Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/01/2010, 02:46 AM   #1
Fezzik
Registered Member

Noob question about Tunze

Hi. I know this is a noob question. I did a search but actually didnt get much so I thought I'd ask here. I've never messed with Tunze or Vortech. I figure i'm going to go for the TUnze and do the wave motion that i see on youtube. I see more vortechs on youtube make the waves like that. I know the TUnze and the VOrtech have a controller to make the waves motion in the tank, but then vortech's will still need to be attach to the controller and then to the apex someone was telling me and the Tunze just to the Apex controller and have same control as the Tunze wavemaker controller. Is this correct? WHich tunze do i need as well. There are so many numbers. I know the 6100 and 6101 are different by only the battery backup. and there is a 6105 now that has problems. So i could just get the Tunze pumps and not worry about the controller. COrrect?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWRti...eature=related
this is what i want to achieve
my tank is a 120g 4 ft long. Lots of corals and live rock. Wanting to do lots of sps later

Also another question about these pumps. Right now I have an automatic wavemaker that is attached to the sump pump that will pump one side for 20 seconds fromt eh overflow then 20 seconds on the other side. The one melev made for his closed loop system back in the day. I was thinking i may not need this with the TUnze. Also I have 1 korila and 2 mag 7 pumps in the tank as well. Will this eliminate the need for these and get flow throughout the tank. Sorry for the noob questions but that is why i'm here. (I hope this is coherent: I wrote this at 3am)

Last edited by Fezzik; 02/01/2010 at 03:08 AM.
Fezzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2010, 10:51 PM   #2
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

Pretty sure the 6105 replaced the 6100. The 6100s are discontinued. You need an Aquasurf to control them, at least for an ACIII. The Tunze forum can help decide which pumps you would want. I haven't heard about the issues you mention with the 6105s, but I suppose it's possible.

I just traded a Vortech for a couple more 6100s last weekend and bought a new Aquasurf I haven't got set up yet. I know you can make a similar wave with the AS and a couple 6100s in a 120, just like a wave box. I wasn't able to make a wave as big a the one in the Youtube video you linked with 1 Vortech. I don't know if the 120 is just enough more volume, or it was the fact I have more obstructions than that tank has. Another Vortech would have rocked my tank pretty good, but would have been another $300+ over what I spent.

Optionally two MP40w Vortechs will work together without an additional controller, or Tunze has their own stand alone controllers. I went this way because I wanted to integrate these with the rest of my control system. From everything I've been told this will offer some extra flexibility.

Tim

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
hllywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2010, 12:16 AM   #3
Fezzik
Registered Member

I thought the Apex was supposed to eleminate the need for the Aquasurf. Am I wrong?

Unread 02/02/2010, 12:23 AM   #4
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

I was just reading the Apex manual, yes, that's correct. Kenargo helped me out with the explaination too!

Tim

Current Tank Info: 210 AGA RR, Apex, 3x Kessil A360W & 2x 80W T5s, GEO 618 Ca Rx, BM220 CS2 skimmer, Tunze 6100s, 42" ETSS/AE Tech refugium/sump
Unread 02/02/2010, 10:52 AM   #5
Fezzik
Registered Member

So. I can just buy some 6105 and create the wave effect with pulses.
Can this be done with the vortech. This is the one i was a little scetchy on, or do you need the wireless controller as well.

Unread 02/02/2010, 11:08 AM   #6
hllywd
Premier World Traveler

The way I understood there will be an interface for the Vortech. Again, this is just what I've figured out from the manual, and Kenargo talking about a different subject, but I assume you need controll cords for the Tunzes that plug directly into the Apex.

Tim

Unread 02/12/2010, 07:59 AM   #7
schwaggs
Registered Member

The Apex has 4 variable voltage ports that can be used to control Tunze pumps or variable output ballasts. All you need in addition to the Apex controller is a Tunze cable, it has the appropriate connectors on it to plug in the Tunze pumps. You do not need an Aquasurf for the Apex, The Aquasurf is an accessory for the ACIII.

Vortech pump support was announced by Neptune in November with an estamated delivery at that time of Q1 2010. I have not heard if that date is going to hold (we are 1/2 way through Q1 ).

schwaggs is offline   Reply With Quote