PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP! Newbie with 29g BioCube looking for answers.

Jimmy da Cucch
11/19/2010, 02:28 AM
I had a freshwater tank (12g Eclipse) a few years ago and did well with it. Learned a lot, but always though a saltwater was too hard to attempt. Then we moved, so I sold the tank and now finally got a new home the the family wanted an aquarium in an empty corner in our living room. I have 3 kids and want something very colorful. I was happy to get back into it and like the simplicity of an AIO, so I narrowed it down to the 29g BioCube as our choice. As I started looking around I noticed you could do a small salt tank in this setup and decided to give it a whirl. I'm looking at doing a FOWLR setup I am not at all experienced with saltwater setups, so any advice is appreciated, I love to learn.

I will walk you through my setup so far and if I screwed anything up royally, please tell me.

1. Got the tank, 100w heater, 40lbs, Live Sand (Aragonite) from CaribSea, Instant Ocean salt, tap water conditioner, all at Petsmart.
2. Got the tank put together and filled with conditioned tap, heated and maintained at 75° (had to put the heater in the pump compartment), and added salt and mixed to perfect 1.024 sg.
3. Didn't know I needed to rinse sand first, so I poured it through the water and made a cloudy mess, (made about a 1.5in. sand bed) but after a few filter rinsings, it cleared up beautifully after 2 days. ( I left the Bioballs in for now and we'll see if I keep them or not).
4. Tank has been cycling for 5 days now.
5. Ordered the stock protein skimmer and UV sterilizer afterwords and just put them in tonight. I even got the skimmer in compartment 1 and fit the filter cartridge in also. Also got the small Magfloat for cleaning.
6. Got a 33g Igloo Cube cooler with wheels and retractable handle to mix my extra water in. I have it filled and mixed with salt, even have a heater and small pump for circulation in it. I'll use it to rinse my LR and later for water change water. (I'll take water out of my BioCube and pump new water through tubing, using my mini pump out of the cooler, back into the BioCube).
7. Ordered 25lbs of LR for CoralReefFarm.com (exceptional customer service. I e-mailed them my LR questions and Jeff called me the next day first thing, he handpicked a mixture of rock and even chose pieces that would fit to build the small arch I was wanting to do. He answered all my questions, and the price was fantastic, $175 with $30 for 3 day shipping). Getting it tomorrow. The plan is to rinse it in my extra water and put it right into the tank

So here is my worry!
I started to hear a louder water trickle after I had finished putting in the UV sterilizer in chamber 3 (pump chamber). I looked and noticed a leak from between the false wall of the chamber and the tank wall, right above the min/max fill line window. It seems to be flowing from the main tank area into the pump chamber, but the pump is keeping up without problems (the water is just slightly above the max line by about 1/2in.).

Big Question?
1. Is this a problem? And do I need to panic before my LR gets here tomorrow.

Other Question?
1. Did I screw anything else up or am I missing/forgetting anything?
2. Do I need to put anything on the tray that rests above the bioballs in chamber 2?
3. Wanted to do a FOWLR, but with a few Hawaiian Feather Dusters as well, is this ok?
4. What other critters/inverts would you recommend for show or cleaning purposes (i.e. shrimp, snails, crabs, etc...)?
5. We know we want a clown fish, and I want a colorful wrasse, but other than that, any colorful suggestions (remember colorful is key for the kids)? And how many of each type?
6. I am completely lost on food. How do I feed them, how often, what type of food, etc...? Who make the best food anyway (Hikari, TetraMin, etc...)?
7. Who makes the best water supplements (i.e. Kent, API, etc..)?
8. Keep in mind I don't have a LFS other than Petsmart, so I shop on-line and so far found Dr. Foster & Smith have great prices. But any other suggestions are appreciated for fish, LR, or supplies.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Denbf58
11/19/2010, 06:34 AM
[welcome] check out this sticky by waterkeeper it will answer a lot of your questions take your time and have fun http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1031074

greech
11/19/2010, 09:31 AM
2. Got the tank put together and filled with conditioned tap, heated and maintained at 75° (had to put the heater in the pump compartment), and added salt and mixed to perfect 1.024 sg. I would caution you to not use tap water (even conditioned tap). Using good pure RO/DI (reverse osmosis/deionized) water will likely save you a lot of headaches and just better for the health of your tank.

3. Didn't know I needed to rinse sand first, so I poured it through the water and made a cloudy mess, (made about a 1.5in. sand bed) but after a few filter rinsings, it cleared up beautifully after 2 days. ( I left the Bioballs in for now and we'll see if I keep them or not). If it was bagged live sand, no rinsing was required. It always makes a mess but clears up fairly quickly. Bioballs are not needed with liverock. My vote would be to remove them before you get started.

