Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Protein Skimming & Filtration
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/28/1999, 09:14 PM   #1
ronl
Premium Member

Hi all,
I'm looking for a new skimmer for my 55 FOWLR and have narrowed it down to these two. I'm looking for any comments on experiences with either, both positive and negative. I also need to know the footprint size of the Turbofloater. The space I have in my sump is 7 1/2" x 9 1/2". Will the Turbofloater fit in this space? Jason at Premium Aquatics notes that the CPR SR4 has better quality construction and outperforms the Turbofloater. Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

Unread 12/31/1999, 12:43 AM   #2
BraveHeart
Registered Member

ronl,

I've run a Turbofloater 1000 for the last 4 or 5 months and really like it. I think it does a good job and it's been relatively easy to adjust. I don't have any experience with other skimmers, so I can't compare for you.

The bad news is that I don't think you have enough room. My Turbofloater is 21 inches high and takes approximatly 7 inches by 12 inches of sump floor space.

------------------
BraveHeart

Unread 12/31/1999, 10:58 AM   #3
ronl
Premium Member

Thanks for the info BraveHeart. I've heard a lot of good things about the T-1000. I was afraid it wouldn't fit in my sump though. I'm using an old wet/dry and I was going to put the skimmer in the section where the bio balls were, which is only 7 1/2" x 9 1/2". If I don't hear any good words about the SR4 I could modify my stand a little to fit a 20 long which could hold a T-1000. Any SR4 users out there with any comparisons?

Thanks,
Ron

Unread 12/31/1999, 03:34 PM   #4
Larry M
Moved On

Ron--Don't have personal experience with the Turbofloater, but it has a great reputation. I do have a CPR SR-4, it does a great job for me on my 75 gallon FO tank. It is kind of a tall bugger though, mine sits outside my stand. You need a minimum of 27" in order to remove the collection cup.

------------------
Larry M

My Personal Site, Northern Reef

Unread 12/31/1999, 08:16 PM   #5
ronl
Premium Member

Thanks Larry. I thought I remembered that you had the SR4 and liked it, but hated the SR2. The height is not a problem. I have about 32" under the stand. Anyone know the height needed for the T-1000? Any other comments on either of these skimmers? Anyone have experience with both of them that can offer a comparison?

Thanks,
Ron