Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Hydor USA
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/04/2016, 07:56 AM   #1
hydor_italy
Registered Member

Temperature and Marine Aquarium

What is the right temperature in aquarium? In our vision it has to be the same of the sea. But in the last years this assumption is not so valid. Our researches have found out that in the coral's sea we have an average temperature between 26 to 28 C degrees. With minimum of 21 and maximum of 30. Anyway corals can adapt themselves to high temperature, but they need time, so we can have 29°C in the summer if we have 27 during all year long. As the increasing of electric bill, in the winter we have to adapt our temperature to less degrees, so 29 is not an option now. We suggest to follow the Nature, so don’t go over 28 if you can.
But, just to speak, what’s happen when the temperature rise up? The content of oxygen goes down, and this is a problem for every living being. But the methabolism rises up, and this brings more active fish and more beautiful colors. The strange is more methabolism needs more oxygen so it can be a nightmare, more demand but less oxygen in the water. So if the temperature rises up too much, the animals begin to suffer. What do you think? What are your strategies about? What's is your preferred temperature?

Unread 09/29/2016, 02:42 AM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I have my main system on a seasonal cycle with 24 the lowest in the winter and 27 the highest in the summer. This is for once to simulate the natural seasonal changes, but also to save some energy.

As for what extreme temperatures fish and inverts can handle - I've seen shallow tide pools on the North Sea cost that were blasted by the sun and outright hot (30 °C wouldn't be surprising), yet the fish and shrimp in there didn't show the slightest inconvenience. Mind that these were temperate-cold species.
I think the temperature alone is not always the issue but rather the oxygen depletion it may cause. Though if there is enough surface area to ensure a sufficient gas exchange, the animals may very well hande temperatures well above their comfort level.

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2016, 12:44 PM   #3
hydor_italy
Registered Member

Hi ThRoewer, thanks for your point of view.

Unread 09/29/2016, 02:35 PM   #4
ThRoewer
Registered Member

BTW, I also have a Sea of Cortez/Tropical East Pacific tank, and that one I pretty much keep at room temperature. Especially the Sea of Cortez has very defined seasons with temperatures going as high as 30 °C at the end of summer, and as low as 16 °C at the end of winter. It in this regard even more extreme than the most of the Mediterranean Sea.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2017, 12:32 AM   #5
gentledental4u
Registered Member

Hydor heaters are junk.

gentledental4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 10:23 AM   #6
hydor_italy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentledental4u View Post
Hydor heaters are junk.
As we think our heaters are a very great products, we will be happy to know your experience with that heaters.

Unread 07/02/2019, 10:41 AM   #7
gentledental4u
Registered Member

I just told you my experience. They are JUNK!! they literally fall apart after use!!!!! Shame on you Hydor. Hypoor is more like it!!

gentledental4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2019, 05:39 PM   #8
hydor_italy
Registered Member

I don't see your experience, in this case it will be impossible to help you. We are sorry you have trouble with our products, this is not the feedback we receive from our customers.

Unread 02/01/2020, 09:24 PM   #9
vessxpress1
Premium Member

All heaters are suspect. It’s probably the weakest link in the hobby. Some people throw them away and get new every year just to be safe. Personally if I had one that was working ok I’d hang onto it and not want to risk getting a dud. BRS just came out with a super nice heater and controller. All heaters run on a relay that activates hundreds maybe thousands of times a day. What does a heater cost? $30 to $80 for a good one? And people expect a mechanical product running this much at high temp in this price range to last forever?

vessxpress1 is offline   Reply With Quote