Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2012, 12:50 PM   #5076
Atmoz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleof6 View Post
Use the hole already drilled as a return? Then adjust your hole centers for the three drains.
Hmzzz, the return wasn't meant to be at that side of the tank...
But I can always change my plans. Maybe I should think about this a day or so

Quote:
Distance A: 1" or more, 1.25". 1.5" ......
Thanks!!

Quote:
Bending acrylic can be done, but IME is not as easy as they make it look ( i gave up acrylic usage a long time ago )
I didn't know how to write "plexiglass" (my English auto-correct function doesn't know the word either so I didn't know if you even know that word ) So therefore I wrote "acrylic". Plexiglass (looks very similar to acrylic) is very good bendable. I made this "machine" what makes this an easy task

Regards,

Atmoz

Atmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2012, 01:11 PM   #5077
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmoz View Post
Hmzzz, the return wasn't meant to be at that side of the tank...
But I can always change my plans. Maybe I should think about this a day or so

Thanks!!

I didn't know how to write "plexiglass" (my English auto-correct function doesn't know the word either so I didn't know if you even know that word ) So therefore I wrote "acrylic". Plexiglass (looks very similar to acrylic) is very good bendable. I made this "machine" what makes this an easy task

Regards,

Atmoz
"Plexiglass" is a generic term for acrylic. They are the same material. Plexiglas is a brand name for acrylic as is Acrylite, Polycast etc.

If you know how to bend acrylic, and have done it often, it is an easy process.

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 01:30 AM   #5078
Atmoz
Registered Member

Maybe this is better for drilling my last 2 holes:

(tank is standing at his side)

Hole (1) --> already drilled hole 2" from top of tank (open channel pipe)
Hole (2) --> same height as hole 1 (full siphon pipe)
Hole (3) --> much lower hole 3.5" from top of tank (emergency pipe)

The blue line is the bottom of the overflow weir.

Should this be better? Because as I mention before, I can always extend the 2 channel pipes downwards if needed. So therefore Hole (2) at the same height as Hole (1)? Is that a good idea?

Thanks in advance / kind regards,

Atmoz

Atmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 09:56 AM   #5079
dwolson2
Registered Member

Uncle,
If my siphon is low enough(which I believe it is) I should then be able to turn my open into a siphon before the dry takes effect correct?
Would this be better than dry first then open? The reason I ask, is because in another thread you said its best to keep the dry, dry, because you don't want anything to go in there and block it. Thanks... They should change your name from uncleof6 to "Mr.Plumb-yer-tank".

Current Tank Info: 220 in progress
dwolson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 10:10 AM   #5080
budster.stig1
Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegwell View Post
Hey All,

I too am about to drop off my template to the LFS for drilling of a new tank...."D" day so to say.

Needless to say, it needs to be right!

I had a general DIY thread asking for review and got some good feedback and made changes.

Thought I'd ask for final review in this thread since most folks here are real close and many experienced with the process.

Uncle - I didn't end up with your exact measurement, but I'm close at 2 3/4" from top edge of tank.

Unless I hear otherwise, I'm keeping the siphon hole a 1/4" lower than the other two. Someone mentioned it wasn't necessary but I see it as it couldn't hurt when re-starting. I've got a few inches of hortizontal to travle before the first Tee.

Anyway, template attached. Flow is expaected at 700-900 and I'll be at 1" pipes and the sump on the other side of the back wall immediately below the bottom edge of the display (on its own stand).
For what it's worth, I just fired up my new tank with the B/A overflow and it works exactly as advertised. I did place my syphon hole 1/4" below the other two holes and I put a T with a threaded plug right above the water line. I open the plug during start-up and replace the plug after all the air has purged, works like a champ, my OF balances almost immediately.

Just for what it's worth," I am not a Professional, and I never try this at home"!!!..............................Budster

Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it!

Current Tank Info: 210g Miracles "Starphire" In-Wall, 340g total system, RO Skimmer, Maxspect Razor LED's, Mixed Reef.
budster.stig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 10:49 AM   #5081
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Why would you go through the trouble of using the "plug" to purge the air. The system should (must) work without human intervention. Setup properly, the air will pruge itself

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 10:51 AM   #5082
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolson2 View Post
Uncle,
If my siphon is low enough(which I believe it is) I should then be able to turn my open into a siphon before the dry takes effect correct?
Would this be better than dry first then open? The reason I ask, is because in another thread you said its best to keep the dry, dry, because you don't want anything to go in there and block it. Thanks... They should change your name from uncleof6 to "Mr.Plumb-yer-tank".
In high flow sytems, the "dry" emergency pipe my kick in while the siphon purges air. This is expected and not a problem

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 11:22 AM   #5083
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolson2 View Post
Uncle,
I can't change my name, I have a bad reputation to maintain....

