Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2009, 12:41 AM   #51
RyanEG
Bridge burner

Doug,

I just wanted to thank you for your posts in the Lounge about my newly acquired gear. I used the POS tripod that I bought for a grand total of about 25 shots and decided that it is grossly inadequate for holding anything other than a P&S.

My Gitzo G1325 legs with a G1318 rapid column is due to be shipped tomorrow. I even decided on that without reading this post, this is actually the first time Ive ventured into this board.

I do have a question though, for taking nature photos and aquarium photos(probably more nature than aqua) what would your choice in heads be? Im looking at either the RRS BH-55 maybe even BH-40 or something that will handle the weight of a 500mm lense(thats my next purchase). Any furthur help would be wonderful.

ludiNano-forever lounging- April 27, 2012

Current Tank Info: sold lock stock andd barrel
RyanEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/24/2009, 09:16 AM   #52
BlueCorn
Retired

For that set of legs I think that the 40 would be a good fit. You want to make your gear fit what it's going to be doing most of the time. The 40 will hold up just fine for occasional use on the 500. If the 500 is going to be your primary lens I'd probably get the 55.

Cheers and welcome to this side of RC.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2009, 03:20 PM   #53
xtm
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
Take a look at the Manfrotto 190 series. The 486RC2 is okay for the price but it's definitely no-frills.
Doug,
I actually ended up with the 190CX3 (not the pro3) and the 486RC2.. exactly what you recommended. lol but man, this combo does everything I need it to do.. and at about 4lbs, it's light enough to carry on hikes! I like how I can remove the centre column entirely.. it shaves a few ounces.
I was so close to buying the Gitzo mountaineer at B&H but the twist lock mechanism made me stop since I'm not familiar with it.

The 486RC2 doesn't have the separate lever for panning but I don't need that feature anyways. This is good for now.

The "only" beef I have with the RC2 plate is that it's somewhat bulky and heavy. Can you recommend a flatter, lighter, and less obtrusive quick release plate/ballhead combo that doesn't stick out on the bottom of my camera body?

thanks

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS Tank (48x24x24)
xtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2009, 03:23 PM   #54
BlueCorn
Retired

Sure. You can actually get a Really Right Stuff clamp that fits the top of that ballhead. (I have one on my "emergency" tripod in the trunk of my car.) I love their L bracket and clamp system and would hate to ever have to give it up.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
Unread 04/14/2009, 09:52 AM   #55
Steve Ruddy
Registered Member

Giottos

I have a Giottos MT9371 with a MH1301 ball head. It is the steel model which I like for its extra weight. I did look at Manfrotto tripods but personally didn't like them or their price. The Giottos brand also makes the same design in carbon fiber if you need to lug it around a lot. Personally when I go on walks I'll take the Giottos monopod. Nice thread Beerguy. I would highly recommend anyone looking for a professional tripod give Giottos a look. The model I have is able to get the camera on the ground for macro work which is not an option with a lot of tripods.

Current Tank Info: 70 Gallon NgTank System (Elos copy)
Steve Ruddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2009, 11:12 AM   #56
BlueCorn
Retired

Giottos does sell some decent gear, the only real issue is that you have to be a little careful. They're a distributor, not a manufacturer so the quality can vary wildly.

Cheers

Unread 04/18/2009, 01:57 AM   #57
SteveM10
Registered Member

Can you please tell me what you think of this combination.

Bogen - Manfrotto 190CX3 3 Section Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs
Cullmann CU40200 High Load Magnesit Ball Head 35 with 40490 Deluxe Plate

I've read a lot of good things about them but wanted to know how well they would work together.

SteveM10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/18/2009, 09:30 AM   #58
BlueCorn
Retired

They should work just fine together.

Cheers

Unread 04/29/2009, 02:58 PM   #59
ludnix
Registered Member

I'm currently using a $50 cheap tri-pod and it definitely is constraining my ability to take certain shots. My biggest complaint that even with the center extended all the way it only reaches slightly above eye-level. It's definitely not very sturdy as well, but in most cases that hasn't been an issue as much as the height.

I'm not taking photos at level that would justify a $500 for a tripod, but what are some taller tri-pods that would work well on a casual level? Out of the three options on the OP, I'd chose low cost, and stability, weight isn't a real concern for me.

Current Tank Info: 14g Biocube
ludnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/29/2009, 04:57 PM   #60
BlueCorn
Retired

The Manfrotto 190 series is a really good choice for a solid tripod at a reasonable price. It's available in aluminum as well as carbon fiber.

Unread 06/15/2009, 07:40 AM   #61
Aadler
Registered Member

How would you rate the 486rc2 vs 804rc2?

804 weighs .7lbs more.

Someone was just talking about not being able to pan with the 486, wasnt sure if that would be a problem for me or not.

