Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/27/2017, 12:37 PM   #1
Zephrant
Premium Member

Magnetic Frag Racks (3D printed)

These are magnetically mounted frag plug rack for marine aquariums. They were printed in PLA, but I suggest ABS or PETG for the longest life.

Uses 32mm x 2mm rare earth magnets, available from numerous online sources. Mine came from Amazon.

The magnets were coated in aquarium silicone, then glued in their holders. After several days to dry they were coated with multiple coats of black spray-on plasti-dip. For my next build, I'll use the solid plasti-dip and simply dip in the magnets.

I'm hoping that will seal them enough to last, but no promises.

Note: Fits most plugs, but not the 1/2" ones. Holes are 10mm, which is a good fit for most of the plugs I have found. I'm using the Oceans Wonders coral frag plugs in the picture: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y6DYQXW

Files for printing your own:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2672482
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2672511

Zephrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2017, 03:32 PM   #2
sde1500
Registered Member

You know, with this and the phyto base, you aren't making it easy on me. Don't want to spend the money but really want to start playing around with a 3d printer lol.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2017, 04:13 PM   #3
Zephrant
Premium Member

We got one last Xmas, and after printing trinkets for the kids it sat for a while. Not until recently did I get serious and start building useful stuff.

I'd guess that most people don't have a use for one, it's just too much trouble to mess with it. But if you like designing things, it's great. I'd suggest making something in the editor of your choice (I use Fusion 360), before you buy one, to see if it's something you want to do.

Easy enough to draw/build stuff interest though.

And there are people that will print your creations for you too. Costs more on a per-piece basis, but you save the cost of the printer, the rest of the spool of material, and a ton of frustration on making the printer work right.

I spent several weeks trying to figure out what was wrong with my printer, finally replaced the hot end ($50), and found some loose screws. Working great again now.

Loving the phyto reactor though- Had a dream to build one for years, wasn't until 3D printing and cheap LEDs came along that I could realize it for cheap enough to do.

Unread 11/27/2017, 06:04 PM   #4
outssider
Registered Member

I tried sandwiching rare earth magnets between two thin round pieces of plastic with clear silicone (GE silicone I). they worked for a few months but eventually I could see the magnet starting to turn a rust color. If i'd have used black silicone I would have never known/seen the rust starting...........keep a close eye on those magnets....!!!

outssider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/27/2017, 08:09 PM   #5
jrhupp
Registered Member

Kudos on the printer work. Very nice.

I'd suggest moving to ABS for a few reasons, the biggest of which is that it can be solvent bonded and solvent smoothed (vapor polished) to make a solid surface. It would make embedding and sealing magnets quite easy. Plus no need to worry about poor bonding between silicone/plastic dip and material, as they wouldn't be needed. I'll post a kalk stirrer design I have been working on in the next few days that uses this kind of embedding for magnets if you are interested.

I ate a jellyfish... tasted like soy sauce.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon system in progress
jrhupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2017, 06:23 AM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I love my 3d printer.. Until I see "4 hours to print this small plastic part.. what in the.?"
They sure are slow..

Unread 11/29/2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Zephrant
Premium Member

Yep, should try ABS again. Have been using at little PETG, but can't get it to print small details like the ring on the magnet caps. Too stringy.

Started a two day print last night, my longest so far. 600g of plastic, sure hope it turns out...

Unread 11/29/2017, 11:26 AM   #8
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephrant View Post
Started a two day print last night, my longest so far. 600g of plastic, sure hope it turns out...
2 days... crazy..
I can't imagine..

I'm spoiled though and have access to a CNC milling machine so if its not under 2 hours to print it I just mill it out on the CNC..

Unread 11/29/2017, 01:23 PM   #9
Reefpuck
Registered Member

If you don't mind me asking, what are you using for a 3D printer. They all look ridiculously expensive.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2017, 01:33 PM   #10
Zephrant
Premium Member

I got a mid to low-end one, the Monoprice IIIp. It's working very well, much better than the much more expensive one (mid-range) at the local university, but is nothing like the big machines we have at work.

Then again, I didn't pay $60k for it either...

Wish I had a second head though, for dissolvable supports.

Unread 11/29/2017, 01:52 PM   #11
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefpuck View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what are you using for a 3D printer. They all look ridiculously expensive.
You can pick up many now for $250-500 that perform just fine.. or even less..

XYZ da Vinci mini is $169-189 now all over the place..
https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...0aAnfVEALw_wcB

Unread 12/01/2017, 07:32 AM   #12
Orr2003
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephrant View Post
These are magnetically mounted frag plug rack for marine aquariums. They were printed in PLA, but I suggest ABS or PETG for the longest life.

Uses 32mm x 2mm rare earth magnets, available from numerous online sources. Mine came from Amazon.

The magnets were coated in aquarium silicone, then glued in their holders. After several days to dry they were coated with multiple coats of black spray-on plasti-dip. For my next build, I'll use the solid plasti-dip and simply dip in the magnets.

I'm hoping that will seal them enough to last, but no promises.

Note: Fits most plugs, but not the 1/2" ones. Holes are 10mm, which is a good fit for most of the plugs I have found. I'm using the Oceans Wonders coral frag plugs in the picture: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y6DYQXW

Files for printing your own:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2672482
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2672511
Thats really cool Zephrant. I like the idea of having the rack in the corner of the tank out and away from everything. I have been looking for a 3D printer or someone that has one to make new guards for my four MP40's. I have a 16" shallow reef and the plastic propeller guards that come with them cause to much air to be pulled into the tank from the surface. So I was thinking I could make a new guard that only had slots on one half of them. This would only allow the MP40 to pull from the bottom side and not the top. Do you think this could be done? Or even a simple snap on cap that went over the existing guard to block off the top portion.

Unread 12/01/2017, 11:51 PM   #13
Zephrant
Premium Member

Yep, sounds like a great application. You'll need exact measurements to draw it up.

If you are looking for tips and help to do it yourself, start a thread and I'll be glad to contribute. Best if you can find a local reefer that you can trade frags for printing, because it may take several iterations to get it right.

I may have a sickness... 50 hours of print time and 700g (1/3 of a spool), all for a brine shrimp hatchery that approximates part of a 2 liter bottle...

Unread 12/02/2017, 12:55 AM   #14
Cheapreef
Registered Member

Nice design, when I print for magnets in a my tank I only use ABS and acetone to seal.
I've had a 3D printer for about 6 years now. I have 5 total and CNC router, all great machines. I use them pretty much full time with the work I do. https://www.facebook.com/Tundra-Desi...8411668900298/

Cheapreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2017, 08:23 PM   #15
mfinn
Registered Member

After you have the magnets attached to the frag rack, try using casting resin.
I made a whole lot of frag racks with the eggcrate, neodymium magnets and casting resin.
I have a couple frag racks left from 6-7 years ago that are still usable.
Be sure to use a dye. I think uv rays break down the clear casting resin pretty fast.

Unread 12/02/2017, 08:28 PM   #16
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
You can pick up many now for $250-500 that perform just fine.. or even less..

XYZ da Vinci mini is $169-189 now all over the place..
https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...0aAnfVEALw_wcB
Appreciate it!

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2017, 10:47 PM   #17
Zephrant
Premium Member

Good ideas- I'll try ABS again, could not get it to stick the last time I tried it, but have the hairspray now.

Casting resin sounds great, have thought about acrylic resin too.

Last edited by Zephrant; 12/13/2017 at 11:19 PM.