Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Coral of the Week Series
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/04/2001, 07:16 PM   #1
shred5
Registered Member

Week #18 coral of the week {pachyseris} common name elephant skin coral. This coral is pictured on page 42 of the book the Corals a quick reference guide by Julian Sprung.

Every week I will post a new coral and I want you to post everything you know about this particular coral. Everything from common names, how hardy they are, water temp, water flow, lighting, water parameters, fraging, spawning, related corals, scientific names, feeding, best ways to ship, etc. Post your pictures for identification. Please tell us about your system so others can duplicate your success. Also email me for request on which corals you would like to see in this section.

Dave

Unread 04/05/2001, 06:14 AM   #2
smiller
Premium Member

I have a frag I got from Dr. Mac about two months ago. It is three inches tall with three small branches. It's about 3-4 inches wide and in the shape of a semi-circle. Mine has done well. It gives off an outstanding greenish glow under actinic. One of my favorites as it is so unusual.

The first (and I think only) one I have seen was in Sue Truett's tank. See tells me they are as slow growing as it gets.

I have it about 20" below and between 2-250 HQIs in med. alternating current. According to Dr. Mac these do not need intense lighting.

Unread 04/05/2001, 06:37 AM   #3
ATLANTIS
Premium Member

A very cool coral with some great polyp coloration...

I keep in low in the water column....

Unread 04/05/2001, 08:12 AM   #4
sculpin
10 & Over Club

I got two tiny frags of the green Pachyseris (approximately 3 mm x 1 cm each) about 4 months ago, which have grown to ~1 cm x 1.5 cm since that time. Definitely a slow grower but also pretty darned easy. Mine have a nice green color with green polyps under actinics.

Unread 04/05/2001, 10:21 AM   #5
Playfair
Premium Member

Have had one of these only since Dec00. It started off brown, but turned into a nice dull green during the first month.

I definitely second the slow growing comment!

I've noticed that it doesn't like to be handled, and touched areas will turn white for a few days. I have it placed a little lower than 1/2 way in the center of the tank. The current is enough to keep junk from settling on it.

Current Tank Info: 7 gal mini-bow