Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > DIY Archive
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/08/2000, 09:58 AM   #1
Mushroom Boy
Premium Member

Can oil based stains be safely used on a canopy over a reef? Is there something that can seal it properly to avoid anything leaching back into the system? Yes, I already used the oil based stain - by accident . Please tell me there's a way that I don't have to start over. Thanks!

Unread 02/08/2000, 12:26 PM   #2
KA
Registered Member

Any good quality polyurethane finish or marine grade varnish will seal the stain and the wood, and protect the finish. Let it dry thouroughly, though, until no fumes are present. HTH,
KA

Unread 02/08/2000, 12:27 PM   #3
Larry M
Moved On

Don't despair, just seal it with a good varnish. In fact, I think once the stain has cured totally it wouldn't cause a problem by itself, but for protection purposes a couple of coats of varnish is a good idea. I use oil based stains all the time, don't like the latex variety.

------------------
Larry M

See my tanks at Northern Reef

Unread 02/08/2000, 12:49 PM   #4
FOX
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I never varnished mine. Just let it dry for a week and put it on. Haven't had any problems.

FOX

------------------
angelfire.com/ak3/korysreef.htm

Unread 02/08/2000, 01:30 PM   #5
Mushroom Boy
Premium Member

Thanks folks. That's a big relief!

This may be slightly tangential, but are there any concerns when considering a paint for the inside of the canopy. Will Krylon white spray paint do? Thanks again!!

Paul.

Unread 02/08/2000, 06:33 PM   #6
Zmann
Registered Member

Dont use spray paint because it will take a s--t load of cans to cover wood because it will adsorb it to quickly I used sherwin willams marine paint which is an enamel, I brushed it on which works much better than spray. You should always put a protective coat over just stained wood not because of leaching but because if you dont it will eventually adsorb moisture and warp or just turn into a salt trap.