Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/22/2021, 09:23 PM   #1
Herndog
Registered Member

Skimmer bubbles from lid flood stand and floor

So I came home after 9 hours and heard the lid on my skimmer cup rattling. I look in stand and notice salt spray everywhere and bubbles coming out from under lid of skimmer and from vent holes in lid. I then notice water under the stand. I recently reinstalled my Red Sea ATO after moving tank. It was doing fine for a week. I stuck that black sponge back into the Reefer 250 V3 sump a couple days ago.

Anyway has anyone had the popping bubbles from a lid end up flooding their stand and floor? I am pretty sure the popping bubbles was splattering the back wall in the stand and then leading to water running down the wall leading to this mess.

The ATO was empty leading to water in the skimmer chamber rising and the skimmer cup filling up. I sorta think adding back that sponge caused this.

I guess my big question is : most people think having an in sump skimmer protects you from a flood... can these little popping bubbles really flood your stand and floor?

Current Tank Info: Reefer 250 / MP40QWD / Gen 5 Radion Pro / Apex / Trident
Herndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2021, 12:41 AM   #2
ggfrancis
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herndog View Post
So I came home after 9 hours and heard the lid on my skimmer cup rattling. I look in stand and notice salt spray everywhere and bubbles coming out from under lid of skimmer and from vent holes in lid. I then notice water under the stand. I recently reinstalled my Red Sea ATO after moving tank. It was doing fine for a week. I stuck that black sponge back into the Reefer 250 V3 sump a couple days ago.

Anyway has anyone had the popping bubbles from a lid end up flooding their stand and floor? I am pretty sure the popping bubbles was splattering the back wall in the stand and then leading to water running down the wall leading to this mess.

The ATO was empty leading to water in the skimmer chamber rising and the skimmer cup filling up. I sorta think adding back that sponge caused this.

I guess my big question is : most people think having an in sump skimmer protects you from a flood... can these little popping bubbles really flood your stand and floor?

I recommend this.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart...-autoaqua.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ggfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2021, 09:24 PM   #3
Herndog
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggfrancis View Post
I recommend this.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart...-autoaqua.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good idea except I don't trust it but thanks for reminding me of this type option. I have a float switch I am not using and I ordered the Neptune breakout box and drilled one of the skimmer lid holes larger and installed float. No more overfilling skimmer cup!

I somehow forgot you could do this and some skimmers come with a float. One day may get a skimmate locker...

Current Tank Info: Reefer 250 / MP40QWD / Gen 5 Radion Pro / Apex / Trident
Herndog is offline   Reply With Quote