Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2010, 09:22 AM   #1
williah
Registered Member

advice on vinegar to clean chiller

I'm thinking about using a vinegar solution, circulating through my chiller in a closed loop, to clean it out. It's been a year at least since I got it and did anything other than a surface cleaning.

Just wanted to do a quick check of opinions on this. This sound safe? Anyone have ideas about corrosion or better ways to clean it out?

Thanks.

Current Tank Info: 72 gal bowfront: coral & fish
williah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2010, 09:26 AM   #2
troyman
Registered Member

its what i do equal parts of vinegar and water i let it sit in the a couple hours or so then flush it out with garden house the high pressure water loosens anything thats in there

troyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2010, 09:39 AM   #3
r-balljunkie
Registered Reefer

You should be fine, straight vinegar. Tubes are titanium.

r-balljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/09/2010, 12:32 PM   #4
99sf
Registered Member

I recently did this with a 1/10 HP chiller that I bought. Took a 5 gallon bucket with a mixture of tapwater & vinegar, placed the chiller pump inside, and ran the closed loop for about an hour. The water in the bucket was pretty nasty. After running the vinegar, I had to keep filling & manually dumping the water out of the reservoir inside the chiller to remove the remaining detritus.

99sf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2010, 03:05 PM   #5
williah
Registered Member

Thanks! I'm at it this weekend. Figure I'll get the powerheads at the same time.

Current Tank Info: 72 gal bowfront: coral & fish
williah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2010, 04:53 PM   #6
MrSandman
Team RC Member

I heated up some vinegar in the microwave to make it very very warm. Then i filled the chiller's heat exchanger with it at 100% concentration and let it sit for about an hour. After that i did a reverse flush of the system with very hot water and more fresh vinegar. I used just enough water so as not to dilute the vinegar too much but yet have the pump maintain flow without running dry. On the tube where the water is coming out from the chiller, put a mesh filter bag on the end to catch the solids. This way you can flush the crap out of it and not worry about recycling it back through.

After the vinegar flush, just run it with more fresh hot water until the water coming out is clear of debris.

Current Tank Info: 112G 36"x36"x20" Lee-mar rimless. Build Thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2293182.
MrSandman is offline   Reply With Quote