Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself > The R3CA Project
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2011, 02:43 AM   #26
alexwbush
Registered Member

super jealous. I can only imagine the cost

alexwbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2011, 10:11 AM   #27
nl146
Registered Member

Great design skills. Can't wait to see the completion of your project.

nl146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2011, 10:54 AM   #28
skish2
Registered Member

Temperature Probe?

Hey i was wondering where you got your temperature probe from? I've been looking around and I cant come up with anything? any ideas for me!
Great build btw!

skish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/23/2011, 06:48 PM   #29
skish2
Registered Member

Hey VR, I was wondering what type of probe you use for temperature? Do you use the pH probe and then use the temperature sensor to convert it to an actual numerical number or is it a totally separate sensor and code? Bc I've been looking online and I can't find a single temperature probe. Any ideas? Thanks!

Unread 03/27/2011, 11:12 PM   #30
Vancouver Reefr
Registered Member

Hi guys,

The temp probes im using are a Dallas one wire semi conductors. I can use multiple sensors on one signal wire and just address each one to get iTs temperatire.

See here for more info:

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Learning/OneWire

Once i wire the probes i then take a length of black plastic tube, slide the sensor and wire in the end and then pour epoxy down the tube to seal all the electircal side.

I then calibrate my code to read correctly with my temp probes sat in 78F water ,as this is what my tank will be maintained at.

The temp and PH pRobes and associated circuits are completly seperate to one another. I just then read each value independantly in the controller and output the coded values.

VR

The Ultimate DIY Aquarium Controller of the 21st Century!!!

LED's, PH, Salinity, Clock, LCD, ATO, Auto Water Changer, Variable Speed Cooling Fan Control and lots, lots more......

Current Tank Info: 75 Gal in the making
Vancouver Reefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2011, 11:28 PM   #31
Vancouver Reefr
Registered Member

A few more progress shots:

Front Panel:

Back Panel:

Front Panel Wiring:

Mains plug-in box:

VR

LED's, PH, Salinity, Clock, LCD, ATO, Auto Water Changer, Variable Speed Cooling Fan Control and lots, lots more......

Unread 03/30/2011, 04:13 PM   #32
skish2
Registered Member

Ok now with that being said i totally understand your websites description of the temp sensor. With that being said though, while checking out the diagram i see that all your probes and heater are wired into the same line. Is this a basic one-wire design taking the output wire and also connecting it to the pH probe? or is it just for the sake of saving space on the diagram that you didn't put separate wiring to each.

Unread 03/30/2011, 04:19 PM   #33
Vancouver Reefr
Registered Member

That is just a generic diagram to show whats going on. The temp sensors will all be connected together using the one wire protocol and will feed into one input.
Each ph sensor and salinity sensor will have its own input.

So i total i have 5 inputs on the mega for the sensors:

1. Temps ( Tank Temp, Mix Temp, Hood Temp )

2. Tank Ph

3. Mix PH

4. Tank Salinity

5. Mix Salinity

Hope this helps.

VR

Unread 04/05/2011, 12:59 PM   #34
TheReefChief
Registered Member

This thing is absolutely out of control awesome! Its exactly what I was imagining I wanted to do with my arduino skills on beautiful steroids. But seeing this build makes me realize how much I would need to put into it. Amazing job on the hardware and case too.

I am a UI Web Developer who worked for years in the building controls/automation/energy industry and man, your PC interface looks lightyears better then many of the large automation dashboards I ran into on the job.

Tell you what, I will build you the slickest Web Service, Transactional Database, and Web UI you've ever seen. And you build me another one of these things :P

TheReefChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2011, 06:50 PM   #35
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Looks like you used Front Panel Express. Are you pleased with the service? Their prices are kinda spendy. I never pull the trigger on their panels becuase the price scares me one I get everything laid out.

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2011, 08:43 PM   #36
Vancouver Reefr
Registered Member

I did indeed Bean. Their software was very simple to use and made laying out a dream, and the price as you draw is fantastic! I was going with a full infill colour panel until i figured i could save $60!

As for the quality and delivery, it is first class! They are a little pricey, but compared to the quotes i was getting locally, it was cheap. Im so glad i used them, as the front panel looks stunning now its all assembled.

I will definately use them again for any future engraving. Fast delivery to! They also tell you exactly when its going to arrive, and it was bang on time!!!!

VR

Unread 04/17/2011, 09:05 PM   #37
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

The software has improved over the last few years, but it still drives me crazy for some reason. I use water slide decals and clear coat for most panels, as most of the panels I have designed using their software end up being upward of $150 - $200.

