Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself > The R3CA Project
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2006, 10:47 AM   #26
perpetual98
Registered Member

I've used mouser.com and jameco.com for some of my parts sourcing, but not wire. We sell wire where I work, but nothing that small unfortunately. Get me some manufacturer part number and stuff that you're after. My sister works for a cable harness manufacturer and I also have some other contact that may be able to help.

Eric

Unread 06/07/2006, 10:54 AM   #27
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Thanks Eric.. when I get home this afternoon I will gather up what I can. You would think that companies would sell grab bags of wire cut offs. Most of the stuff I need is 24" or less in length.

I use mouser and jameco sometimes as well. Surpluss sales of nebraska and allelectronics are great too. Newark.com has great prices lately. Digikey is expensive but has some oddball stuff.

Here is a link to the best serach engine I have found

http://www.findchips.com/

Put a part number in and it will tell you who has it!

BeanAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2006, 01:11 PM   #28
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
Where did you source the relays? Cost?

I see you decided to avoid the SSRs

You need a bigger box to fit wire duct in there and make it look cleaner (and bigger!). I saw some 4'x6' nema 4 boxes on ebay the other day. Maybe you could squeeze the stuff into one of them

Nice job gresh... I am etching boards for my controller today (though I found a few small errors and may need to etch again (I hate patching with jumber wires).

Wanna split a box of wire duct from eBay?
Yah, since I needed some Icecubes, I just went with all Icecubes for a cleaner look

Hmm, bigger

Got a link to the wire duct, I may be interested

The relays I got from automationdirect.com (IIRC, I'll check later for sure) for about $10 w/ base and filter. Bight be more like $11, but they were pretty cheap from this place.

What type of wire should I run for my floatswitches? I have 2 pair 24awg solid core w/ sheilding right now. Will that be fine?

I may be down on splitting wire as well, lets take this to email

GreshamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2006, 01:12 PM   #29
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BeanAnimal
Thanks Eric.. when I get home this afternoon I will gather up what I can. You would think that companies would sell grab bags of wire cut offs. Most of the stuff I need is 24" or less in length.

I use mouser and jameco sometimes as well. Surpluss sales of nebraska and allelectronics are great too. Newark.com has great prices lately. Digikey is expensive but has some oddball stuff.

Here is a link to the best serach engine I have found

http://www.findchips.com/

Put a part number in and it will tell you who has it!
Jameco is a local supply house for me Gotta love will call

I use all the others mentioned above as well

Unread 06/07/2006, 05:38 PM   #30
H20ENG
Pro builder/aquarist hack

I like those relays except for one thing: you cannot look inside to inspect the contacts for burning, etc. They are handy for troubleshooting, a quick test, etc.
I have used automation direct a few times and they are consistently the cheapest. I have yet to be disappointed in any of their products, too. I like the relay bases and the matching plug-in MOVs (or diodes).
Make sure the relay is seated good in the socket. I had one running a halide (I know, it should have been a lighting contactor ) that one of the relay pins started to heat up from my not seating it all the way. Give them a good wiggle to get some fresh metal to metal contact.
Heckuva day you have planned, wiring it all up

H20ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2006, 05:57 PM   #31
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by H20ENG
I like those relays except for one thing: you cannot look inside to inspect the contacts for burning, etc. They are handy for troubleshooting, a quick test, etc.
I have used automation direct a few times and they are consistently the cheapest. I have yet to be disappointed in any of their products, too. I like the relay bases and the matching plug-in MOVs (or diodes).
Make sure the relay is seated good in the socket. I had one running a halide (I know, it should have been a lighting contactor ) that one of the relay pins started to heat up from my not seating it all the way. Give them a good wiggle to get some fresh metal to metal contact.
Heckuva day you have planned, wiring it all up
Thanks for the tips I did see how easy it could be for them not to be seated all the way, it's definitly something I'll keep an eye on.

For wiring it up, I figured I'd call in a few favors with people, whatchyah doing this weekend (just kidding, I have a BAR meeting to attend on sat and I work sun)

Unread 06/07/2006, 07:34 PM   #32
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Boxes of 1" duct go on sale on ebay all the time. It's like $250 for 30 6' pieces or something... beat $650s at graybar though.

I will have to dig out my BOM that I compiled a while back.

I am fed up with the limitations of EAGLE PCB and the fact that it corrupts files at the drop of a hat and is limited to a 3" x 4" board.. I need to find a better "free" PCB package. I used PROTEL but am not goin got pay $5000 to DIY some boards

WIth regards to the wire, yeah we will need to talk. It may take me a few days to finish some of these jobs up and have some free time. PM me and we can take this to email (or another thread). The shielded wire should be fine for the float switches.

I plan on running #18 for my 5A relay outputs inside the panel. NEC says you can do it as long as there is suitable overcurrent protection that can not be "replaced" with a higher value. I plan on using 5A push button breakers like you would find on a power strip.