Unread 09/29/2012, 07:39 PM   #5084
rxnet
Registered Member

ok..unique situation and could really use your help as I'm a newbie but willing to learn...I've attached 2 drawings of a 100g rectangular acrylic tank I plan on purchasing to place on a half-wall that will be seen from both sides from 2 rooms. I like the idea of the overflow system you have designed but is it possible to do with the design plan I have shown? I do plan on leaving a space between the tank and the regular wall allowing room for the plumbing and then just box it in to be hidden from sight. The questions I have are:

1. Will the overflow be enough placing it in the width-end of the tank?

2. Not sure how I would plumb to the sump which will be on the floor at the bottom of the sidewall (not a straight run as the halfwall shelfplate will be there)

any help would be appreciated!!

thx!!

sorry images didnt load right..geeez

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Last edited by rxnet; 09/29/2012 at 08:03 PM.
rxnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2012, 09:40 PM   #5085
budster.stig1
Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post
Why would you go through the trouble of using the "plug" to purge the air. The system should (must) work without human intervention. Setup properly, the air will pruge itself
Yes Bean it will start on it's own as advertised, however it seems to me that if the air does not have to "fight" it's way through the 1" of water (the reason I've assumed you keep it close to the surface), the purge will be quicker with less resistance, and it's hardly alot of trouble. I had read about a few who had problems starting the syphon, I took these steps to try to avoid that. I suppose in hind sight they may have not been necessary, however I didn't know that then. You see I am no Pro and I would never try this at home .............Budster

Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it!

Current Tank Info: 210g Miracles "Starphire" In-Wall, 340g total system, RO Skimmer, Maxspect Razor LED's, Mixed Reef.
Unread 09/29/2012, 11:19 PM   #5086
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxnet View Post
ok..unique situation and could really use your help as I'm a newbie but willing to learn...I've attached 2 drawings of a 100g rectangular acrylic tank I plan on purchasing to place on a half-wall that will be seen from both sides from 2 rooms. I like the idea of the overflow system you have designed but is it possible to do with the design plan I have shown? I do plan on leaving a space between the tank and the regular wall allowing room for the plumbing and then just box it in to be hidden from sight. The questions I have are:

1. Will the overflow be enough placing it in the width-end of the tank?

2. Not sure how I would plumb to the sump which will be on the floor at the bottom of the sidewall (not a straight run as the halfwall shelfplate will be there)

any help would be appreciated!!

thx!!

sorry images didnt load right..geeez

Attachment 205426

Attachment 205427
NO they did not --upload them to photobucket (you need a free account) and copy the html code giving the location of the photo on photobucket, paste in in your post, and the pictures will appear in your post.

I get the idea you are curious about however. The drain system/overflow will work fine on the end of the tank, rather than the back. One problem I have heard of, is the far end of the tank, not renewing the surface, ie, the oil slick is remaining. This can be addressed with a power head moving water toward the overflow end of the tank, or placing the return at the far end of the tank (opposite the overflow.)

Unread 09/30/2012, 08:21 AM   #5087
TylerHaworth
Registered Member

Using 1" bulkheads, is a 12" wide overflow box wide enough to house all three drains?

TylerHaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2012, 08:23 AM   #5088
GROSSR
Registered Member

AMAZING, Simply Amazing. I just finished my setup. After a bit of really loud gurgling I am can only hear the humm of the pump.

I have a 46 bow. Busted one tank drilling it. I went with a eheim 1260 with a 1 inch fittings rather than 1.5. I tried the 1.5, and their size just over took the tank. I bet I could go down to 3/4 as well.

Just finished filling it with water about 1 hour ago and waiting on something to happen. Super super silent.

I have the siphon closed about 25%.

Here is a question... the depth of my c2c is 5 inches and width is 3.5 and 30inches long. The water is only about 1inch deep, is that normal????

Bean, thanks for this really smart, great mod.

rich

TylerHaworth : I think it might depend on its location. Reading all the notes on hole locations, drilling near the edge is of the greatest concern. I have 2 of my holes spaced 5 inches on center. So in theory I could put another another 5 inches on center, only requiring 10 inches, and I was a bit concerned, so I provided a bit more distance. However, if one of those holes is near the edge you might need some more room.

Last edited by GROSSR; 09/30/2012 at 08:35 AM.
GROSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2012, 08:58 AM   #5089
TylerHaworth
Registered Member

This is gonna be on a four foot tank...

(6" of glass) [(Gap)(Bulkhead1)(Gap)(Bulkhead2)(Gap)(Bulkhead3)(Gap)] (Remainder of 48")

The 45mm holes are 1.77" and I'd use a 2" gap from edge of hole to edge of hole and 3/4" between edge of hole and wall of box on the ends...

