Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/23/2010, 12:45 AM   #76
Reffer831
Registered Member

what is the best tri pod under 300 for a Rebel T2i with a 100mm macro? needs to be able to do top downs.

Reffer831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/23/2010, 01:00 AM   #77
flyyyguy
King of the white corals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffer831 View Post
what is the best tri pod under 300 for a Rebel T2i with a 100mm macro? needs to be able to do top downs.

with that budget...........im pretty pleased with my Slik Master classic tripod with a Manfrotto 3265 head

roughly $100 for the tripod and $140 for the head I think I paid.

edit- funny......I thought I was replying to a single post I clicked on from the main page and realized we are on page 4

Last edited by flyyyguy; 12/23/2010 at 01:05 AM.
flyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2011, 01:58 PM   #78
xtm
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I posted 2 yrs ago that I bought a Manfrotto 190CX legs.. it was great and I used it for 2 yrs with no problems. While the 190 was a great pod, I found that it's a bit too big and bulky for my trips. Well I recently sold it so I can get a.... Gitzo

I'm strongly leaning towards the GT1541T. Any experiences/comments on this legs? How are the twist locks compared to the flip locks? I'm thinking about pairing it with Markins Q3T and an L-bracket for the D700.

I better get the Gitzo asap before Dogfish Head and Singh-Ray drains all my money!

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS Tank (48x24x24)
xtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2011, 02:06 PM   #79
BlueCorn
Retired

I've been using the slightly heavier version (GT2541) for a couple years and really like it. At least in my experience, the twist locks are faster. I haven't used the Markins head but I highly recommend an L-bracket; them make all the difference.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2011, 02:27 PM   #80
xtm
Registered Member

thanks Doug. I'm doing some reading on 1541 vs 2541... What made you decide on the 2541?

Current Tank Info: 120g SPS Tank (48x24x24)
xtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2011, 02:28 PM   #81
BlueCorn
Retired

It's just a little heavier duty. The other specs. are pretty close.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
Unread 04/25/2011, 08:07 AM   #82
amehel0
Registered Member

most of the time you will find a tripod able to hold 4kg with a 3way pan and tilt head works great. generally brands arent so important when dealing with such light loads. most brands use a 1/4" thread so most heads are interchangeable inbetween brands. i currently have a velbon sherpa 200r and qb-157 head. great combo for most photography. i also use a macro slider with it. it supports a 5d and 180mm lens so a fair bit of weight. quick release is great particularly with multiple lenses i can switch a lens in 30secs and its more safe. also find the best point of balance with your setup. sometimes youll have the body attached sometimes the lens.

90g
40g

Current Tank Info: 170g 90g packed with aussie natives highly filtered, 40g a few natives and a few oddballs, i mainly keep predatory fish and 1100g is a pond and has barramundi and mor enatives in it
amehel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2011, 06:50 PM   #83
kissman
Registered Member

Manfroto=stable and light

kissman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2011, 10:04 AM   #84
BlueCorn
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissman View Post
Manfroto=stable and light
That's not an automatic thing. Many are very heavy.

Unread 06/27/2011, 10:11 AM   #85
kissman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy View Post
That's not an automatic thing. Many are very heavy.

not once you get into the carbon fiber talking like 6-7lbs thats not heavy when a lot of the tripods are 14lbs. You have to have some weight in order fro it to be stable. Now if you want something like a kodak tripod that only supports like a point and shoot camera you can get one that ways 2lbs but then it will move if the wind blows. Will do do you good if you are using a slow shutter speed and will be top heavy

Unread 06/27/2011, 10:22 AM   #86
BlueCorn
Retired

My 4lb Gitzo holds my gear just fine. Maybe you should actually read the thread.

Unread 06/27/2011, 10:43 AM   #87
kissman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy View Post
My 4lb Gitzo holds my gear just fine. Maybe you should actually read the thread.
I did read the thread and the start was pick 2 of 3 I picked stable and light! My 7lb manfroto with a gitzo ball head works just fine for me, its light and stable. Glad you like your gitzo, I might have gone with one if I could have found a camera store in the area that actually had gitzo tripods. I have a friend that has a gitzo ball head on a manfroto tripod and i liked it and thats what I went with. Because thats what I could try. I also have a Manfrotto Monopod so I knew that Manfrotto made good quality stuff.

Unread 10/08/2011, 09:44 PM   #88
Ltlduc
Registered Member

Hi guys.
It's been a while since I've been here. Doug is right. A good CF tripod is super sweet to work with. Gitzo is great and so is Manfrotto. I've had both. Until you try a Really Right Stuff. New League! But the key is just to get something your comfortable with that is really stable. The head makes a big difference as well.

Kit
Nikon D300
Nikon D3X
105 Macro VR
14-24
16-35 VR
24-70
70-200 VR2
TC20 Teleconverter
Gitzo Traveler W RRS BH30 Ballhead
Really Right Stuff TVC24 W RRS BH40 Ballhead

Ltlduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2011, 12:22 PM   #89
Hernandezj11
Registered Member

Hello everyone.
Does anyone have experience with this tripod?
http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...-overview-open

Hernandezj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2011, 12:25 PM   #90
BlueCorn
Retired

That is not a good tripod. That fits the category of possibly being worse than no tripod at all. The problem is that because it's a tripod you expect it to be stable; it's not.

