Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/17/2013, 06:30 PM   #101
SantaMonica
Registered Member

I have the Targus 660TR and my first, and have nothing to compare it to. I must say, however, that even I would appreciate if the upper part would pan left/right. The way it is now, you have to rotate all 3 legs, which does not work well when the legs are in tight spots.

Unread 10/21/2013, 10:24 AM   #102
Clamagore
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgrantphoto View Post
I'm a professional photographer by trade and I never shoot with a tripod due to constraints on creativity. With many of the newer point and shoots as well as DSLR's there's really no reason for a tripod.
If everybody photographed the same subjects as you, in the same style, with the same camera, sure, a tripod might never be required. Personally, I avoid using a tripod like the plague, but it's sometimes necessary to achieve certain results. Once again, it depends.

I agree a tripod can interfere with the process, but when used wisely, it can expand one’s options. For example, it would have been virtually impossible for me to create the image below, with that quality, sans tripod.

Specifically regarding this thread, I recommend that a prospective tripod user looks for the highest quality tripod and head they can afford, so that they can depend on it when needed, for many years to come. Many inexpensive tripods can be more frustrating than they're worth. Five years ago, I picked up a Gitzo with a Markins ballhead, and I doubt I'll ever buy another tripod again.

i can see why people get hooked on this

Clamagore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2013, 12:27 PM   #103
BlueCorn
Retired

Absolutely, your shooting style should be the driver in whether you need camera support. I'm primarily a landscape shooter, for me aperture is everything and low light is the normal rather than the exception. In those situations, to hand hold, I'd have to comprise my aperture selection to ensure I'm able to keep the camera sufficiently still. The moment I have to choose an aperture based on my ability to hold the camera vs what the scene requires, I've given up artistic control; i.e. I'm less creative. Because of how I shoot, I rarely take a serious shot without my Gitzo.

Cheers

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 03:55 AM   #104
Acrid Dragon
Registered Member

I'm not sure I know what do you exactly need, but on Highend beauty retouching website I'm sure there is something)
I read there a nice article about how to pick up a camera for a different purposes, maybe it'llhelp you)

Acrid Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote