Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Disease Treatment Archive
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/21/2000, 03:12 PM   #1
newreefman1
Premium Member

I have a bottle of this and it says invert safe but not reef safe. Anyone used this for ich? I have a maroon clown with ich that I would like to treat..
Opinions/results?

Jason

Unread 07/21/2000, 03:15 PM   #2
Larry M
Moved On

Don't put it in your reef. As always, you should remove the fish to a quarantine tank and treat it there.

------------------
Larry M

Visit Reef Stores.com The liaison between hobbyists and on-line retailers.

See my tanks at Northern Reef

Unread 07/21/2000, 05:02 PM   #3
jimmy n
Registered Member

Hello,

I hate to disagree with Larry, but to treat ich in a tank you don't need to remove the fish to treat them. I have had great luck with soaking formula one in garlic and zoe as long as the fish are eating. I have never tried an ich "cure" medication in fear of it ruining my reef.

I had an ich breakout a month or two ago after transferring my tank. I fed and continue to feed garlic/zoe soaked food. I lost a couple fish before I started this regimen, but since have had nothing but success. I have a purple tang that has survived the epidemic and dominated the tank. Believing that I had overcome the stress of moving, I added another tang, but continued to feed the above food. The newcomber was hassled initially (another stressor) and developed ich.

He quickly ( in about 2-3 days) lost all signs of ich and is now thriving. I don't know if this is due to good conditions, garlic or vitamin enriched feeds, but I don't intend to find out....

JME

Jim

Unread 07/21/2000, 05:25 PM   #4
Larry M
Moved On

I have to agree with Jim, I disagree with Larry too. What I meant to say, was if you are going to medicate (copper, greenex, hyposalinity) for treatment, don't medicate in the reef. If you are going to use other types of treatment (like Selcon, Zoe, etc) then you can do that in your reef, which to me is preferrable to chasing them around and taking them out anyway.

Thanks for the rap on the knuckles, Jim.

------------------
Larry M

Visit Reef Stores.com The liaison between hobbyists and on-line retailers.

See my tanks at Northern Reef

Unread 07/21/2000, 05:29 PM   #5
newreefman1
Premium Member

Thanks guys,
I actually found a great reef safe cure for ich....wish I could remember the name...oh No ICh...liquid...reef safe and worked great..used it about 8 months ago...same problem....maroon clown with ich. No others as of yet but trying to catch my maroon would be too much of a challenege especially wiht my large carpet anemone in there(which would always grab the net) and I dont want to damage and animals...
I think I might try the no ich or maby the garlic treatment.....ill toss the greenex in el garbage.....dont know why i had it to begin with....no use

thanks for the input

jason

Unread 07/21/2000, 07:04 PM   #6
IFLY2HIGH
Premium Member

I have used that product with Polyp Corals, Coral Banded Shrimp, Hermits, Snails, Feather Dusters and an Anemone. Everything turned out just fine after treatment. It will turn an Anemone a blueish color. It will return to it's normal color though.

------------------
- Eric

My Homepage

Unread 07/21/2000, 09:29 PM   #7
TangHeaven
Registered Member

I have used it in my reef tank after my LFS told me that it is the only product he will use in his tank for ICK...I had great luck with it. Like someone else stated, my anemones turn a little green for a day...but they are fat and sassy......

------------------
Learn by experience-preferably other people's

Tami

Unread 07/21/2000, 09:53 PM   #8
Terry B
10 & Over Club

Don't ever put Greenex in your reef. I haven't found any treatment that is put in a reef to be consistantly reliable. Garlic seems to help keep Ich in check, but it is very questionable as an actual cure. With garlic you need to keep feeding it to the fish on a somewhat regular basis or the Ich can come back. Hyposanity or copper are the only sure cures and they cannot be used in the reef.
Best wishes,
Terry B

Unread 07/21/2000, 10:35 PM   #9
JohnL
RC Staff

Tagged for the archives

Unread 07/22/2000, 09:33 AM   #10
newreefman1
Premium Member

Well this is not the answer that I had hoped for...well..i didn't really get any answer

I posted this on AL too where I am a moderator. I got the same mix of answers.
I am just going to hold off from using it and toss it. No sense risking my reef. I might try infusing my food with garlic and seeing if that treatment works but I also will wait a day...sometimes the ich will go away off my clown...whether its just into recession or clears up from then tanks bacterias/cleanershrimps...I don't know..
Thanks for all of your input though. I appreciate it a bunch.

Jason

Unread 07/22/2000, 09:42 AM   #11
Phishmon
Registered Member

heh
that stuff is not reef safe
and VERY carcinogenic to humans send it to hazardous household wastes

ich is from stress
kinda like the common cold for fish

whether the stress is from the system another fish or chemical exposure Etc Etc

basically find the source fo the stress, fix it, and the fish will USUALLY fight it on its own

if the fish was exposed to chemicals then its immune system is shot to hades and needs to be "fixed"
that can take several months (depending on the chem, exposure time, and concentration of the chem)

feeding good foods with garlic or the selcon will help a lot
making your own foods and using HUFAs helps too

ich is a parasite and it really is not in its best interest to kill its host
most of the deaths occur to secondary infections (bacterial)
ich can bloom and suffocate the fish by covering its gills
that is the only way ich can directly kill a fish

HTH

(and I didnt even say the S word