Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Coral of the Week Series
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2001, 08:22 PM   #1
shred5
Registered Member

week #10 coral of the week {turbinaria}. This coral is pictured on page 137 of the book Corals a quick reference guide by Julian Sprung.

Every week I will post a new coral and I want you to post everything you know about this particular coral. Everything from common names, how hardy they are, water temp, water flow, lighting, water parameters, fraging, spawning, related corals, scientific names, feeding, best ways to ship, etc. Post your pictures for identification. Please tell us about your system so others can duplicate your success. Also email me for request on which corals you would like to see in this section.

Dave

Unread 01/31/2001, 10:16 PM   #2
Mark
Premium Member

Cool, I love these corals of the week series. Here's a pic of my T. reniformis.

This is an old pic of when I had first purchased it. It has overgrown the broken edges. It definitely does not mind being a couple inches directly below my iwasakis. I want a peltata as well, but there is no more room in my tank.

TOTM March 2001

Current Tank Info: 225g stony reef, 38g softie
Unread 01/31/2001, 10:20 PM   #3
Ironreef
Premium Member

do they frag like sps?

Unread 01/31/2001, 10:29 PM   #4
0dan0
Registered Member

This coral is pretty hardy, and my clown goby likes it a lot. Not much else I can say about it, but its a cool coral.

-Dan

[Edited by 0dan0 on 01-31-2001 at 10:47 PM]

Unread 01/31/2001, 10:36 PM   #5
Canadian
Premium Member

Here's a pic of my T. peltata. I wasn't sure if this is supposed to be open to all Turbinaria sp. or just T. reniformis but I thought I'd post a pic anyway. The title only says Turbinaria.

These things grow like mad! Give 'em lots of calcium, decent water flow and medium lighting and they take off! Mine has just about doubled in size in just under a year. And they're tough as nails to boot!

[Edited by Canadian on 02-01-2001 at 01:03 PM]

--- "mens sana in corpore sano" ---

Current Tank Info: SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless with Beananimal Overflow | 20 g Sump | Bubble King Mini 160 | Biopellets in TLF Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO | Vortech MP20 | Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser
Unread 01/31/2001, 10:49 PM   #6
Callie
Registered Member

Here's one of my Turbinaria peltata. This one is about 3" across. I have another the same color about 6" across and 4" deep, and one about 4" X 3" that is a green color.
The one pictured are in my 80 gal, 100# LR, Aragonite fine and sugar size, Aqua C Remora Pro skimmer, no sump, no other filtration, 3 powerheads, 4 X 96 watt PC, PH 8.0 - 8.2, alk 3.5, cal 400-420. Livestock= 1 Kole tang, 2 Ocellaris (pair), 1 Pink Skunk Clown, 1 Bicolor Blennie, 1 Red Firefish, 2 Banggai Cardinals (breeding pair), Cleaner Shrimp, 5 Peppermints, blue legged hermits, Turbo, Astrea, Trochus and Nassarius snails, 1 Blue Linkia star Large LTA anemone (16" across), Large BTA anemone (7" across) (Pink skunk plays in both). Corals = 2 Acros, 2 Turbinarias, Yellow polyp colony, a few assorted Zoanthid colonies, Hammer coral, Frogspawn coral, 3 Hydnophora, 8 Xenia (pulsing), 6 Lemnalia, 5 Sinularia, 1 Devil's Hand Leather, 1 Toadstool Leather, 1 Yellow Figi Leather, Cabbage coral, Montipora capricornis, Mycidium, Green button polyps, 4 Green Star polyp colonies, Caulastrea (30+ mouths), Tubipora, Frilly neon green mushrooms, Frilly purple mushrooms.

My LTA

Kathy

Unread 01/31/2001, 11:08 PM   #7
Deep Sixx
Registered Member

I have a T peltata in my 65g reef. It's about 4" across and is almost a perfect circle. I really like it... it's cool looking when all the polyps are open and gently swaying in the current.

It's about 10" underneath a 250w Iwasaki and seems to like the light. It doesn't, however, like strong current as it will close it's polyps up tight until the current is reduced. It also doesn't like high DOCs, my skimmer broke down a few weeks ago and the whole time it was out (about a week), the polyps were closed. As soon as I fixed the skimmer, the coral opened up again.

It likes to be fed and will accept finely chopped shrimp, squid and clam. It's difficult to feed as you have to target it with a turkey baster to get all the polyps, but it hates the strong current, so some patience is required.

I'd post a pic of mine, but frankly, my photography skills suck. I need a digital camera cause I'm sick of wasting film in trial and error photography. But mine looks a lot like Canadian's, except mine is a circle.