5. Ordered the stock protein skimmer and UV sterilizer afterwords and just put them in tonight. Good that you have these but don't assume these will replace the need for routine water changes.

6. Got a 33g Igloo Cube cooler with wheels and retractable handle to mix my extra water in. I have it filled and mixed with salt, even have a heater and small pump for circulation in it. I'll use it to rinse my LR and later for water change water. (I'll take water out of my BioCube and pump new water through tubing, using my mini pump out of the cooler, back into the BioCube). Sounds good but don't rinse off your LR is tap or fresh water. Just shake it off in some old SW and add it to your tank/cycling contaiiner.

So here is my worry!
I started to hear a louder water trickle after I had finished putting in the UV sterilizer in chamber 3 (pump chamber). I looked and noticed a leak from between the false wall of the chamber and the tank wall, right above the min/max fill line window. It seems to be flowing from the main tank area into the pump chamber, but the pump is keeping up without problems (the water is just slightly above the max line by about 1/2in.). Does not sound like a huge problem but if the tank is defective I would return it just to be safe. If you do this just drain your water out into your cooler and take the tank back. You can save your sand but if the tank is defective, Petsmart should give you another bag. Other option would be to leave it or drain it down, dry out that spot and add some silicone. You need to let the silicone sit for 48 hours to dry though.

Other Question?
1. Did I screw anything else up or am I missing/forgetting anything? What are you using to measure your specific gravity. If a hydrometer see if a LFS in your area has a refractometer (more accurate) to check it against. Hydrometers are known to be off and IME they are worse right out of the box then after they get some use to them. I'm referring to swing arm type hydrometers. No exeperinece with others.

2. Do I need to put anything on the tray that rests above the bioballs in chamber 2? Again, I would remove the BB's. Not exactaly sure how a the biocube chambers are setup but I think some put carbon, chemipure, purigen and the like there. Google "inTank". They have some good accessories (media trays, etc.). Should give you some ideas on how to best use your rear chambers

3. Wanted to do a FOWLR, but with a few Hawaiian Feather Dusters as well, is this ok? Chances are you will get some mini dusters on your rock initially or over time. But yes, dusters shoudl be fine but check compatability with other livestock you plan to keep.

4. What other critters/inverts would you recommend for show or cleaning purposes (i.e. shrimp, snails, crabs, etc...)? Yep snails (nassarius, cerith, astrea, small turbos, maybe even a fighting conch would are good for cleanup. Don't overdue it though. Can certainly add a decorative shrimp or two.

5. We know we want a clown fish, and I want a colorful wrasse, but other than that, any colorful suggestions (remember colorful is key for the kids)? And how many of each type? Probably limit it to 4 small fish. If a FOWLR look into the Pygmy angels like Cherubs, African Flamebacks. Stock slow!

6. I am completely lost on food. How do I feed them, how often, what type of food, etc...? Who make the best food anyway (Hikari, TetraMin, etc...)? Hikari Mysis, PE Mysis, Formual one and two flake, New Life Spectrum pellets, Rod's food, Roger's food.

7. Who makes the best water supplements (i.e. Kent, API, etc..)? Don't concern yourself with these now. IMO, not needed especially for a nano FOWLR. A good water change routine is what you should be focused on.
8. Keep in mind I don't have a LFS other than Petsmart, so I shop on-line and so far found Dr. Foster & Smith have great prices. But any other suggestions are appreciated for fish, LR, or supplies. F&S is a good place IME.

HTH. Remember to take it slow and research! Welcome to RC and the hobby. Good luck!

Sk8r
11/19/2010, 09:45 AM
[welcome]
Greech has given you excellent answers: the bioballs will definitely be a problem, so just take them out before you get started. The specimens you name won't be hard at all---but don't buy an anemone until your tank is about a year old. They're fragile, prone to snits, and a beginner is bound to make a few water mistakes. I see no mention of a topoff system: a float switch in the display or sump set to turn on a small pump (I use a Maxijet 1200) in a reservoir of fresh water under the stand will keep your salinity bang-on 1.024 and help your specimens live a long and healthy life. The other thing you will need, particularly when dealing with a big-box store like Petsmart, is a quarantine tank---a little saltwater tank you set up temporarily with a simple carbon filter like a freshwater tank, with no sand, however, no rock, no light, just a heater and a piece of pvc pipe for a shelter. That's where you keep your fish for 4 weeks of observation, to be absolutely certain you haven't got a parasite or disease. You CANNOT treat a fish in a marine tank: treatment will kill your tank as fast as it kills the infection or infestation, and parasites can get into your sandbed and live there. So be sure that fish is absolutely clean before it goes in. First thing in your tank will be a cleanup crew of micro-hermits and marine snails. You'll enjoy the hermits' antics. Expect algae---but they'll deal with it.
First, however, get that leak investigated. Better now than later! Perhaps your phone can take a small picture you can use to show the dealer what's going on.

ccsuzy
11/19/2010, 10:10 AM
I have the 29 biocube and here are some ideas for you.

