Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Photography
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/25/2011, 08:17 AM   #51
amehel0
Registered Member

for alot of people it depends what they want to achieve. i have a 5d mk2. why did i go with canon? the mp e-65. nikon currently offers no alternative. if your after 1:1 then the more working distance the better. i use a 180mm lens with gives me 480mm working distance at 1:1. this means that with wider or deeper tanks you can photo things at the back. as someone pointed aperture is very important particularly in reef tanks and sps. also you may find that halides arent enough light and sometimes you need a off camera flash. for interesting photography i like to use the mp e 65 for the 5x mag you can get. although not practical in most aquarium situations but great for flowers. overall you cant go wrong with a 100mm lens. also keep in mind with extension tubes the longer focal lengths arent as effectively magnified. they also severly reduce DOF and light and they remove the infinity focus and reduce working distance.

90g
40g

Current Tank Info: 170g 90g packed with aussie natives highly filtered, 40g a few natives and a few oddballs, i mainly keep predatory fish and 1100g is a pond and has barramundi and mor enatives in it
amehel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2011, 08:19 AM   #52
amehel0
Registered Member

also keep in mind that alot of macro lenses can double up as telephoto or portrait lenses. some of my fav shots are with my 180mm photographing non macro stuff mainly because of its beautiful BOKEH!

90g
40g

Current Tank Info: 170g 90g packed with aussie natives highly filtered, 40g a few natives and a few oddballs, i mainly keep predatory fish and 1100g is a pond and has barramundi and mor enatives in it
amehel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2011, 08:02 AM   #53
route66
Registered Member

I have the cannon rebel hand me down from my husband and a few lens and he loves the ESO 7D with his macro lens. I ask him if that new macro lens would fit my camera he said no. I afraid to take it off his 7D So I just use his camera .LOL

route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/03/2011, 08:13 AM   #54
BlueCorn
Retired

What model is your Rebel?

It's very likely, that he's not telling the truth.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
BlueCorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2011, 08:22 PM   #55
ahebert923
Registered Member

Does anyone have knowledge on any Sony lens? I got a DSLR a few years ago and would LOVE to get great tank shots.

ahebert923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2011, 10:01 PM   #56
wtildens
Registered Member

Just a suggestion, but if your thinking of spend 1000$+ on a lens you might want to check out Lensrental.com. i've used them several times and they are pretty good.

You can get a couple for a few days for under a 100$ (depends on which lens)

hope this helps a bit.

NEW! 180

Current Tank Info: 55G reef
wtildens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2011, 01:17 PM   #57
Ouscazz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett9917 View Post
Well for Canon, the IS means Image Stabilization, so it will correct some errors for you if your hand shakes from trying to hold for a long exposure. That being said, most aquarium shots, you are going to want/ need to use a tripod. Since you will be using a tripod, IS isn't necessary, and in fact, most people say to turn IS off (VR if you are a Nikon guy like me ) when using a tripod.
I would say go for the IS version. Simply because you don't need to use your tripod anymore for shooting aquarium macros. With the IS lens, you are more able to shoot macros "on the fly". I've using one on my EOS 5D and I'm totally thrilled by it's stunning performance.

These were shot a couple of days ago, freehand.

A freehand shot of my bass guitar, pretty narrow DOF.

A freehand shot of a wild Capri lizzard, sharp and detailed.

Ouscazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2011, 01:20 PM   #58
BlueCorn
Retired

You're fooling yourself. All of those shots would have been better with a tripod or some sort of camera support.

You could probably drive your car with your feet if you tried. That doesn't mean you should.

[I]Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made when establishing tonal relationships. ~ Ansel Adams[/I]
Unread 10/23/2011, 01:27 PM   #59
Ouscazz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy View Post
You're fooling yourself. All of those shots would have been better with a tripod or some sort of camera support.
Probably, yes.. but nowadays I don't have to get the Manfrotto out of the closet anymore. Life has become a bit easier, isn't that what it's all about?

Last edited by Ouscazz; 10/23/2011 at 01:36 PM.
Ouscazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2011, 05:13 PM   #60
jim13csulb
Registered Member

My recommendation would be to literally buy the best quality glass you can afford. I use canon L lens and they are magnificent, Nikon has a similar line of professional series lenses. But unless your shooting for magazines, websites, or businesses those are kinda pricey for most needs. I have shot some pics using a tamaron macro. I think it was a 60mm f2. It was actually a really nice lens for what the price is.

The main thing is to simply get away from any kit lens or lens that are not "true" macro. anything with a 1:1 will work wonderfully

jim13csulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/28/2011, 09:29 PM   #61
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim13csulb View Post
Nikon has a similar line of professional series lenses. But unless your shooting for magazines, websites, or businesses those are kinda pricey for most needs.
They are a little more than Canon L lenses, but not by much. I have them and highly recomend them.

