Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Reply
Thread Tools
Old 12/16/2009, 10:36 AM   #1
solRNY
Registered Member
 
solRNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: syracuse, ny
Posts: 1,420
a miracle delivery... need advice

well, after weeks of deciding what to get my lovely wife for this xmas... i placed a call to miracles, got talking to dereck s. and he assured me if i placed my order the tank will be on the truck the following monday + 2 day shipping, therefore the tank will be here on xmas eve! dereck was very helpful in providing me with details i needed, and very responsive to my emails, with his help the sketch was complete and forwarded.

got talking more to dereck and he mentions about off loading the tank + crate (~400lbs), so here is my problem, how the heck do i do that? i think serveral poeple here on URS has order tanks from miracle before, if you can give me some advice it would be much appreciated.

I am looking for advice on how to off load the crate, what tools I need, should i put together some tank stand with wheels, do i need those suction cups things?

I am also looking for people willing to help on xmas eve, as of now i dont know the delivery time on that day, got to beleive it some time in the morning, as it become closer I will have a better idea. I have some beginner frags I can give or cash. If you commit to helping out, I appreicated if you dont back out on the day.

I live in brewerton, a few miles north of syracuse.

Thanks,
-Lang


solRNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 11:41 AM   #2
pimpinitup6969
Registered Member
 
pimpinitup6969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Elmira, Ny
Posts: 2,503
a engine hoist might be an option? what are the dimensions on the tank?


__________________
I'd rather burp and taste it than fart and waste it!

Current Tank Info: 125 Gallon, 150 Gallon
pimpinitup6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 11:50 AM   #3
jaybfresh
Pitcher Hill Reef Society
 
jaybfresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,597
I would guess lots of manpower would be the easiest!

I hope they stick to their delivery schedule... mine was at least a month late, but they never gave me a solid ship date like they gave you.


__________________
-J-

Current Tank Info: 80g shallow mixed reef
jaybfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 12:42 PM   #4
captain7359
Registered Member
 
captain7359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Irondequoit, NY
Posts: 2,182
Will the truck have a lift gate to get the crate to ground level or will the crate have to be picked off the truck? What are the dims of the tank and tank weight alone? If there is no lift gate and the trucker is patient (or tipped $$) you can uncrate the tank in the truck and lighten it up. 400# is pushing it for just 2 strong guys, but 4 guys fumbling with a tank is just as dangerous, so you may want to look at borrowing, or making some furniture mover dollies. if you work with suction cups make sure they are good ones (rental from a glass shop??) because the harbor freight ones will just pop off at times and that spells catastrophe. Make sure you have a drill and bits along with hammer and prybar ready to un crate the beast as well. Best of luck and so long as you take your time, you'll be fine however you move it.


captain7359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 01:19 PM   #5
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member
 
Gary Majchrzak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 41,560
engine hoist?

3 strong guys and one wimpy one should be able to move a #400 aquarium.
Talk to Dereck and get specifics of the delivery truck (liftgate etc.) like Walter mentioned. Are they using Cavalier? Give the driver incentive (ie: cash) and I'm sure he'll help.

I've been to Brewerton and it's far away from where I'll be on Christmas eve (or any other day of the year!) or I'd consider helping. Are you sure they're delivering on Christmas Eve? It sounds like a hokey delivery date.


__________________
over 24 years experience with multiple types of marine aquarium systems
*see Upstate Reef Society Forum on RC and FB* GOOGLE JUNIOR'S REEF

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 01:23 PM   #6
Capt_Cully
Registered Member
 
Capt_Cully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 13,574
Lang, I feel your pain. Ain't easy getting people over to lift 300+# tanks...even if you trick them! I'd love to help you out but my schedule isn't as lax as it used to be. On top of that I'm working Xmas eve anyway. Keep me posted on whats going on with it. I'll help if I can dude.


__________________
People say cars are a bad investment. Those people don't have reef tanks.

Current Tank Info: 120, Radion Gen 2 Pro x 2
Capt_Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Flanders
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 3,592
if it moves to a different day I might be able to help but xmas eve is out of the question.