[.75+1.77+2+1.77+2+1.77+.75] = 10.81 = Within 12" of the box

Too close? Dangerous? Fine?

Unread 09/30/2012, 12:12 PM   #5090
GROSSR
Registered Member

With that much room, why do you need to be 12"? There might be some design considerations. I used the following post.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1772359

Also found an advantage to a C2C that leaks. As the tank was filling up, I noticed water coming into a couple of small spots where the Weldon didn't quite flow. Water was leaking in, very slowly. At first I was concerned but was also concerned about water pressure on the outside of the C2C overflow. With water gently leaking in, it was not so much of a concern.

Now I have to drain the tank and I am trying to figure out how to get all the water out, towel, cups, etc,,I noticed it leaked out. So while not exactly a perfect seam, having a tiny leak does have its advantages.

rich

Unread 09/30/2012, 01:04 PM   #5091
rxnet
Registered Member

Heres the rough drawing.. Sorry.. Best i could do from work. Let me know ur thoughts. Also placing the return at the opposite end of the overflow would be tough to conceal being on the half wall. As you can see trying to get the three siphons to the other side of the wall also presents a problem as they need to be plumbed sideways . Any ideas appreciated!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Last edited by Misled; 11/01/2017 at 06:46 PM.
Unread 09/30/2012, 02:12 PM   #5092
TylerHaworth
Registered Member

I just want it to be as minimal in tank footprint as possible.

Unread 09/30/2012, 03:53 PM   #5093
rxnet
Registered Member

This is what i was thinking but not sure it would work and be quiet

Last edited by Misled; 11/01/2017 at 06:47 PM.
Unread 10/01/2012, 07:28 AM   #5094
GROSSR
Registered Member

As I said, I tested my overflow 30" and it doesn't make a sound. To help you out, I tilted the stand so about 14 or so inches of the C2C only overflowed. Being I tilted the tank, the lowest end of the C2C had a bit more water than the other end. It made some noise of water flowing. The noise was absolutely minimal. If I could have had an even flow of water over the C2C I bet it would be silent. So at the lowest end of the C2C water was about 1/2" deep and the other end just getting over the C2c.

My daughter who has incredible hearing said she was amazed at how quiet it was when tilted and said she heard next to nothing when the tank was level, she did hear the hum of the pump.

rich

Unread 10/01/2012, 03:48 PM   #5095
budster.stig1
Broncoholic

Quote:
This is what i was thinking but not sure it would work and be quiet

Check this out, silent and syphon starts immediately. All angles are 45's
with a 36" drop..........................Budster

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (39.3 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (57.5 KB, 300 views)

Unread 10/01/2012, 05:40 PM   #5096
rxnet
Registered Member

looks like what I need to do...thanks!! Any ideas on hiding the return...the aquarium will be rimless acrylic...sounds like I need to get the return on the opposite end but not sure how to do it without looking like ***. And how bad would it be to place on the same side of the overflow?

thx!

Unread 10/01/2012, 07:37 PM   #5097
budster.stig1
Broncoholic

Quote:
looks like what I need to do...thanks!! Any ideas on hiding the return...the aquarium will be rimless acrylic...sounds like I need to get the return on the opposite end but not sure how to do it without looking like ***. And how bad would it be to place on the same side of the overflow?

thx!

Same side for sure, easliy hidden with the other pipes. Place as far into one corner as possible, create flow around the tank and back to the OF. You should use power heads for the bulk of your movement anyway......Budster

Unread 10/07/2012, 10:02 AM   #5098
ohioreef71
Registered Member

I have my semi coast to coast built and it turned out great very quiet and moves a ton of water. But I am having trouble finding something to secure the air line at the right level in the overflow box. Whats everybody using?

ohioreef71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2012, 07:11 AM   #5099
Dangerwill
Registered Member

This is an awesome and inspiring thread. It took me a week to get through it all. I am working on a project tank right now. It is a 150 long and is as of yet undrilled. I am going to drill this weekend. I am planning for a 48 inch semi coast to coast

I would love to get some expert advice on hole size and drill height. The tank is 29 high x 72 long. This is the first time I am drilling a tank and really dont want to mess it up. What do you guys recommend?

Dangerwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/08/2012, 07:12 AM   #5100
Dangerwill
Registered Member

This is an awesome and inspiring thread. It took me a week to get through it all. I am working on a project tank right now. It is a 150 long and is as of yet undrilled. I am going to drill this weekend. I am planning for a 48 inch semi coast to coast

I would love to get some expert advice on hole size and drill height. The tank is 29 high x 72 long. This is the first time I am drilling a tank and really dont want to mess it up. What do you guys recommend?

Dangerwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beananimal, plumbing