Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/04/2004, 07:55 PM   #26
Clownen
Registered Member

I have found clowns to be really cute. My favorite is the Percula.
Jhardman, Can you sell me some perculas and how much? Possible to do over night shipping?
lmk, I really want a nemo or 2 in my tank!!! Got an anemony waiting for them.

kyle

Clownen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/05/2004, 12:31 PM   #27
Clownen
Registered Member

Also, as most nets can be painfull, and if a net is your last resort, its a smart Idea to use a mesh shrimp net. These nets are soft in texture, and will be less painfull for your clown.

Clownen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2004, 10:41 AM   #28
Foster
Premium Member

I don't know what fantasyland you guys buy these clowns at, that you can hand feed, herd into a container, grab with your hands, scratch there heads, rub there bellies but every clown I have had (every fish for that matter) becomes very concerned whenever a net, hand, or container is present.....including the 2 GSMs I'm trying to remove right now. HELP!

I have a RBTA that they live in, but the clowns have dug up most of the sand under my LR, and the anemone has moved to the underside of the LR, I cant really get my hand in the anemone to grab them at night, they run from the net, container, and my hand.

My tank is 225, and I have over 350lbs of LR, so it is a pain chasing them around the tank. I have tried baiting a clear container, (I think I actually heard them laugh at me ), I tried the night attack, to no luck, as soon as I get my hand down there, they are awake, and just cruise into the rockwork and wait for me to give up.

I guess my last resort, is to try to remove the anemone to an open area, so I can snatch them up.

What is the technique to get the anemones foot off LR?? I really don't want to have to do this, but it is either this, or I make a small harpoon out of rubber bands, and bamboo skewers, to which I will probably shoot my eye out

Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2004, 10:58 AM   #29
bgi
Registered Member

For me, I got TR ocellaris clowns. They come running up for a snack any time I get close to the tank. I can hand feed them. Way back when I had one in the JBJ 12 gallon with an orchid dottyback, if I forgot to feed them, the clown would jump into the back sump area. I assume the dottyback was the cause. To get him out, I'd place a small plastic cup in the sump - he'd jump right in expecting me to dump him back in the main tank, then look for a snack. Your clowns are obviously uncultured, untrained heathens.

I've read here that aiming a powerhead at an anemone's foot will encourage it to let go. I've never tried it. I wouldn't want to pull one off.

bgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2004, 04:48 AM   #30
Hound
Registered Member

this method works with even damsels ...dont feed for a few days...put some good smelly food in a net against the current so it stays to the back of the net and so the net is fully open and not bunched and wait for the fish to creep up and grab the food ....got my PITA damsel in 5 minutes and i agree wish i could find friendly fish that let me hand feed ...all the fish ive ever had hides in sec as soon as THE HAND comes in

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon reef,60 lbs live rock..30 lbs live sand, Overflow to a 20 gallon sump...cpr protein skimmer 3 powerheads maxi 600's and 1200
Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2004, 12:56 AM   #31
p0tpie
Moved On

i find that sucking them up with a syphon is very easy but will probably also kill them

p0tpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2004, 11:10 PM   #32
matt the fiddler
Registered Member

that depends on the size of your siphon. 2" would work

has anyone resorted to slurp guns?

matt the fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2004, 06:58 AM   #33
Rod Buehler
Registered Member

I used to use slupe guns (turkey baster) to get baby banggai out of the main reef. Worked well.

Current Tank Info: many
Rod Buehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2004, 10:54 AM   #34
Foster
Premium Member

Update on my GSM. After trying everything I could think of and read. Nothing worked. I resulted back to the only way I know how to get fish out of water. 2lb line w/ a size 22 barbless hook. I fished out both GSM in less than 3 minutes uninjured. They both lived in my fuge for 2 weeks before I got rid of them.

Unread 12/21/2004, 02:24 PM   #35
matt the fiddler
Registered Member

that has to be my fav method to read about

matt the fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2004, 02:42 PM   #36
Foster
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by matt the fiddler
that has to be my fav method to read about
They are fighter

The hardest part was trying to keep the other fish from snatching up the hook. Both of my GSM were in an RBTA, and the RBTA kept grabbing the fishing line when it would touched its feeler.

The second clown went after the hook with no bait on it.

