PDA

View Full Version : energy bar 8 , what loads on which type outlets ?

j-123
12/15/2010, 01:07 PM
hi ,

got new apex unit , with energy bar 8 .

looks like 2 relay type outlets , and 6 eletronic type control outlets.

i have 58 gal tank, so all loads are fairly small.

question?

can the eletronic plugs control very small loads reliably ? like small aqualift pump.

heater with digital controller, with heater element off then very small power for controll on the digital heater unit.

how many watts or amps is min you would put on electronic outlet.

is there a work around when controling very small loads ?

just trying to get some details on this topic from a while back.

thanks , Joe

schwaggs
12/15/2010, 10:00 PM
Aqualifter does not work for me on the electronic outlets, I had to put it on one of the relay outlets. Low wattage loads with higher power factor (resistive loads) seem to work well on the solid state outlets, it is the lower power factor loads (pumps, etc) that can cause problems. I have a 28 watt water valve and a CO2 solenoid on electronic outlets without problems.

ToLearn
12/15/2010, 10:19 PM
Joe,
I tried to get a specific answer to your one question and it turns out there really isn't one. seems to be that above 5watts is usually ok, 5w and under may work, but never know when it will work and wouldn't count on it to for anything which shutting it off is important.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1946148

In every general terms use 4 and 8 for low wattage devices and the rest for the bigger items. I realize there is a grey area in their, but it is what it is.

j-123
12/15/2010, 10:37 PM
hey thanks for the post .

gives me something to look for.

so if i need to get more mechanical relay type outlets ,

what is most econimical item to purchase ?

thanks again , Joe

r0ck0
12/16/2010, 10:47 AM
What I did was to use an extension cord with two outlets, plugged my aqualifter and a nightlight into the mechanical relay port on the EB8. the added wattage of the nightlight ensures that the pump turns on and off. I have not had an issue. Also the light is a good indicator for when the pump is on and also alerts me if it is stuck on. Hasnt happened yet.

bazineta
12/16/2010, 11:08 AM
The new EB4 module is 4 outlets, all mechanical relays.

RussM
12/16/2010, 07:17 PM
What I did was to use an extension cord with two outlets, plugged my aqualifter and a nightlight into the mechanical relay port on the EB8. the added wattage of the nightlight ensures that the pump turns on and off. Do you mean on a TRIAC-switched outlet? The extra load of a nightlight won't do anything for you on a relay-switched outlet - other than the visual indication, of course.

coralreefhq
12/17/2010, 01:05 PM
Definitely difficult to start out with, looks like it's a trial and error issue.
If there were a map of each outlet and it's abilities that would aid us in the process of configuring the controller.

schwaggs
12/18/2010, 09:31 AM
Read the manual - the map and capabilites of each outlet is spelled out in the manual. The limitation and work arounds for using small loads on the solid state outlets is described in the manual as well.

To summarize: Outlets 1-3 and 5-7 are solid state (Triac) contolled outlets capable of driving loads up to 5 amps. Outlets 4 and 8 are relay contolled and can drive loads up to 10 amps.

j-123
12/18/2010, 11:04 AM
i have only the solid state (Triac) contolled outlets to run some small loads , which are not switching correctly.

so what type device to add load to outlet is easy and inexpensive way ?

i saw something about adding transformer to circ but this seems expensive .

thanks Joe

aquamanic
12/18/2010, 12:05 PM
A small light on a power strip is probably the easiest. even 15w would work.

coralreefhq
12/19/2010, 03:18 PM
But the EB4 is all solid state / manual?

RussM
12/19/2010, 04:16 PM
But the EB4 is all solid state / manual?
No, EB4 is all relay-controlled

coralreefhq
12/19/2010, 07:31 PM
Ok thanks, time to do some more reading.
I've configured it, but haven't fully had it where I want it.