My controller has been waiting on a custom panel for 2 years now. I have almost pulled the trigger on FPE several times but just can't swallow the price. My actual intent was to build my own CNC router to do that kind of work, but that is likely never going to happen.

Interesting mains box, though with cords, those switches are going to be a tight reach, though I imagine they will get little use. I chose to use low voltage logic to derive HOA (Hand Off Automatic) modes for the outputs instead of putting switches on the mains side.

Unread 04/18/2011, 08:33 AM   #38
Vancouver Reefr
Registered Member

I thought about doing the water slide transfers but then i bit the bullet and went with FPE. IM glad i did as the quality is fantastic.

As for the switches, they are actually pretty easy to access. Once the box is mounted, each cord will wrap around to the side and then go through access holes in the backing board. This leaves enough room to operate the switch. Also the switches are there really for emergencies. It will be rare that i will have to turn anything off outside of regular maintenance, as the common things i need to turn on/off can be done from the front panel of the controller.

Also the switches are switching 12VDC. They act as an override to drive the relay coil that switches the mains voltage. I did not want possible salty wet fingers switching 110v!

Unread 04/18/2011, 12:26 PM   #39
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Yup all of my HOA switches are low voltage as well. I just pulled up the last FPE panel I designed for my controller. It costed out to $300...

There is justs no way I am spending $300 on a single front panel

Unread 04/18/2011, 04:01 PM   #40
energyguy1978
Registered Member

Awesome! Do you have a parts list?

energyguy1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2011, 02:08 PM   #41
Vancouver Reefr
Registered Member

A parts list for the controller???

Unread 04/19/2011, 02:10 PM   #42
energyguy1978
Registered Member

Yes, Is there a complete list for this controller?

energyguy1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2011, 02:15 PM   #43
Vancouver Reefr
Registered Member

Nope, sorry. This has been built bit by bit over the last 2 years. If i sat down and went through all my schematics i could do a list but i dont have the time to do that. Its a big list!!!

I can help with any areas you may need though.

VR

Unread 05/09/2011, 04:57 AM   #44
zvargulis
Registered Member

Hey VR
nice work!
im a electronic technician and your build inspires me to take my work and knowledge home with me... and maybe some parts and 1-wire temps as well :P

i was wondering where did you source those doseing pumps from? and what sort of cost i should be looking at each?

love your work, cant wait to see more!

zvargulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/15/2011, 11:48 AM   #45
Vancouver Reefr
Registered Member

The dose pumps i got from here:

http://www.welco.net/

I was lucky enough to get these for free when they had a sample offer running. Im not too sure how much they retail for, however a quick email to them will soon provide all the information.

making your own controller is great fun! I used to be in the electronics field and with the internet to help fill in the gaps its incredible what you can come up with. Just make sure your designs and circuits are bulletproof and you build in as much redundancy as you can.

VR

Unread 05/26/2011, 12:35 PM   #46
BigRick
Registered Member

Man if I only had the time. Good job, great skills VR

BigRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2011, 10:10 AM   #47
oemtds
Moved On

I looked at your diagrams and i cant see how your salinity sensor provides 0-5vdc output to arduino. I see pH sensor with op amps but not the TDS. What do you use or how does that magnifier work?
Would you be interested connecting an inline salinity sensor that provides 0-5vdc output?
Also pH inline sensor that provides 0-5vdc output.

oemtds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2011, 05:07 AM   #48
hugorsf
Registered Member

Great job!!!
Great Info!!!
Great Build!!!

My major dought is about the control box for the pumps. How do you control a 220V appliance from the arduino? What component do you use?

hugorsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2011, 07:21 AM   #49
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugorsf View Post
Great job!!!
Great Info!!!
Great Build!!!

My major dought is about the control box for the pumps. How do you control a 220V appliance from the arduino? What component do you use?
There are several ways to control higher current and voltage.

The primary means is by the use of relays (solid state or mechanical). The uC pins can directly drive the relay coils or do so through a small signal transistor or FET.

Other options are serially (RS-232, TWI, IC2, etc) relay boards that get their instructions from the serial bus of the uC.

Unread 06/28/2011, 07:35 AM   #50
hugorsf
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal View Post
There are several ways to control higher current and voltage.

The primary means is by the use of relays (solid state or mechanical). The uC pins can directly drive the relay coils or do so through a small signal transistor or FET.

Other options are serially (RS-232, TWI, IC2, etc) relay boards that get their instructions from the serial bus of the uC.

Thanks!!!

This relay can do the job? Can y connect his realy directly to an arduino and switch on/off a 220v appliance like a pump?

hugorsf is offline   Reply With Quote