PDA

View Full Version : Driving Tampa Bay Saltwater's liverock Across the Border!

Jiinx
05/21/2015, 09:18 PM
Hi all!
I'm not terribly new to Reefing, but I am new to using a sump and having a proper set up!

I got my 120 G cube set up earlier in April and got it cycled with sand and bacteria seeded from one of my other tanks.

Since seeing d2mini's awesome tank(s), I wanted to give TBS rock a try and have been trying to find an opportunity to go or have someone go for me to fetch my rock!

Well, I finally got a chance to order this amazing rock on Monday and the reviews on this rock is bang on. This rock is just beautiful. There are so many things to look at. It's really from the ocean and it's in my tank! I love it.

So being Canadian I was so nervous about bringing it home. It was fine. There were not any troubles as Richard provides you with all the paper work to declare it!

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj535/Jiinxies/IMG_20150518_152427_zps1qlevd40.jpg

http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj535/Jiinxies/IMG_20150518_152439_zpsklfkkr7s.jpg

The packaging is amazing. I was so blown away with how quickly he put my order together and sent it off on a plane. The boxes were barely wet and everything came in flawlessly.

Thanks, Richard! I hope to get some more one day!
Sarah

liverock
05/22/2015, 09:57 AM
Easy to take live rock into Canada......but only if you drive it across like you did.

I included the Certificate of aquaculture, invoice and copies for Customs.

The customs guy did not even open the rock boxes, or look at the paperwork as my customer did as she should and when asked if she was bringing in anything purchased in the US she responded truthfully...paid a little duty, and was across with the live rock in a flash!

So no worries driving rock home to Canada from the US...just do it correctly and all is well!

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com :beer:

ingtar_shinowa
05/28/2015, 02:14 PM
This is how you do it!

Icefire
05/30/2015, 11:14 PM
Doesn't your rock contain Corals? AFAIK, putting rocks in the ocean to seed them and they become the same live rock as if you would remove them directly from the ocean.

It should still need a Cites permit regardless

liverock
05/31/2015, 06:47 AM
Doesn't your rock contain Corals? AFAIK, putting rocks in the ocean to seed them and they become the same live rock as if you would remove them directly from the ocean.

It should still need a Cites permit regardless

Read this...

Old 12/07/2014, 05:57 PM #55
acabgd
Registered Member

I think I still have it, as I requested it from TBS. And it does say in Paragraph 3 that aquacultured LR is exempt from CITES, ie. you can import it to Canada.

acabgd is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 12/07/2014, 06:58 PM #56
Jiinx
Registered Member

can you post it here or email it to me? jiinx at hotmail . com

Jiinx is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 12/07/2014, 07:13 PM #57
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabgd View Post
I think I still have it, as I requested it from TBS. And it does say in Paragraph 3 that aquacultured LR is exempt from CITES, ie. you can import it to Canada.

You can import it into Canada..as long as it does not have visible corals on the rock....but if there is ANY coral even a solitary cup coral, requires two CITES permits...one from the US and one from Canada....and US Fish and Wildlife inspection and clearance fees. Total for all permits is about $500.....for each shipment...

So just drive it across, no permits and no fees needed...and nobody has ever had an issue doing it that way...just declare it as limestone...show them the invoice, and depending on the customs officer...a little tax sometimes...

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

Old 05/28/2015, 02:12 PM #58
liverock
RC Sponsor

This is how you drive live rock into Canada!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2504743

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com