Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/14/2009, 03:13 PM   #1
fatdaddy
Registered Member

Eheim Feeder

I have 2 of these feeders:

Eheim 3581 "Feed-Air" Digital Automatic Feeder
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...fm?pcatid=4460

However, I find one of them goes into a "blinking state" where the time just blinks and it doesn't seem to dispense food. If I pull the batteries out for a minute, I can then reset it and get it working again. However, it seems to go on the fritz again after a few days.

I've tried new batteries. There seems to be plenty of clearance for the hopper to rotate, so I'm starting to think it's just this feeder. Any ideas?

Unread 12/14/2009, 03:31 PM   #2
sharky334
Registered Member

I have one of these and it works fine. Maybe some water got into it??? Or maybe it is a defective unit. How long ago did you buy it? Also, here is the manual in case you don't have it, but I did not see a Troubleshooting section: http://www.eheim.com/base/eheim/pdf/...eeder_3581.pdf

sharky334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2009, 03:35 PM   #3
fatdaddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky334 View Post
I have one of these and it works fine. Maybe some water got into it??? Or maybe it is a defective unit. How long ago did you buy it? Also, here is the manual in case you don't have it, but I did not see a Troubleshooting section: http://www.eheim.com/base/eheim/pdf/...eeder_3581.pdf

Thanks for the manual. I googled for it, but couldn't find it. It seems that it thinks it has low batteries. Hm,.... maybe a problem with the contacts.

Unread 12/14/2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Blownsvt
Moved On

i have one of those. worked great until i knocked it into the tank. Now the timers and stuff work but the motor will not turn the hopper to dispense food.

How did you guys set yours up on the tank?

Blownsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2009, 04:08 PM   #5
sharky334
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
Thanks for the manual. I googled for it, but couldn't find it. It seems that it thinks it has low batteries. Hm,.... maybe a problem with the contacts.
No problem, good luck with it. Have you checked it with a voltmeter? Might be able to see if you have a bad contact that way.

sharky334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2009, 07:07 PM   #6
fatdaddy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownsvt View Post
i have one of those. worked great until i knocked it into the tank. Now the timers and stuff work but the motor will not turn the hopper to dispense food.

How did you guys set yours up on the tank?
Zip ties are your friend.

I have one zip tied to the middle support. It's not ideal, but I can move it enough that I can see the display. I created a cross tie good enough that I can't easily knock it in the water.

The other one is zip tied to a plastic clamp that I had from another feeder that took a swim and died.

Unread 12/14/2009, 07:16 PM   #7
Blownsvt
Moved On

thats what i was thinking about doing the next time around. I liked the feeder so i will likely jsut buy a new one.

Blownsvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/14/2009, 07:33 PM   #8
danielsreef
Registered Member

Had the same issue as you described when my batteries completely died. Once I replaced the batteries I had to reprogram the feeding cycles and then it took off. Give that a shot, hope it works!

danielsreef is offline   Reply With Quote