Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/04/2008, 11:14 AM   #26
bored4long
Registered Member

Doug, thanks for doing this thread. I think I'm going to take advantage of the live.com cashback and pick up legs and head on ebay.

I've decided on the Manfrotto 055xprob legs, because they taller and sturdier than the 190 legs.

I'm torn between the 322rc2 and 488 ballhead. Can you offer advice between the two of these? I think the 322rc2 would be strong enough for any camera/lens combo I put on it. I'm leaning towards the 488, since it would be easier to pan with that one.

My photos will primarily be macros of the tank and portrait. Thanks!

Unread 11/04/2008, 11:16 AM   #27
BlueCorn
Retired

I've never cared for the "grip" heads but that's just personal preference. If it was me choosing between those two I'd get the 488 as well.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/04/2008, 03:20 PM   #28
TitusvileSurfer
Registered Member

I use the 488CR2 myself and love it, but I want Doug's Gitzo.

Unread 11/15/2008, 09:55 AM   #29
xtra-salty
Registered Member

I am currently in the market for a tripod to support my D700. The D700 weighs in around 35 oz. and my heaviest lens is a AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED @ 35.3oz (close to 4.5 lbs total). I am trying to stay between $400~$600, possibly closer to 4. I would prefer a heavier setup and a bigger collapsed size if it can keep the price down....and also I am 6'1" so i need something tall. I mainly shoot outdoors and some macro shots of fish/animals,etc. I took a look at the 488CR2 because of the comments about it and it seems like it would work for a good price, but man am I stuck on deciding what legs. Ive also been looking at Gitzo options but not sure f I can fit it into my price range. Any experts care to push me in the right direction? I would appreciate it!

xtra-salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2008, 10:09 AM   #30
BlueCorn
Retired

This would be a decent choice. It's aluminum so it's cheaper than fiber and you'd only have to extend the center column about half way. Your height eliminates a bunch of them.

Manfrotto 055XB

That head is a decent choice as well.

Cheers

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
Unread 11/15/2008, 02:02 PM   #31
xtra-salty
Registered Member

Thanks for your help. I started to notice my height was becoming a deciding factor on alot of these tripod legs.

So that combo takes me under budget, so I keep browsing around and always seem to end up looking at this head GH1780. I like the independent pan and tilt locks for shooting panoramas.
I can only imagine the injustice of putting this head on a cheap set of legs though...

xtra-salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/15/2008, 02:13 PM   #32
BlueCorn
Retired

I love my Gitzo legs but haven't been fond of their heads. I love my Really Right Stuff head I've got the BH-40LRII but the BH-25 supports up to almost 9 lbs.

BH-25

Unread 11/28/2008, 03:55 PM   #33
dc
Moderator Emeritus

Well I hate messing with my tripod. (came with my sony f-717) so I bought a monopod for a little stability. I got a Manfrotto 334B Automatic Monopod. And a 234RC quick release head. I figure it's a step up from not using anything.

Why? Because I said so of course.

-Sent via Tapatalk Smoke Signals-
dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2008, 10:03 AM   #34
BlueCorn
Retired

Nice Debi. You're correct that anything that you can do to stabilize yourself is a step in the right direction. A monopod can be really handy for shooting sports (or anything else that moves). They can also be great for public places that don't typically allow tripods, like museums, aquariums, etc.

They don't lend themselves very useful to my style of shooting but that's just me.

Cheers

Unread 12/05/2008, 12:05 PM   #35
Jar*Head
Premium Member

What do you guy think about this tripod Velbon I716H

Current Tank Info: 480g peninsula

Last edited by Jar*Head; 12/05/2008 at 12:11 PM.
Jar*Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2008, 12:09 PM   #36
BlueCorn
Retired

The legs are "okay." The geared column doesn't have any way to lock it down so it's not going to be very stable with it extended. That head also wouldn't be my first choice. It really looks like it's designed to be a video tripod versus photo.

Unread 12/05/2008, 12:15 PM   #37
Jar*Head
Premium Member

Damn just order it lastnight. I have the same problem with the other tripod

Unread 12/05/2008, 12:28 PM   #38
BlueCorn
Retired

I just added this to the first post, it'll definitely help in your case:

---
If you're going to the trouble of using a tripod you should also invest in a remote trigger. It doesn't matter if it's wired or wireless; the key is that you're not touching the camera during the shot. If you don't have a remote trigger, consider using the camera's self-timer feature. If your current tripod is less than stellar, this can make a huge difference in the sharpness of your shots.