Bean

Unread 06/07/2006, 08:09 PM   #33
H20ENG

Man I work Sunday too. If you and I could get together, we'd finally get a bunch of stuff finished

Bean,
Automation Direct has the wire duct, too. Not sure if its competitive, though. They started carrying it right after I ordered a big box of stuff from them, then had to get the duct from mcmaster.

Unread 06/08/2006, 06:53 AM   #34
perpetual98
Registered Member

We sell Iboco duct and another kind at work. I might be able to get you guys a deal.

Eric

Unread 06/15/2006, 10:30 AM   #35
nyvp
Registered Member

anyone willing to build one for someone else? Pm if you are.

nyvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2006, 07:52 PM   #36
Nathan4Wvu
Do you like Phil Collins?

Man that thing is sweet!! MORE MORE MORE PICS!!

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon mixed reef
Nathan4Wvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2006, 08:15 AM   #37
easttn
Premium Member

Gresham,

I have your last piece of code for the GUI, PM when you would like to do a trade.

Its not a hostage situation.

Thanks,
Charles

HONOR.......Simply put, A VETERAN - whether Active Duty, Retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "Up to and including my life." That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that. --Author Unknown--

Current Tank Info: Maintenance Free
easttn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2006, 10:17 AM   #38
GreshamH
Registered Member

Sounds like it though

"we've got your code, hand over the frags of the code get's it"

If I send the frags now, I'll be wiped out of any of that lineage, and that ain't gonna happen. You got to give me more time bro, that list was fricken 4 pages long and contained all named corals known to man, and some that aren't I've aquired a few, and have been promised some from others, but work has been keeping down from doing the actual trading

Unread 07/06/2006, 10:07 PM   #39
easttn
Premium Member

Gresham,

It was a wish list. 30% would be awesome, you have other stuff I'll never find in TN. Please don't try to complete the list, I did this for fun not greed.

C

HONOR.......Simply put, A VETERAN - whether Active Duty, Retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "Up to and including my life." That is HONOR, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that. --Author Unknown--

Unread 07/07/2006, 04:07 AM   #40
GreshamH
Registered Member

No worries, no one person could complete that list Your more then right about other stuff that you won't find in TN though We're the great Cali coral filter out here, especially the crowd I run in

Unread 07/07/2006, 09:36 AM   #41
easttn
Premium Member

Take as long as you need. When you need the code just ask.

C

Unread 10/18/2006, 07:08 PM   #42
H20ENG

Gresham,
HOWZIT? Get it running? I pull mine out of the box once in awhile and get frustrated. I need to really crunch this manual and get it going.

Unread 10/20/2006, 10:54 AM   #43
GreshamH
Registered Member

It's not I still need to by the wire, wire ducting and some terminal blocks. I was just going to get a bunch of mini termianl blocks that are din rail mountable, but now I'm looking at simply getting a few "euro" style blocks and be done with it. That way I don't have to buy 150 just so I can have 3 colors

We need to spend some time together, there's seveal things I need help with (acrylic and electronics). When's a good time for you

Unread 10/20/2006, 10:59 AM   #44
perpetual98
Registered Member

GreshamH, speck out what you need for terminal blocks and whatnot and PM it to me. I work at an Allen-Bradley distributor and can get you terminal blocks in smaller quantities.

Eric

Unread 10/20/2006, 10:40 PM   #45
easttn
Premium Member

Jeeezee I give up.

Unread 10/20/2006, 11:45 PM   #46
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by easttn
Jeeezee I give up.
Ahhh man, don't give up so easy. I a mear few months away from geting this puppy running now

Really though. Work has been 110% for 8 months and that push just ended. I have a few months now to get my stuff in order, before I'm off to the trenches (nation wide LFS tour ) )

Unread 10/20/2006, 11:46 PM   #47
GreshamH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by perpetual98
GreshamH, speck out what you need for terminal blocks and whatnot and PM it to me. I work at an Allen-Bradley distributor and can get you terminal blocks in smaller quantities.

Eric
I'll put a list together then, thanks

Unread 11/02/2006, 05:49 PM   #48
Squiddy
Premium Member

How many terminals do you need? I have a bunch of Phoenix Contact terminal blocks like this:

I don't know if you have seen this kind before but they come as single blocks that are din mountable. There are 8 blocks in that picture above. I could send you some depending on how many you need.

J.

Squiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/23/2006, 12:42 AM   #49
easttn
Premium Member

No giving up. Just that you need to have this to accept the next projectc.

How's it going my friend.

Happy T-Day.

Chaz

Unread 11/23/2006, 01:42 AM   #50
BeanAnimal
Registered Member

Yum Yum... cheap AB parts in small quantities.... I smell a side business for Eric.

Bean