__________________
Insert witty phrase, followed by explosive laughter

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon reef, two 175-watt MH, two vho actinic
Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 01:50 PM   #8
EllieSuz
Premium Member
 
EllieSuz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 3,858
I would consider hiring professionals to assist you. Either movers or perhaps glass shop workers used to working with glass. It's a good time of the year for guys to have the incentive to make a few extra bucks. Make a few phone calls once you have a better idea of time of day for the delivery.


EllieSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 01:59 PM   #9
pisces4u
Registered Member
 
pisces4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: rochester, NY
Posts: 433
Too far for us to come out, but congratz on the new tank setup!


pisces4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 07:45 PM   #10
solRNY
Registered Member
 
solRNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: syracuse, ny
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpinitup6969 View Post
a engine hoist might be an option? what are the dimensions on the tank?
--i looked at the engine hoist as an option, never operated one, seen them for sale at harbor frieght but they are horizontal mount, not quite sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybfresh View Post
I would guess lots of manpower would be the easiest!
I hope they stick to their delivery schedule... mine was at least a month late, but they never gave me a solid ship date like they gave you.
--i am thinking the same, lots of manpower. Did you have to provide your SN# for US Customs? I hate giving away that 9 digit#, sorta make me feel vulrnerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Majchrzak View Post
3 strong guys and one wimpy one should be able to move a #400 aquarium. Talk to Dereck and get specifics of the delivery truck (liftgate etc.) like Walter mentioned. Are they using Cavalier? Give the driver incentive (ie: cash) and I'm sure he'll help.

I've been to Brewerton and it's far away from where I'll be on Christmas eve (or any other day of the year!) or I'd consider helping. Are you sure they're delivering on Christmas Eve? It sounds like a hokey delivery date.
--at the moment i am missing the 3 strong guys, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Cully View Post
Lang, I feel your pain. Ain't easy getting people over to lift 300+# tanks...even if you trick them! I'd love to help you out but my schedule isn't as lax as it used to be. On top of that I'm working Xmas eve anyway. Keep me posted on whats going on with it. I'll help if I can dude.
--thanks mark, i know you have your hands full now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
if it moves to a different day I might be able to help but xmas eve is out of the question.
--thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieSuz View Post
I would consider hiring professionals to assist you. Either movers or perhaps glass shop workers used to working with glass. It's a good time of the year for guys to have the incentive to make a few extra bucks. Make a few phone calls once you have a better idea of time of day for the delivery.
--thanks for the advice EllieSuz, i think i will place another call tomorrow afternoon, just hope it doesnt cost me another arm... it just cant be cheaper than frags

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisces4u View Post
Too far for us to come out, but congratz on the new tank setup!
--thanks aaron



--I talked to dereck agian today, he assures me the tank will be ready by monday for shipping. they had already cut and polished the glass, and will assembly the tank tomorrow. Seem like everything is moving forward real quick... he sounds like a straight forward guy, at themoment i have no reason not to believe him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain7359 View Post

Will the truck have a lift gate to get the crate to ground level or will the crate have to be picked off the truck? If there is no lift gate and the trucker is patient (or tipped $$) you can uncrate the tank in the truck and lighten it up. 400# is pushing it for just 2 strong guys, but 4 guys fumbling with a tank is just as dangerous, so you may want to look at borrowing, or making some furniture mover dollies. if you work with suction cups make sure they are good ones (rental from a glass shop??) because the harbor freight ones will just pop off at times and that spells catastrophe.
--talked to dereck some more regarding how to off load, told me that it will be in a highway truck something like 50ft long , there is no lift gate, the height of the truck deck is ~4ft high, the crate + tank = ~400lbs, tank alone is ~250lbs. uncrating the tank seems reasonable, i am worry about things getting wet and slippery in this weather, and that i have never used suction cups before... with a crate tank i have something to grip but just insanly heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain7359 View Post

What are the dims of the tank and tank weight alone?
--the tank is 3x3x2, which wont fit thru my door, sigh... another issue.. guess i have to invert it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain7359 View Post

Make sure you have a drill and bits along with hammer and prybar ready to un crate the beast as well. Best of luck and so long as you take your time, you'll be fine however you move it.
--usually use a screwdriver to pry things, guess i need something more heavy duty, gonna pick up some dollies as well from harbor frieght


--thank you all for the advice,
--lang


solRNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 08:09 PM   #11
AaronReef
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 262
If the tank is only 250, I'd consider just using two strong guys. Four people trying to move a tank gets very stressful, too many feet!

