Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/22/2006, 09:44 AM   #1
zenzence
Premium Member

Out of Control

Ok I have a long time addition of Anthellia polyps. Recently it has gotten completely out of control. I have excellent water quality which I would think is leading to the relentless sprawl of Anthellia Polyps. My rocks are covered with this stuff. I used to give it to my lps now I unfortunately have to remove it from my rocks or it is going to take my tank over its like a weed.

Any suggestions?
How can I control this stuff?

I am thinking of trying to eliminate it completely

Current Tank Info: 75 Innovative Marine /mixed Reef
zenzence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2006, 10:02 AM   #2
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Only way I ever was able to get rid of mine completely was when my tank crashed from a coral spawning. Seriously.

That stuff is just as bad a xiena, it just grows and grows, even after you scrape it off, it still grow back.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2006, 02:13 PM   #3
raoul
Registered Member

Mine doesn't like my gsp, it doesn't grow beyond them. In fact, the anthellia next to the gsp is still growing, it's just not attaching to anything and it is coming back towards itself. the gsp is now growing on top of that peice which is actually the bottom of the anthellia - Make sense? It's confusing without seeing a picture.
My clowns tried hosting in anthellia at one point too, the anthellia didn't like that either.

Current Tank Info: 37 gal dedicated RBTA/clown tank, 180 gal mixed reef
raoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2006, 02:21 PM   #4
Drewcipher
Premium Member

Easiest way if you don't mind doing it is too just remove the rock and put some new rock in.

I'm growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
Let those winds of time blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead--Jimmy Buffett

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon, Red Sea Max, setting up a 180
Drewcipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2006, 05:45 PM   #5
mr pink floyd
Moved On

what does it mean for a tank to crash, literally fall, or just somethign bad happen, causing everythign to die?

mr pink floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2006, 05:51 PM   #6
Drewcipher
Premium Member

The everything to die thing, but I suppose that falling would have a similar effect.

I'm growing older but not up
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck
Let those winds of time blow over my head
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead--Jimmy Buffett

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon, Red Sea Max, setting up a 180
Drewcipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2006, 07:28 PM   #7
zenzence
Premium Member

hmm I dont want to replace the rock for a few reasons its really nice rock with lots of purple and bright red. Second toooo expensive for me right now. I was thinking of just taking a really course brush and scrubing it off. That should buy me some time to figure out what I am going to do. Thanks for the info.

Current Tank Info: 75 Innovative Marine /mixed Reef
zenzence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2006, 07:37 PM   #8
The steven liu
Registered Member

I had a yellow polyp spreading problem similar to yours, what i did was biological, kids please don't try this at home, I moved my frog spawn next to my largest colony of yellow polyp and zapped all of them, and then the frogspawn moved on to another spot to zap more yellow polyps...

The steven liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2006, 07:38 PM   #9
The steven liu
Registered Member

BTW I have a very very, large frogspawn, just one head but it has a diameter of 6" when it's fully expanded.

The steven liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2006, 09:01 AM   #10
Crusty Old Shellback
MASVC OG

Quote:
Originally posted by mr pink floyd
what does it mean for a tank to crash, literally fall, or just somethign bad happen, causing everythign to die?
My "crash" was a biological one. My huge 7 year old bubble coral spawned in the tank. The spawning caused a massive drop in the oxygen level in the water. All of my fish died within 30 min's and a lot of my corals were struggling for several weeks. My skimmer went crazy foaming up a lot. Some of my corals didn't make it with the anthelia being one. My frogspawn was struggling for a while but ha snow come back in full force and doubled the number of heads it originally had in about 6 months time.

Best quote ever!
"This is a hobby for God sakes and so many people get so uptite. A "hobby" so it should be fun and not a cause to worry or go broke." Paul B

Current Tank Info: Tankless for a while. RIP my 8+ yr old pair of Naso tangs, 4 + yr old Moorish Idol
Crusty Old Shellback is offline   Reply With Quote