Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Coral of the Week Series
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/12/2001, 08:22 AM   #26
flashover
Registered Member

I understood they needed a lot of light. Mine is at the top of the tank under 4-55w PC's with gentle current and has been doing great for over a year. Never tried to put it lower because it seemed happy where it was at. Went from 4 heads to 7. I do have to move it to seperate it every few months from a pearl bubble. They are both growing well and as they get bigger the both send out sweepers to sting the other when they feel they are in reach. I do have a xenia close to it but it has never bothered it so I assume it is not aggressive to everything.

Unread 01/12/2001, 08:56 AM   #27
Agu
Registered Member

Shred,

The mother colony has four or five main stalks and each stalk has three or four polyps. Would this be a defining trait for branching frogspawn vs being something else?

Agu

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Unread 01/12/2001, 09:46 AM   #28
shred5
Registered Member

Agu

My last post I was talking about the polyps not the skeleton. I am at work right now so I dont have any books but lets see if I can do this off the top of my head so dont quote my on any this. If its branching and not a vase type it is not e. Divisa. Now you have to look at the polyps. If the polyps are branching type then it is probably Euphyllia paradivisa. If the polyps are straight (tubular) with no branching it could be Euphyllia glabrescens like you said earlier. Off the top of my head right now I cant remember if the skeleton is branching on the Euphyllia glabrescens but I beleive it is and is commonly called the torch coral. I will check my facts when I get home tonight. By the way will I be meeting you feb 2-4 th. for Rons visit? I will be comming up with Niven and grafxguy.

Dave

Unread 01/12/2001, 10:36 AM   #29
signu459
Registered Member

I'll try again, any pointers on why mine might be doing so crappy?

Here are the vitals

75 gallon

2x250W Iwasaki Mh + 2x96W PC Actinic

2 MJ1200, 2 Rio 180's, 1 Minijet 909 and return from mag 7 for current.

All the vitals are in check - Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. Alk is around 10 dkh, CA 400+ ppm, Ph 8.3 Temp 83.

It went to expanding to about 10" in diameter. To barely expanding at all and turning a clear litle pink color from deep pink and green.

Again the forg spawn seemed to start heading down hill when I added the new lights going to the current setup from 4x96W PC. Also I have added alittle more current to the tank. the other thing I have notice is that there seems to a be alot of small buds on it. There are 7 major branches with each having 6-7 new bud coming from the sides of the branches. Could it be going through a reproduction period? Or possibley is it a temp issue?

Unread 01/12/2001, 10:36 AM   #30
DennisL
Registered Member

I had another frogspawn that I got two years that was doing great. Expanding, bushy, etc. Then my two Perc's decided to make it home:

The clowns had a great time, but the frogspawn started to decline after a couple months. It might have been an infection/bacteria that started in one polyp, but maybe that was stress-induced by the clowns ???? I did a page on it:
http://www.quikstor.com/reef/problems.html

Unread 01/12/2001, 10:45 AM   #31
Agu
Registered Member

Signu,

Most LPS prefer moderate to low flow and reduce expansion in high flow. I'm also starting to question if turbulence is an issue.

Agu

Current Tank Info: 30 gallon half cube and 5.5, both reef tanks
Unread 01/12/2001, 11:31 AM   #32
Gus Paz
Registered Member

I know I'll most likely get slapped for asking this, but I must. I have a 100gal with 220w in VHO's. Can I keep one these with this lighting, or do I need more?

Unread 01/12/2001, 05:48 PM   #33
shred5
Registered Member

signu459
Well How long have you had it under the metal halides. It is not uncommon for a coral to shrink up for a while when put under brighter lights. Its just trying to shade itself from the light but if the light is to strong for it you can burn the coral. I do find that this coral prefers a medium amount of light and low water flow. I know people who keep them under iwasakis and they do well but I think they look much better under lesser amounts of light. Try moving it lower in the tank if you can.

Gus Paz
Yea I think that might not be enough light. I had a 75 with 6 40 watt fluorescents on it. And mine grew pretty fast. But that is 240 watts over a 75 gallon tank and I placed it high in the tank. There is one thing you could do but it might look a little stupid. place both lamps about 2 or 3 inches apart. And if you can place it high and directly beneath the lamps this would probably be ok. I would just add a couple of more lamps.

Dave

Unread 01/13/2001, 08:58 AM   #34
signu459
Registered Member

Shred & Agu,

Thanks for the response! Currently I have the Coral on the bottom far right of my 75. The lights have been on for around 6 weeks. I did do a adjustment to the new lights over the course of a month. I just moved the coral to the right side thinking it has less current, hopefully that will help. i I don't see improvement in the next few weeks will trade it in on something else. i have many other LPS that are doing great, Green open brain, Red lobed brain, Green lobed Brain, Torch, Hammer, galaxia, and more. I guess the frogspanw may not be my coral.