Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/25/2017, 01:27 PM   #1
Chris Abbott
Registered Member

Am i even close? Whats our Alk swing?

So my current tank is aproaching a year old, but a substantial amount of my rock etc. came from a three year old mixed reef that was moved last summer, so im not concerned about tank age. nutrients are well controlled. I am trending towards more acros and have been monitoring chemistry much closer as of the last two months. My question is about alk swing, over the last two months my low is 8.1, max of 9.4, and average of 8.6. This is the first time i have ever attempted to control alk so closely and while it is getting much better as i get things dialed in Im curious what other experience. I read so much about how stabke peopel alk is, what is within reason? What am i shooting for?

Unread 04/25/2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Potatohead
Registered Member

I think the general consensus with acros is as stable as reasonably possible. If you have a doser or calcium reactor there's no reason why you can't keep it within .1 or .2 per day, or even better. If you ever need to raise it 1 dkh or something I'd probably do it over a week or more.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2017, 01:41 PM   #3
kissman
Registered Member

To me is seems a lot of people have no trouble. Last week I set up my 2 part dosing. Alk was 138ppm I bumped it to 153ppm. Sun it was back down to 139 so I hoped on BRS website figured out my dose and started dosing it. Within 24 hours it was back down to 139 so I added more time to my timer and I'll check it again today when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kissman is offline   Reply With Quote