are doing fish that like substrate (wrasse) just put a small container of sand in the bucket.
If you are QTing larger fish a couple of 10 or 20 gal. tanks would work. Certainly inexpensive at a Petco $1/gal sale.
After TTM I QT for another 3-5 weeks to let the fish recover from it's long journey from reef to our tanks. This is a great time to get them trained to the food you want to feed, make sure they are eating and let them regain weight they lost in transit.

Yes inverts and corals can transmit Ich. Anything wet can. To QT them keep in a fish free environment for weeks. This is also a great time to make sure they don't have any pests specific to them or hitchhikers you don't want.

Unread 08/11/2020, 06:36 AM   #7
TravelerBob
Registered Member

John - thank you for the very thorough reply. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. Yes, I definitely plan to do the TTM, regardless of what I am being told. I think it will definitely work and keep ich out of the tank. Yes, I guess anything else that is "live" but not fish would benefit from the quarantine cycle since ich needs an actual "fish host", correct? By keeping them in quarantine away from fish for a period of time (what time period is best?) they will lose their ich hosts and become ich free --- correct? Thank you again!! appreciate it. Bob

Unread 08/17/2020, 01:35 PM   #8
Hellsangelbx
Registered Member

Hi @TravelerBob how much did Planet Aquarium charged you for the tank?

Hellsangelbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2020, 11:41 PM   #9
jeremy007
Registered Member

Ttm has limited success with velvet. I think the tanks need to be 10ft apart to reduce contamination.

jeremy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2020, 12:58 PM   #10
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelerBob View Post
Yes, I guess anything else that is "live" but not fish would benefit from the quarantine cycle since ich needs an actual "fish host", correct? By keeping them in quarantine away from fish for a period of time (what time period is best?) they will lose their ich hosts and become ich free --- correct? Thank you again!! appreciate it. Bob
Sorry for the late reply!
I haven't looked up the recommended time but I usually wait a couple of weeks. This gives me time to check corals for their pests. A couple of coral dips during this time is also worthwhile. Can't be too safe.