Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself > The R3CA Project
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/08/2016, 12:25 PM   #1
Ghost25
Registered Member

Cheap probes for common ions and parameters?

I would like to monitor as many parameters as possible electronically rather than relying on colorimetric assays. Hanna has a number of handheld checkers that test phosphate, calcium, alkalinity, nitrite, etc. Each unit is about $50, surely each of these is just a relatively simple probe with some basic signal processing and an LCD.

Has anyone been able to locate these probes OEM or Chinese knockoffs of them? I tried Alibaba and eBay but had little luck. I'm sure if the Chinese made these probes alone they could be had for $10-$15 each.

EDIT: Just realizing that the Hanna checkers are actually colorimeters...

Does anyone have experience with UV-Vis spectroscopic methods for detecting compounds of interest? They're probably not optically active.

Last edited by Ghost25; 07/08/2016 at 12:42 PM.
Ghost25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2016, 04:10 PM   #2
WLachnit
Registered Member

Well....unfortunately, colorimetric methods typically employ a specific reaction that will change a chromophore's optical properties. The alternative of an absorbable measurement (using a molar extinction coefficient) typically requires a relatively pure sample. So, ion selective probes are the best bet, but they tend to drift over time and need to be recalibrated on a regular basis.

Last edited by WLachnit; 08/13/2016 at 04:34 PM.
WLachnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2016, 08:26 PM   #3
Ghost25
Registered Member

Yeah, now that I've had my tank running for a while I've come to realize that the parameters I would really want to measure are temperature, salinity, carbonate hardness, and maybe nitrates.

Unfortunately determining carbonate hardness is difficult though it is possible. Nitrate can probably be measured by ISE.

Ghost25 is offline   Reply With Quote