Unread 12/05/2008, 01:02 PM   #39
Jar*Head
Premium Member

Thanks Doug, the remote trigger is my next purchase. My old Velbon is mainly for Video. The reason i bought the newer Velbon and cost twice as much because it seems stronger plus they got my weakness by saying great for 35mm DSLR . I will look into purchase the ballhead

Unread 12/06/2008, 11:12 AM   #40
dc
Moderator Emeritus

LOL, I like that kind of head myself. Mine looks much like that and is a quick release, as is my tripod that I never use. I am finding I will grab this monopod way more than I'll set up my tripod. My camera came with a remote. Haven't been anywhere to use it yet.

Why? Because I said so of course.

-Sent via Tapatalk Smoke Signals-
dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2008, 12:32 PM   #41
Jar*Head
Premium Member

I did some research lastnight on the Gitzo tripod. Doug, you have such a expensive taste but the tripod looks very nice though. I will saving up for it.... BTW, i canceled my other tripod order.

Unread 12/07/2008, 06:33 PM   #42
BlueCorn
Retired

If you don't want to break the bank, and don't mind a little extra weight, you could pick up a set of Manfrotto 190 series legs. That and a nice head would do fine. I love my Gitzo but a $650 tripod isn't for everyone.

Unread 12/07/2008, 11:56 PM   #43
Jar*Head
Premium Member

Doug,
why settle with something that you are not fully happy with . I am saving up for the Gitzo. Just like reefing, i don't want to keep on upgrade....

Unread 01/18/2009, 11:22 AM   #44
xtm
Registered Member

Doug, can you recommend a "budget" Manfrotto/ballhead setup from B&H? I don't mind if it's heavy, just looking for a stable and reliable setup. My camera/lens is about 5 lbs and I'm thinking at least 4 ft high would be ideal.

Also, can I shoot in portrait orientation using a ballhead or do you guys suggest I buy an L-bracket?

thanks

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS Tank (48x24x24)
xtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2009, 11:55 AM   #45
maddog10
Registered Member

One additional thing to consider when getting a tripod for aquarium photography is how reflective the legs are. Silver/aluminum can show in a photo if the lighting isn't just right. Consider black, grey, brown or dark green when shopping.

I also strongly suggest you go to a store to try out the heads (or order from a store with good return policy). Some will just feel more comfortable than others. Make sure it has the features you are looking for and attach YOUR camera and lens to it while you try it in the shop.

"I am not a photographer, but I play one on the Internet."
maddog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2009, 10:06 AM   #46
BlueCorn
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by xtm
Doug, can you recommend a "budget" Manfrotto/ballhead setup from B&H? I don't mind if it's heavy, just looking for a stable and reliable setup. My camera/lens is about 5 lbs and I'm thinking at least 4 ft high would be ideal.

Also, can I shoot in portrait orientation using a ballhead or do you guys suggest I buy an L-bracket?

thanks
Take a look at the Manfrotto 190 series. The 486RC2 is okay for the price but it's definitely no-frills.

Unread 03/06/2009, 03:33 PM   #47
dendronepthya
Premium Member

I just picked up my compact tripod kit. It consists of:
Gitzo 1550T legs
Markins Q3 Ball Head

Really Right Stuff B2 LR II Clamp

Pretty well made stuff compared to the $30 walmart tripod I used to use.

Current Tank Info: 5000-gallon greenhouse system
dendronepthya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2009, 03:34 PM   #48
BlueCorn
Retired

I love my RRS gear. Did you get an L-Bracket too?

Unread 03/08/2009, 09:45 PM   #49
dendronepthya
Premium Member

I didn't pick up the L-bracket. The reviews I heard from others were very positive but I thought it would be just too bulky for my taste. Is it used primarily for portrait orientation?

Current Tank Info: 5000-gallon greenhouse system
dendronepthya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/08/2009, 10:10 PM   #50
BlueCorn
Retired

It's for both orientations. It also allows you to switch back and forth very quickly. Spend the extra money - you won't regret it.