Unread 06/15/2009, 07:57 AM   #62
BlueCorn
Retired

The 804 is a pan/tilt head the 486 is a Ball head. Both will work, and it's largely a matter of personal preference, but I find a ball head much more practical. To me, having to independently adjust 3 axis is a real hassle. It's try that the 486 has no true panning lock it's still quite possible to use like that. The 488 is also an option.

The only reason why I recommend the 486 is that it's a fairly stable, low cost head. There are lots of other options available if you're willing to spend more money.

Cheers

Unread 06/18/2009, 07:32 AM   #63
Aadler
Registered Member

Would it be too risky to give the adorama flashpoint carbon fiber tripods/ballheads a go?

My only experience with store-brand stuff is Gander Mountain fishing rods/reels and they are shimano or some pretty decent brand reel/rod company rebranded, I assume this is what the adorama tripods are as well, if thats the case the only thing i dont like about it is the 4 legs. but at almost 1.5 lbs lighter than the 190 legs... I am a backpacker so that is nice, since it is the same price.

Unread 06/18/2009, 08:18 AM   #64
BlueCorn
Retired

I don't have any direct experience with them. My hunch is that they're rebranded knock-offs, probably Benro -- just like Amvona/Dynatran, Induro. If I were to go that route I'd trust the legs a lot more than the head. For backpacking the Really Right Stuff BH-25 is a slick little head.

Unread 06/18/2009, 08:55 AM   #65
Aadler
Registered Member

I read a review that said they might be slik.

I was thinking of maybe going with the flashpoint legs and the 484 or 486. I think I am ok with not opening up the smallest section of legs, and it sounds like they are pretty stable if you don't. plus adorama gives them a 5yr warrenty, that has to say something no?

Guess ill give a review come mid august how they hold up in the backcountry :c/

Unread 06/23/2009, 02:07 PM   #66
Aadler
Registered Member

must say first impressions are very positive. More than I was expecting, since I never actually got to see one in person. Does seem to be a bit of vibration when fully extended, but that is to be expected with the four legs.

Will get to try it out at arlington this friday.

Unread 07/01/2009, 12:07 AM   #67
Mchava
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mchava
so how does these tripod stack up. B&H has it on sale right now.
Bogen / Manfrotto 190XDB Tripod Legs w/Fixed 484RC2 Mini Ball Head
Well folks just wanted to stop by and say thanks for all the help. I finally bought a decent tripod. I went ahead and bought this set up. Since its discontinued, I got it at a great deal. I also bought the canon 50mm f1.8 lens and a wireless remote. I am off to tryout my new set up. Just wanted to stop by and thank you all.

Unread 07/01/2009, 01:08 AM   #68
aquariumclown
Moved On

Nice Mario, I just bought a Manfrotto too.

aquariumclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2009, 08:08 PM   #69
MeuserReef
Welcome to the next level

All, what do you think about the following combo:

D5000 / Manfrotto 055XPROB / 486CR2 Ball head

I dont see myself ever owning any lens longer/heavier than perhaps the 55-200mm. Im 6' tall, which ruled out the 190XPROB. My budget is <$300 for the tripod and the head. Is there a "better" system that I should be comparing to the 55/486?

Current Tank Info: tankless
MeuserReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2009, 08:29 PM   #70
BlueCorn
Retired

If that's your budget, I think your choice looks fine.

Unread 07/12/2009, 11:40 PM   #71
MeuserReef
Welcome to the next level

Thanks Doug. The link you provided to Don Simth's site has been very helpful too (articles)

Current Tank Info: tankless
MeuserReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2009, 09:20 AM   #72
DetectiveTofu
Registered Member

Doug, do the manfrotto 190's have a stability hook, or something similar? I am looking into this and the RC82 ballhead ... can that shoot on portrait orientation?

DetectiveTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2009, 09:38 AM   #73
BlueCorn
Retired

Sorry, I don't recall off the top of my head but it would surprise me if it didn't have an option to hang your bag or a weight. I've actually found a counterweight to sometimes cause a loss of stability. The problem is that in windy conditions, the weight can swing, causing the whole rig to move. It can be helpful in some conditions but I wouldn't consider it's absence to be a deal breaker.

I'm not familiar with that head. Link?

I'm actually not aware of any head that doesn't allow you to switch to portrait. If that's something that you envision yourself doing a lot you should really consider some sort of L-bracket solution. Really Right Stuff, Kirk Enterprises and Novaflex all make them and most can be used with any head that supports an Arca-Swiss quick release plate.

Cheers

Unread 10/12/2009, 12:59 PM   #74
DetectiveTofu
Registered Member

Sorry Doug, I meant the Manfrotto 486RC2 Ball Head. I am debating between the Manfrotto 190XB ($129), and the 190XDB ($98). Do these tripod legs have a hook for stability? I cannot tell by the picture, or description ... it seems silly to me that any tripod would be without a hook!

Unread 10/13/2009, 06:31 PM   #75
DetectiveTofu
Registered Member

Does anyone know if the Manfrotto 190XDB comes with a stability hook?