D6

Unread 01/31/2001, 11:41 PM   #8
Vins Fins
Registered Member

I do like these corals, cool shapes

Current Tank Info: main tank is 180 gal oceanic reef
Unread 01/31/2001, 11:47 PM   #9
Vins Fins
Registered Member

here is a pic of my cup coral, they sare very easy to keep

Current Tank Info: main tank is 180 gal oceanic reef
Unread 02/01/2001, 12:36 AM   #10
AkaSlyGuy
Premium Member

Here is a pic of mine. It is one of my favorite looking pieces. I have it close to the top of the water under 380 watts of VHO lighting. It knows when you put food in the tank because out of each of the little bumps comes little tiny hair like things and it will catch any little pieces of food that come into contact with it. Mine has a green sheen to it also. Very Cool

Joe

180g RR, SRO 3000-int skimmer w/neck cleaner, Avast Skimmer Locker, 2x Reefbreeders Proton32's, Apex Controller, Tunze ATO, BRS 6 stage Deluxe RO/DI, Ehiem 1262 return pump, Reef Crystals salt, 2-part
Unread 02/01/2001, 02:13 AM   #11
newkie
Premium Member

Actually I have a question about my scroll. I've noticed recently he doesn't look too happy. He seems to be accumulating a lot of debris (either that or I'm slowly losing tissue). I've attempted to move a powerhead to blow water right past him to alleviate the problem but I'm unsure if it will help due to the angle. I love the current location but I wonder if he is getting enough lighting. I have 2 175MH and 3VHOs, however he is in the lower half of the tank to the extreme side of the tank. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is a picture:

Unread 02/01/2001, 11:53 AM   #12
dnjan
Premium Member

I got my scrolling Tubinaria just after Christmas from Dr. Mac. Beautiful coral - darker brown than the picture Mark posted, with bright yellow polyps. Since all of Dr. Mac's corals are grown from frags he has made, fragging must definitely be possible. Perhaps Dr. Mac could post his experiences/advice with fragging the scrolling Tubinarias.

Unread 02/01/2001, 12:04 PM   #13
Baalz
Registered Member

dnjan, How large was the frag you got from Dr Mac?

Unread 02/02/2001, 11:50 AM   #14
dnjan
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Baalz
dnjan, How large was the frag you got from Dr Mac?
The scrolling Tubinaria frag was about 1-1/2" by 1-1/2" by 2-1/2", attached to a piece of corraline-covered Pacific live rock slightly larger than the coral itself.

Unread 02/02/2001, 12:45 PM   #15
bigtank
Premium Member

I have a orange-ish cup coral in my 70. It's about 5 or 6 inches in diameter and really cool when the polyps are out. Very easy to keep and will probably love the HQI that should come today(I hope to God).

Unread 02/02/2001, 08:15 PM   #16
Baalz
Registered Member

dnjan,
Yeah mine was smaller and I wasnt too impressed.. none of my frags were on coral encrusted rock like his website states.. but were on homemade-non coraline encrusted pieces.

Unread 02/02/2001, 08:55 PM   #17
Adrian
Registered Member

I have a small frag of the yellow and the brown scroll. I have only had them for about a month. I have both of them placed about 8" under my lights, 2 175 mh, and 2 110 actinics. The yellow one loves it, polyps are always expanded, but Im going to move the brown down a bit because I havent seen its polyps since its introduction. I am assuming it dosnt like as much light because it hasnt expanded and its so brown I would think its from deeper waters than the yellow. I cant wait until they start to grow in a scrolling pattern like the ones aboveRight now they are in the shape of big toe nails

Current Tank Info: 120 sps tank, 2 400 watt iwasakis, 2 110 watt actinic VHO, mag 18 on CL w/ 2 1" Sea swirls, 50 gal sump/refugium, ASM G3 skimmer, geo reactor.
Unread 02/03/2001, 05:04 AM   #18
Goby1Knoby
Registered Member

Hi All

This Coral of the Week post is GREAT !!!

OK. I Have a Tubinaria Reinformis.

Yes It requires the conditions that most other small polyp hard corals do. Good current,Alk,Lighting.

Regarding fragging, it is easy. I have 3/4 frags I took off my parent colony and all are doing well.

Original parent colony has grown quite a bit since introduction and has currently grown so as to touch a neighbouring Stylophora Pistillata colony.

Result: Tubinaria ( at point of contact only ) is losing battle, othewise this colony and its offspring frags are doing really well.

Since hooking up Calc.Reactor have noticed substntial increase in growth.

Colour is a BEAUTIFULL golden yellow/brown, and grows in beautifull contorted whorls.

Below is a pic. of one of the frags taken that is growing well.

Fragging technique. Now wait for it, this is the really technical bit.

Remove parent colony, snap off piece with pliers, epoxy to rock in good flow area and watch grow

Pic is a bit distant but frag is visible.

Have a Great W.end

Brian.

Unread 02/03/2001, 03:17 PM   #19
AkaSlyGuy
Premium Member

I would also like to add to my post above, that mine feed 95% of the time only at nite. During the day it did not attempt to feed much, but after the lights had been out for a while, it was ready to eat!! Hope this is not redundant information, I skimmed through the posts to see if this had been said, but I may have missed it.

Joe

180g RR, SRO 3000-int skimmer w/neck cleaner, Avast Skimmer Locker, 2x Reefbreeders Proton32's, Apex Controller, Tunze ATO, BRS 6 stage Deluxe RO/DI, Ehiem 1262 return pump, Reef Crystals salt, 2-part