If you read the first post in their thread you should be able to pick the right one for you. (hint , they don't sell it at BestBuy)

Unread 10/24/2011, 12:30 PM   #91
Hernandezj11
Registered Member

See thats the problem, I have over $100 dollars at best buy and thought i could use it for this. I read a lot of the post here and I know its cheaper to buy an expensive/ quality now then buying a cheap one and having to buy another one. This puts me in pickle . I respect everyone's imput. In your opinion do u see any of the best buy tripods worth it?

Hernandezj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2011, 06:57 PM   #92
jbliss
Registered Member

I got a tripod from Walmart for dirt cheap that was 42" high.

jbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2011, 07:44 PM   #93
BlueCorn
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbliss View Post
I got a tripod from Walmart for dirt cheap that was 42" high.
You overpaid.

Unread 01/25/2012, 06:15 AM   #94
JBen
Registered Member

Good read on the importance of tripods. With regards to all the various equipment you might want for photography when it comes to accessories I consider my tripods to be second most important, with filters ranking at the top. Meaning I never leave home without my filters, my tripods (yes plural) I may/may not carry with me.

I see lately people discussing is a pods maximum load capacity and weight. I think when looking to buy, it's critically important to buy with an eye to the future. If you start acquiring more and or better lenses and bodies, your tripod and head need to be able to accommodate that. That manfrotto you bought 3 years ago that did the job for your rebel and 70-300, suddenly won't hold your new 5D and 70-200 f2.8.

Another consideration is the weight of the pod/head. If your like me, the weight you lug around on any given day becomes a priority. It's nothing for me, most days I'm out shooting to be carrying 30 to 40 pounds of camera gear and that before the pod. If Im on assignment and Im loaded for bear, that easily jumps to 60-70 pounds. Any ounce I can save I will. Good Carbon Fibre pods are a god send.

Spend where you have to, save where you can.
Regardless of your budget, get the best pod you can. Do you "need" an $800 Gitzo Carbon?
No. But get the best you can, because it allows for growth amongst other things. Maybe you don't own any 4pound or 8 pound bricks (lenses) but one day you might and if your pod can't hold it (not talking collapse, but vibrations) and if your head can't handle it (creep), you 'will' be upgrading something you didn't to.

Alternatives in a pinch. Worth owning imo.
Gorilla pods are handy. I picked one up as an light weight in a pinch pod. The heavier model can hold my Gimbal head (4 pounds) + 1D (4pds) + 800mm (10pds). They fit easily in almost any pack/bag and can be exploited when weight and bulk are issues (travel), day hikes, bike rides...Plus due to their nature they make fantastic pods for Macro photography.

JBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2012, 08:18 PM   #95
Misled
RC Mod

I have a couple of these.

I've used these since my film days. I like to use them as a chest pod when out and about. Also very stable. My macro carry.

Unread 01/26/2012, 04:54 AM   #96
JBen
Registered Member

I've looked at those as well Jesse.
As much as I agree that a good pod is important, there are times when it's simply not feasible to carry my Gitzo due to weight restrictions, or bulk. So I am always looking at alternatives that while not as stable as my gitzo, they can be packed and carried easily.
Canoe trips, kayaking, when fly fishing/wading rivers, bushwhacking, bike riding etc.

I went with the heavy Gorilla Pod, if my memory serves me right it's rated for 12kg. I didn't believe it until I mounted 18 pounds on it, and let it sit for an hour and the articulated legs held (after careful positioning). Then I mounted my 180 macro and flash bracket sand with the flash out and over its very front heavy, and started twisting the legs around anything I could find..Chair legs, limbs etc. Again it took some positioning (my macro rig is close to 10pds) but not due to the legs creeping, but rather needing to counter balance the lens and flash heads against the body so the entire unit (pod/body/lens) wouldn't spin on an axis.

Ive also found that the Gorilla pods come in handy when I'm out in the bush and need flash/light stands for remote triggering. I can attach the Gorilla to a branch, post, or sit it on a rock/ground and have my flashes fire remotely. Basically a very good "in a pinch" pod and compliment to my heavier pods/gear.

Last edited by JBen; 01/26/2012 at 05:00 AM.
JBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2012, 09:35 PM   #97
jezuz!
Registered Member

what are peoples thoughts on the manfrotto 055XPROB Pro? quality wise, is it worth the money

450 in progress
jezuz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2012, 10:17 PM   #98
BlueCorn
Retired

Yes, that's a nice midrange tripod. It's quite stable and should last you many years.

Unread 07/01/2012, 10:44 PM   #99
kissman
Registered Member

I almost bought that and decided to go with the 190CXPRO3

Unread 10/12/2013, 05:47 PM   #100
marcgrantphoto
Registered Member

I'm a professional photographer by trade and I never shoot with a tripod due to constraints on creativity. With many of the newer point and shoots as well as DSLR's there's really no reason for a tripod. When you shoot in manual, you control ALL aspects of the photo by choice of ISO, shutter speed and aperture. I also shoot exclusively natural light both indoors and out so lighting shouldn't be an issue either. A well lit tank provides more than enough light and hand-holding a short, macro lens shouldn't be a problem for the majority of you out there unless you have shakes or tremors.

Happy shooting!

marcgrantphoto is offline   Reply With Quote