Unread 01/24/2012, 12:08 AM   #62
Pufferd300s
Registered Member

Get the nikkor 105mm f/2.5 AIS its one of nikons sharpest lenses it is manual focus though Idk if that would bother u

Pufferd300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2012, 12:10 AM   #63
Pufferd300s
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahebert923 View Post
Does anyone have knowledge on any Sony lens? I got a DSLR a few years ago and would LOVE to get great tank shots.
You can get some really nice Minolta maxxum lenses for a good price

Pufferd300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 07:28 PM   #64
Ferguson1977
Registered Member

I am shopping between the T3i and D5100. Since performance is so similar, I am trying to let the lens decide my decision. The 2 macro lenses I am comparing is the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM versus the Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX ED VR Micro. Both are in the $500 range. I realize the Nikon has VR but that isn't too important for macro on a tripod so my main concern is the f/2.8 versus the f/3.5 lens. I understand the difference but don't have any hands on experience between the 2 settings, so I am trying to find out if there is a big real world difference between shooting at 2.8 versus 3.5? Would I appreciate having the 2.8 or would it not be missed?

Ferguson1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2012, 07:40 PM   #65
BlueCorn
Retired

f/2.8 and f/3.5 are the maximum aperture of the lens. The Canon lens listed allows 2/3rds of a "stop" more light than the Nikon you mentioned. 2/3rds of a stop isn't a lot and could easily be accounted for by adjusting your ISO or shutter speed.

Both of those lenses are very sharp. I wouldn't necessarily base the camera purchase decision, that's going to lock me into a system, on a macro lens. Buy the camera that you "like" more. Really.

Unread 02/07/2012, 08:16 PM   #66
Ferguson1977
Registered Member

Thanks that helps alot as I am preferring the D5100 but was liking the Canon lens as it seemed more flexible.

Unread 02/07/2012, 08:37 PM   #67
Misled
RC Mod

How come you no look at the Nikon 105 2.8 macro????

Unread 02/07/2012, 11:22 PM   #68
Ferguson1977
Registered Member

Because its 1000 dollars lol. I'd like to stay around 400-500 on a macro lens.

Unread 02/08/2012, 08:43 AM   #69
Misled
RC Mod

You can still look into a Sigma 105, or a Tamron 90. I'm not trying to sway you either way, but that's the thing about when you choose a camera body, you lock yourself into a system. For Nikon macros, look at the second post in this thread.

Unread 02/08/2012, 09:09 AM   #70
JBen
Registered Member

When it comes to macro lenses, there really isn't a lot to concern yourself when it comes to Sigma/Tamron/Nikon/Canon. Optically, all are going to be extremely good as any little flaw will be more than apparent. The Sigma 105 and 150mms are some of the most popular macro lenses. Very comparable to the N/C counter parts at much lower price points.

How "fast" do you want/need?...aka f2.8 vs f3.5mm

Well that's a personal preference that no one can really answer for you and for those of us that try...we are "biased" and predisposed based on "our" needs.

I'll admit I'm a fast glass junky. Which means if Im eyeing a lens purchase and I have a choice of getting A) thats f2.8 and B) that's f4 I will usually (not always) favor/want the faster glass and save for it if need be.

While you have options if SS is the concern (bump ISO) there are limits. I do a ton of low light and often stop action in low light so thats important. Then to I use filters a lot so again the faster the lens when I add a filter Im left with a higher SS all else equal. I also really enjoy the options for DoF and artistic choices faster glass affords. While you can replicate this in post there are limits. Basically when eyeing the Canon 24-105 f4 L and the Canon 24-70 f2.8 L I opted for the faster f2.8 because I felt ultimately it would give me more options and more options/choice the more power I have. However as I said, I am heavily biased both in terms personal preference and need.

"but"
With Macros, unless you are using for things other than Macro photography (and you will) having glass that fast is almost immaterial because you will almost always be at f11 and lower.

So how often would you open a macro lens to f2.8?
Not very.If Ive shot 10,000 images with my macro Im willing to bet less than 50 were shot at f4 or wider.

JBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2012, 12:25 PM   #71
Ferguson1977
Registered Member

Thanks JBen for that well worded response. It made perfect sense to me and clarified some concerns I was having.

Unread 02/09/2012, 09:40 AM   #72
laxing22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBen View Post
So how often would you open a macro lens to f2.8?
Not very.If Ive shot 10,000 images with my macro Im willing to bet less than 50 were shot at f4 or wider.
I have a question here then. With Macro, I (and seems like many) like the Bokeh / narrow DOF shooting with a fast macro. Do you notice a loss in bokeh shooting at the slower stops?

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want" - Calvin

Current Tank Info: 75g reef lit with 6 48" T5's of many colors
laxing22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2012, 09:48 AM   #73
BlueCorn
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxing22 View Post
I have a question here then. With Macro, I (and seems like many) like the Bokeh / narrow DOF shooting with a fast macro. Do you notice a loss in bokeh shooting at the slower stops?
Bokeh is a a function by depth of field. As you stop down the lens, your DOF increases. With additional DOF, those specular highlights come into focus; eliminating bokeh. Anything that changes your DOF impacts your bokeh.

Unread 02/09/2012, 09:52 AM   #74
BlueCorn
Retired

I often use bokeh to create a pleasing background. This image, at f/16 would've looked completely different.

http://www.binaryemulsion.com/wordpr...-merced-river/

Unread 03/06/2012, 09:54 PM   #75
flyfisher2
Registered Member

Canon L series all the way... I switched from Nikon film to Canon DSLR several years ago and don't regret it. I read rave reviews on the Nikon bodies but you can't knock Canon glass. The L series is great.

My 24-70 lives on the 5D mark II. Awesome portraits. Very nice bokeh BlueCorn.

flyfisher2 is offline   Reply With Quote