In terms of not having a lift gate, if you have a friend with a pickup truck, back it up to the semi, uncrate the tank, load it into the small truck, and then back that up to your door. We do it all the time with pallets of lumber. A few bucks to the driver will get you patience, and most likely even help.

Good luck!


__________________
"If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water."

Current Tank Info: 180 and 75 Gallon reefs, both built in, and a very tolerant Wife!
AaronReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 08:11 PM   #12
Johnny C
Registered Member
 
Johnny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 4,140
Let Derek know your situation and ask him for his advice... +1 to just needing a few strong hands. Though as you see it's not going to be easy to ask people to commit on Christmas Eve. Either way, that's one helluva present. Congrats!


__________________
"...the sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonders forever" -Jacques Cousteau
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2009, 08:26 PM   #13
acdraindrps
Registered Member
 
acdraindrps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: buffalo, ny
Posts: 2,275
It will probably end up costing you about a case of beer and maybe some wings or a pizza.

Call a few buddies!


acdraindrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 04:03 AM   #14
solRNY
Registered Member
 
solRNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: syracuse, ny
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronReef View Post
If the tank is only 250, I'd consider just using two strong guys. Four people trying to move a tank gets very stressful, too many feet!

In terms of not having a lift gate, if you have a friend with a pickup truck, back it up to the semi, uncrate the tank, load it into the small truck, and then back that up to your door. We do it all the time with pallets of lumber. A few bucks to the driver will get you patience, and most likely even help.

Good luck!
--sounds like an excellent idea! gonna think about it in terms of using a small suv... sure saves alot of manpower driving the tank up the 30ft driveway to the door... thanks!


solRNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 04:43 AM   #15
acdraindrps
Registered Member
 
acdraindrps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: buffalo, ny
Posts: 2,275
A 250g Miracles tank is going to weigh a good amount. Two guys could probably do it, but not for too long of a distance I would bet. Good luck sol.


acdraindrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 05:42 AM   #16
backdraft79
Registered Member
 
backdraft79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 1,442
Do you know anyone with a dock at work or a shop with a fork lift?


__________________
Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed. Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will be well.

Mohandas Gandhi

Current Tank Info: 90RR with custom stand, canopy and cabnet. More to be added
backdraft79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 05:54 AM   #17
jaybfresh
Pitcher Hill Reef Society
 
jaybfresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdraindrps View Post
A 250g Miracles tank is going to weigh a good amount. Two guys could probably do it, but not for too long of a distance I would bet. Good luck sol.
I think its 250 pounds... not gallons. My tank I would guess weighed around 200 and it was easy with 2 men. If you are gonna invert it to get through the door a 3rd might be useful to keep it pointing up. I'm close but like the rest, will most likely be gone on Xmas Eve. Any idea on a time of day for the delivery?


__________________
-J-

Current Tank Info: 80g shallow mixed reef
jaybfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 06:07 AM   #18
solRNY
Registered Member
 
solRNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: syracuse, ny
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdraindrps View Post
A 250g Miracles tank is going to weigh a good amount. Two guys could probably do it, but not for too long of a distance I would bet. Good luck sol.
--thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdraft79 View Post
Do you know anyone with a dock at work or a shop with a fork lift?
--i have thought about this, where i work they have all that here but i am sure they will not allow me to use it, due to the kinda work that goes on here at LMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybfresh View Post
I think its 250 pounds... not gallons. My tank I would guess weighed around 200 and it was easy with 2 men. If you are gonna invert it to get through the door a 3rd might be useful to keep it pointing up. I'm close but like the rest, will most likely be gone on Xmas Eve. Any idea on a time of day for the delivery?
--dereck said the tank weights ~ 250lbs, me and my bro had carry a 120gal long just by ourselve, be great to know what that tank weighed, any ideas?
--dereck said i wont know about shipping till monday,