Unread 02/13/2005, 08:09 PM   #37
jwedehase
Registered Member

I just had a success story I thought I'd share. I read all these ideas, but none worked. My tomato clown is a runner, and a world class one, at that. It darts into its host if I even enter the room. As soon as anything foreign entered the water, it was out of sight, hiding in places I didn't even know it fit into.

Luckily, he hosts in a xenia, which is easily moved... even INTO a specimen box. It took him about 4 hours to get used to the idea, especially after I had stressed him with the whole net episode, but it worked. With the host inside the specimen box, which was on the sand bed, he eventually made his way into the box, as well.

jwedehase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/15/2005, 01:33 AM   #38
rtcpenguin
Registered Member

What a silly clown. Great pic.

rtcpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2005, 05:15 PM   #39
markcasto
Registered Member

I use a small sheet of glass to move them along where I can herd them into an acrylic box 5x5 I think clear is best and nets are just highly suspect!

markcasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2005, 05:39 PM   #40
Fursphere
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rtcpenguin
What a silly clown. Great pic.
What clown isn't silly?

Fursphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2005, 03:47 PM   #41
kayl
Registered Member

I like to do a variation on the specimen box- I use bags like from the LFS...

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon Oceanic, 2 Osc. Clowns, 2 Melanarus Wrasses, 2 Bangai Cardinals, 1 Yellow Watchman Goby, 1 Yellow Tang
kayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2005, 04:27 AM   #42
MJI
Registered Member

Having tried all the methods I'm still out of luck.

I have a very bullyish clarkii, who at the same time is very skittish, and in the months I've had her i hae never been able to get her to hand feed.

Can anyone suggest any more tricks for catching. Her BTA is at the back of the tank, foot under a rook, and yu can guess what happens there - she darts right under there too.

Im stuck, and this bully is beating up anything she can.

Current Tank Info: Tankless :(
MJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2005, 10:36 AM   #43
kayl
Registered Member

tried it @ night yet?

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon Oceanic, 2 Osc. Clowns, 2 Melanarus Wrasses, 2 Bangai Cardinals, 1 Yellow Watchman Goby, 1 Yellow Tang
Unread 04/15/2005, 10:41 AM   #44
MJI
Registered Member

Yup, sleeps in nem, base of back of tank!!

(

Current Tank Info: Tankless :(
MJI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2005, 10:44 AM   #45
kayl
Registered Member

did you try not feeding her for a few days? I've NEVER seen a fish that could resist coming to the top after not being fed for 3 or 4 days...

Unread 04/19/2005, 11:20 PM   #46
TheyCallMeFishy
Registered Member

oops, i just netted my marron yesterday and it did get caught in her gills, althought i originanly thought she was bighting on to it.

Current Tank Info: 50 Gal Mixed Reef
TheyCallMeFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/02/2005, 10:35 AM   #47
r 3lusive
Registered Member

yeah i think you should get the biggest mesh net possible turn off or dim the lights and herd it into a corner and scoop him up from underneath has always been the easiest for me

Unread 06/03/2005, 06:54 PM   #48
Meezer
Registered Member

Great advice, all of it! Sincere thanks from a newbie!

The Fish Watchers:
3 Siamese cats, 1 AmStaff dog, 1 German Shepherd Dog (Czech lines), 2 Guinea Pigs

Current Tank Info: 10-gal nano; 75-gal, FOWLR
Meezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2005, 08:22 PM   #49
saltkreep
Premium Member

I have never had a problem. Do you use a bayster for feeding? clown fish will come right to the tip for feeding. get a net breeder and use only the top frame and net. tie fishing line to all four corners with a single line out of the top of the tank. you will need to turn off all pumps. try to keep the net about mid way from the top. as long as you can get the clown to the bayster thats over the net, YOU GOTTUM!!! this has worked for me many times. hawks,clowns,damsels! GOOD LUCK

saltkreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2005, 12:21 PM   #50
ReeferJones
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by platapus
Update on my GSM. After trying everything I could think of and read. Nothing worked. I resulted back to the only way I know how to get fish out of water. 2lb line w/ a size 22 barbless hook. I fished out both GSM in less than 3 minutes uninjured. They both lived in my fuge for 2 weeks before I got rid of them.
I am seriously about to do this, I can't get this bastard clarkii out.

ReeferJones is offline   Reply With Quote