1. If you placed the filter cartridge in the slots, it will cause your water to run over into the pump section as you described. Our solution was to remove it from the slots and just set it in the first section. We also covered the bioballs in the second section with a layer of floss to catch what the cartridge misses because of this.

2. Had trouble controlling the nitrates with the bioballs, so I have removed them and added live rock rubble to that section. I did mine all at once, but you may want to do yours in steps if you already have livestock in the tank. I still cover them with a layer of floss.

3. I have reef in my tank but I have 2 clowns, a firefish, a Bangaii cardinal, and a red scooter blenny (had to teach him to eat other food than pods, he is really a mandarin so probably not the best starter fish for you). They are all happy and get along well.

If you want to pm me I can try to help with other questions based on my experience. My son had this tank before me so I may be able to get help from him also. Good luck!

Borchers
11/19/2010, 10:22 AM
Because your tank is already set up this may not work. A mod that is used is to scrape the paint of Tue glass in the center compartment. JBJ makes a LED fuge light that is mounted with magnets. The you can fill it with LR and cheato. I run a reef in my 29 bio with this mod and it is awesome. You will have to take everything out of the.center compartment. This will also give you a higher water level in the in the return area. There is a lot of threads here in the nano forum.

Jimmy da Cucch
11/19/2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all the info everyone. The consensus seems to be that the leak is not so worrisome, so I'll call Ocean and ask what to do if anything. As far as trying to transfer everything to a new tank, I'm afraid I'd kill my LR I'm getting today by not putting it in right away. How long will LR live without it being in an aquarium? I guess I can put it in my cooler. Just dump alla the sand, rock, and water in there until I get a new tank I guess.

Wish I could get an RO/DI and a refractometer right now, but will have to wait for more cash. For now tap conditioner and a seasoned hydrometer needle for me. Also, a top-off system I would guess, automatically pumps extra saltwater from an extra tank into the aquarium when the water level gets low. I really don't have any room for that where my tank is.

Everyone seems to hate the Bioballs huh? Well if I take them out now, how much LR rubble do I need?

bertoni
11/19/2010, 04:26 PM
25 lbs of live rock should provide a fair amount of filtration by itself, although for a heavier fish load, more would be good. Live rock is highly variable, though. The usual guess is 1-1.5 lbs per gallon of tank capacity, and your setup is very close.

ccsuzy
11/19/2010, 07:28 PM
I bought about 6 pounds of live rubble rock and ended up putting part of it into another tank. Probably no more than 4 pounds, depending on size.

critofer
11/19/2010, 07:48 PM
Hey, an auto topoff pumps FRESH WATER back into the tank. As your water evaporates the salt remains, so when your water level drops from evaporation the salt stays in the tank causing the salinity to rise. To counter that, put freshwater back in the tank to lower the salinity back down and fill your tank back up.

Jimmy da Cucch
11/19/2010, 08:16 PM
I gotchya critofer, so only add conditioned or RO freshwater back, not saltwater, or I'll raise my salinity?

Jimmy da Cucch
11/19/2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the rock estimate ccsuzy!

Jakef150
11/19/2010, 08:35 PM
i agreed with above here..

my 1st and 2nd bio-29 had bad leak :blown: .

If i were you, bring it outside (shed, garage or inside shower stall/bathtub) and fill it up with fresh water from garden hose, leave it overnight and then do inspect for leaking test.

Check out intank mediabasket.. its MOST popular for biocube and nano.

DO NOT RUSH....take it time!

Jimmy da Cucch
11/19/2010, 10:06 PM
Well I decided, the leak is pretty small, and eventually I will get it fixed with some underwater epoxy. In the meantime, I just got my LR and put it in. Hopefully I did it right. Remember I am still starting my cycling, so today is day 6. I unwrapped all the rock, layed it out how I wanted to stack it, and rinsed it in water from the tank and took a small nylon scrub brush and brushed off the excess stuff into another container which I threw out. Then I put it in the tank. Did I do it right?

the LR I received from Coralreeffarm.com was absolutely gorgeous. Jeff got some great pieces he hand selected for me to form an arch. He even handwrote a personal note to me wishiong me luck and to let him know if I needed help with anything. I'll post a pic of the rock as soon as I can, but it looks amazing. Tons of cool stuff still attached, lots of holes for critters to hide and great pours for filtration. He even had some small pieces in there I placed in my bioball compartment. I took out half the balls and added the rubble, as soon as I can get about another 3 lbs of it, I will take the rest of the balls out.

I can't stress enough, how pleased I am with Jeff and The Coral Reef Farm though! I highly recommend them.