Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Fish of the Week Series
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/04/2000, 07:24 PM   #1
BrianD
Sir Brian The Lenient

LARRIETTUS MARASSI Minnesota trigger

A popular fish, this species can be kept by the most inexperienced reefers. Feeding is not a problem, since it rarely refuses any type of food. One should be wary of overfeeding it however, since a distended stomach may develop. Due to its large appetite, it is best kept in a large home. Some aquarists recommend only keeping it in acyrlic tanks, however, since there have been reports of it cracking glass tanks.

While normally a sociable fish, care should be given in selecting tank mates. The trigger is definitely the king of the tank. It will accept other tankmates, but if they attempt to question its dominance, it will normally chase the challenging fish until they are banished to a isolated part of the tank (which gives rise to its other common name, the hare trigger.)

Like other triggers and some puffers, the minnesota trigger likes to play contractor in the tank. It should be given plenty of pieces of rock and coral skeleton to play with, as it will frequently rearrange the rockwork in the tank. Increasinly larger tanks should be provided for the minnesota trigger, since it will almost appear to get bored if kept confined in the same tank for any length of time.

At this time, little is known about the mating habits of this species. It has never spawned in captivity, and has rarely been observed spawning in the wild. Differences between the male and female of the species are minute at best, and only experienced aquarists will be able to discern them.

This species is not available mail order, and is normally only found in select LFS in the northern United States.

Brian

Unread 09/04/2000, 07:26 PM   #2
BrianD
Sir Brian The Lenient

JUST KIDDING

DON"T BAN ME

Brian

Unread 09/04/2000, 07:29 PM   #3
jimhobbs
Moderator Emeritus

hehehe...likes to rearrange live rock; and becomes bored with tank size! ....WooHoo!

Unread 09/04/2000, 08:14 PM   #4
Q-ball
Premium Member

I've read that they are able to camoflage themselves, but only from the waist down

Q!!!

------------------
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into
nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes
easy." - Albert Einstein

Unread 09/04/2000, 08:41 PM   #5
Agu
Registered Member

Mn Trigger also tries to abandon the marine habitat, but is genetically unable to make the change. It has never met a power tool it didn't want to own, hence it's attraction to diy. As I recall, spawning behaviors and Vivaldi have some correlation, but you'll have to check the archives for further info. The camo from the waist down is a hoax, last time it moved a tank it was outfitted in the usual blue denim, thank god.

Unread 09/04/2000, 10:04 PM   #6
RobertK
Premium Member

I've heard that L. Marassi is one of the few marine fishes that drinks beer and watches football!

Unread 09/05/2000, 06:07 AM   #7
BrianD
Sir Brian The Lenient

Hey Agu, since you are from Minnesota I wondered if you have ever seen L. marassiin its natural habitat? Any insights on its spawning behaviour?

Unread 09/05/2000, 07:08 AM   #8
Dwayne
Protector of Diver Dan

In addition to the above, the L. Marassi predatory habits shold be discussed. While it is well known they do enjoy re-arranging rockwork, there seems to be a drive to become predatory in late seasons of the year. There has only been enough study done to identify the behavior and more is being done to as to the reason and advantages of this predatory activity.

HTH

Dwayne

Unread 09/05/2000, 08:55 AM   #9
Agu
Registered Member

"Minnesota Nice" upbringing prevents me from discussing spawning behaviors for this species, even if I knew anything.
As far as natural habitat I've noticed this species is always in close proximity to boxes of water. Of course I'm also close to boxes of water at the same time so I'm not sure if this means anything.
Also, Mn Triggers tend to "school" the second week of each month. Is this a behavior found in other regional subspecies?

Unread 09/05/2000, 11:47 AM   #10
dragon0121
Premium Member