--i think now i have a much better idea, knowing the 120gal long weight will bring me closer to a possible solution. thanks all!


solRNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 06:07 AM   #19
captain7359
Registered Member
 
captain7359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Irondequoit, NY
Posts: 2,182
If you're moving it to the back of an suv just leave it there for a few days till you can get help. Or you could just back up quick and slam on the brakes.


captain7359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 08:44 AM   #20
superkat
Premium Member
 
superkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: rochester, ny
Posts: 4,280
Blog Entries: 88
ummmmm, back up and slam on brakes? oh, that's excellent advice. I'll bring my baseball mitt.....too funny.


__________________
“Sometimes it's necessary to go a long distance out of the way in order to come back a short distance correctly”
~ Edward Albee, The Zoo Story
superkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 09:13 AM   #21
captain7359
Registered Member
 
captain7359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Irondequoit, NY
Posts: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by solRNY View Post
--thanks!


--i think now i have a much better idea, knowing the 120gal long weight will bring me closer to a possible solution. thanks all!
http://www.thekrib.com/TankHardware/size-chart.html

125 gallon is ~236#


captain7359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 09:29 AM   #22
acdraindrps
Registered Member
 
acdraindrps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: buffalo, ny
Posts: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybfresh View Post
I think its 250 pounds... not gallons. My tank I would guess weighed around 200 and it was easy with 2 men. If you are gonna invert it to get through the door a 3rd might be useful to keep it pointing up. I'm close but like the rest, will most likely be gone on Xmas Eve. Any idea on a time of day for the delivery?
Oops thanks I missed that. Two guys should be plenty.


acdraindrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 09:54 AM   #23
Capt_Cully
Registered Member
 
Capt_Cully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 13,574
Man Lang, I feel for you. Keep me posted. Primarily because I want to see the tank.

What are you doing for a stand and canopy??


__________________
People say cars are a bad investment. Those people don't have reef tanks.

Current Tank Info: 120, Radion Gen 2 Pro x 2
Capt_Cully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 10:41 AM   #24
solRNY
Registered Member
 
solRNY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: syracuse, ny
Posts: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain7359 View Post
--hmmm, thinking about it... i think there was actually 4 guys, me , my bro, the driver, and i have to count my dad, i think he helped. data is very useful, thanks! at the moment i have 3 whimpy guys + driver, i think we can handle this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Cully View Post
Man Lang, I feel for you. Keep me posted. Primarily because I want to see the tank.
What are you doing for a stand and canopy??
--at the moment i dont have any clue, going to put the tank on some DIY stand for the time being and do some more thinking.


solRNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2009, 10:43 AM   #25
Haffs09
Registered Member
 
Haffs09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 924
Good luck with the move! I know how stressful it is planning for a tank delivery. When I received my tank from Miracles, I was fortunate I had access to a loading dock at my father-in-laws work. We loaded it onto a 4x8 trailer and took it home. It my house, I had prebuild a cart, and it just so happened to work out that the height of the cart was only an inch lower than the bottom of the tank when it was uncrated. I used those cheapo suction cup holders from Harbor freight, and with 8 guys, we slid it off the trailer onto my cart. I calculated the tank to weigh ~740lbs. That seemed high to me, but with your tank dimensions and excluding any eurobracing, I get ~215lbs for your tank using the same formula...so it must be right.

My crate had a zillion screws in it, so bring a couple of drills and extra bits. Bring a couple of square bits too. At least with my crate, they secured the bottom plywood to 4x4's with 4" long screws that required the square bits.

Good luck!


Haffs09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:00 AM.


TapaTalk Enabled

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2021 Axivo Inc.
Use of this web site is subject to the terms and conditions described in the user agreement.
Reef CentralTM Reef Central, LLC. Copyright ©1999-2014
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.