Reef Central Online Community
Premium Aquatics

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2017, 02:58 AM   #1
georgeclowney
Registered Member

Talking Maintaining nutrition in Seahorse

Hi, I volunteer at a "not for profit" marine education facility here in Western Australia.

We have some Seahorse on display which we have had for some time now. We were feeding them commerical brine shrimp, but have now moved on to wild caught Mysis shrimp enriched with cod liver oil and calcium.

Unfortunately, several of our Seahorse continue to develop a weak "snick" and are unable to ingest the Mysis shrimp.

Can anyone suggest how Seahorse may be kept such that weak snick does not affect them longterm?

Any advice would be gratefully received,

King Regards,

George.

georgeclowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Dan_P
Registered Member

I had the same thing happen to my pipefish caught in Long Island Sound. They quickly adapted to eating frozen mysis shrimp, but after about a year could no longer "suction" up the food. This doesn't help you but wanted to acknowledge that I observed the same thing but did not know what the problem was to Google possible solutions. I presume you thoroughly searched the internet.

Dan_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/01/2017, 02:48 PM   #3
bblumberg
Registered Member

I have no personal experience, but this looks like good information:
http://seahorse.com/forum/weak-snick-help

Current Tank Info: 150G mixed reef (6x Blue Acro 20K Pro COB LEDs, 4x 80W T5 supplement), 150g fw discus (T5 lighting), 110G fw Angelfish (DIY LED lighting), 4 x 40 g frag tanks (DIY LED).
bblumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/03/2017, 12:42 PM   #4
Southpaw007
Registered Member

Have you tried selcon or other additives. I have heard of getting a very high quality pellets and it worked. you could also try putting it in the mysis if they are not to small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Southpaw007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diseases, mysis, seahorse, snick